U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 AM

2,913 posts, read 1,709,430 times

Advertisements

Every 5-10 years? You liked Windows 8 that much?

There are multiple reasons for the rapid update cycle, much as it can be a PITA. And note that updates are much more reliable than 10-15 years ago. Tech's development cycle is much more rapid, as are the movements of MS's competitiors - take a look at Chrome OS, which was nothing just a few years ago.

Most importantly, forced updates seem to be the only way to get most users to apply bug fixes, the ones that enable zombie machines and worse....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 08:24 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post
I can understand every 5 to 10 years, but doing this every year is really ridiculous.
5 to 10 YEARS?!?!?! Are you serious?
That's ridiculous. Every year should be the standard.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:42 AM

5,669 posts, read 5,273,641 times
The problem I see is that Microsoft appears unwilling or unable to update certain features unless they're part of a large-scale across the board seasonal update like 1803. That means updates to emerging tech such as WMR can take a long time to arrive and is accompanied by the package deal of all the other updates which might be undesired.

The Insider "rings" -- Skip Ahead, Fast, Slow, Release Preview -- are a way to mitigate at least some of the timeliness issue. A good percentage of WMR users are on the Insider program, for example, because it was the only way to get a lot of the WMR enhancements prior to the public 1803 release.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 AM

9,091 posts, read 6,403,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Every 5-10 years? You liked Windows 8 that much?

There are multiple reasons for the rapid update cycle, much as it can be a PITA. And note that updates are much more reliable than 10-15 years ago. Tech's development cycle is much more rapid, as are the movements of MS's competitiors - take a look at Chrome OS, which was nothing just a few years ago.

Most importantly, forced updates seem to be the only way to get most users to apply bug fixes, the ones that enable zombie machines and worse....
They're not forced. It's just that control over them is no longer part of the main settings menu.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:46 AM

I think the WMR issues are because demand is still very low. It's an emerging tech that may or may not take off for the mainstream, but it's certainly not mainstream yet. MS rightly so focuses on more mainstream issues, and those, like cross platform compatibility, where it has a unique position.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:45 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
I always wonder what it is about certain systems that cause all these problems hen both of ours went smoothly, except for the stupid button that wouldn't work. Is there something unusual about them?

Old 05-23-2018, 02:07 PM

9,091 posts, read 6,403,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I always wonder what it is about certain systems that cause all these problems hen both of ours went smoothly, except for the stupid button that wouldn't work. Is there something unusual about them?
Unusual? Maybe, or maybe not depending on how you define unusual. Different? Yes, with so many varied hardware and driver combos/configurations.

Yours went smoothly this time. But, if I'm remembering correctly, you said that the same update that killed my brand new Lenovo in late 2016 also crippled your wife's computer. But you were finally able to restore it somehow. I don't remember the details, just that you were tearing your hair with the rest of us in that update's immediate aftermath.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:22 PM

Trouble on updates? let's see. I've updated quite a few machines over the years - 3 laptops of varying age, so that would include upgrades to Win10, My desktop, built a long time ago, with piecemeal hardware upgrades since then, including new motherboards (installed the new HAL without a clean install, twice), and upgrades from XP. All to the current Win10 build.

Never a problem except for stuck updates.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:53 PM

13,543 posts, read 3,690,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Aside from the Hololens (MS's AR dev system), it means a line of lower-cost (a few of them were hovering around $199 for a while), plug-and-play, more portable PC-based VR headsets:
^^^^^ Thanks for posting the above.

I purchased a BL112DX model HP Spectre x360 on a closeout on 4/24/18.

A few days later I was at the Microsoft Store and noticed the VR area where they had space dedicated for people to be able to move around with the headsets on. The rep asked me about my computer, and told me that I wouldn't be able to use any of the headsets.

According to the link you provided, my computer is on that page as being mixed reality ready PC. It also meets the hardware definition that is given on one of the pages linked to that page.

Good to know that if I want to get a headset at a later date, I have that option .

Giving the rep the benefit of the doubt, those pages on the Microsoft site were updated or created on 4/30/18...so that particular information might not have been dispersed yet when I had the conversation with her.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:54 PM

5,669 posts, read 5,273,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
According to the link you provided, my computer is on that page as being mixed reality ready PC. It also meets the hardware definition that is given on one of the pages linked to that page.

Good to know that if I want to get a headset at a later date, I have that option
It'll drop down to 60Hz (instead of 90Hz), and you probably won't be running, say, Fallout4VR without some huge graphical sacrifices, but less intense things should run okay. Things that work through the WMR Portal / MS Store (as opposed to SteamVR) are more likely to work well, but some less demanding SteamVR stuff should be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or