Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 11:38 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

For years I've used Norton (currently Norton 360), and never had a problem. And, on my old computer I just renewed my license for Norton 360.

When I had a professional set up my new desktop tower yesterday, they suggested I rely only on Windows defender. And then also use the free version of Malware Bytes.

In reading a few articles it seems as if I would be better off to use the premium version of Malware Bytes since it runs all the time in the background.

So here are what seem to be my best options:

Windows Defender + Premium Malware Bytes

or

Norton 360 + Premium Malware Bytes.

Which is the better option?

And then I read this...can someone translate?: "So, what if you really, truly want to use Malwarebytes along with, say, Norton or McAfee AntiVirus Plus? You have to reach into the settings and configure Malwarebytes so it never registers with Security Center. That lets your existing antivirus remain active, while Windows Defender stays in the background. It took me a while to wrap my head around the whole process, I must admit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 11:45 AM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
Windows defender plus free malware bytes.
defender runs full time.
You might want to look at ccleaner for other utilities.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:05 PM

Thank you for responding, rjm1cc.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:22 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Seconded.

So everything went ok?

Old 05-08-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Seconded.

So everything went ok?
My USB hub was causing problems, so have ordered a new one by more mainstream company.
I didn't have documentation for a couple of small software programs I had, and was unable to contact the companies...so had to re-buy...but that was my fault.

The biggie...if indeed it is a biggie...was that I ordered 32 GB M2 Intel Optane which was supposed to be on a SSD, but instead it was installed on an HDD. I suppose they owe me something back on that...but not sure it's worth the hassle.

Thank you for asking.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:24 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Speaking of malware, people might want to reboot their routers:

F.B.I.’s Urgent Request: Reboot Your Router to Stop Russia-Linked Malware
Hundreds of thousands of home and office routers have been infected by the malware, which was created by the same group that hacked the Democratic National Committee.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/27/t...t-malware.html

Old 05-27-2018, 03:23 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
I suggest making a clone of your hard drive, after installing all the software (I do this before connecting to the internet for the first time to insure no traces of online connectivity is on the clone). When something goes wrong with your computer hard drive -- be it a physical failure or a virus attack -- just pop in the clone and repeat the process.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:13 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Speaking of malware, people might want to reboot their routers:

F.B.I.’s Urgent Request: Reboot Your Router to Stop Russia-Linked Malware
Hundreds of thousands of home and office routers have been infected by the malware, which was created by the same group that hacked the Democratic National Committee.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/27/t...t-malware.html

I just say this from the NY Times. Being from Russia and all the stuff on Russia spying on our computers you would think it would be all over the mainstream press. Have not heard it yet.

Rebooting the router does not seem that it should remove a malware program made by a professional.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:45 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I suggest making a clone of your hard drive, after installing all the software (I do this before connecting to the internet for the first time to insure no traces of online connectivity is on the clone). When something goes wrong with your computer hard drive -- be it a physical failure or a virus attack -- just pop in the clone and repeat the process.
This is a great concept except it's not very practical any more. Most advance software require an Internet connection to register and complete installation.
You'd have to do a partial installation of Office, then a partial of Acrobat, then of each game and other item, swapping out the install disks.

Now make a clone.
Now enable Internet and go back and re-insert the install disks for Office ... etc.

Also, more and more install programs are just mini-programs that go online to download the current version of the main install program.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:57 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
This is a great concept except it's not very practical any more. Most advance software require an Internet connection to register and complete installation.
You'd have to do a partial installation of Office, then a partial of Acrobat, then of each game and other item, swapping out the install disks.

Now make a clone.
Now enable Internet and go back and re-insert the install disks for Office ... etc.

Also, more and more install programs are just mini-programs that go online to download the current version of the main install program.
None of the software I use require an internet connection other than the browsers. I suggested installing the software first to save time, but you can always clone the hard drive before installing software. The internet caution thing is for me. No body else has to follow this exact procedure.

The point is whatever security software I use, cloning is still the backbone of the security measures I take. Plus the clone can be used as a portable, external hard drive for data storage as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers