U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:21 PM

9,066 posts, read 6,392,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I haven't really seen any difference between the two.

I have to keep a couple of my machines up to date to ensure that our software is compatible with the current version of Windows, and that we are PCI compliant, so I just leave updates on for those ones. As long as there are no issues with them, then I run the others manually (I use the metered network trick to keep updates from happening).
Maybe I should do that, too, as a backup now that I know they changed my update service setting without my consent or knowledge. Any downsides with other applications to using the metered network setting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 01:37 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
I haven't really seen any difference between the two.
Same. So i'd say the more current of the 2.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:10 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Maybe I should do that, too, as a backup now that I know they changed my update service setting without my consent or knowledge. Any downsides with other applications to using the metered network setting?
I've been running it on my main tower for about 18 months, and the only thing I notice is that I don't seem to get Defender updates. I get occasional notices that I need to update Defender, and I just run the update by hand.

You will still get small updates with this method, since the feature is designed to save bandwidth, not prevent updates.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I've been running it on my main tower for about 18 months, and the only thing I notice is that I don't seem to get Defender updates. I get occasional notices that I need to update Defender, and I just run the update by hand.

You will still get small updates with this method, since the feature is designed to save bandwidth, not prevent updates.
Thanks.

Interestingly, I have been getting Defender updates with the update service disabled, at least to the best of my knowledge. Defender has run regularly and always gives me the no threats found message. Never once have I had a threat, virus, or anything of the kind found in over 20 years online every day.

For now, I see nothing to gain by allowing 1803. So, though the risk of big trouble with an update may be small, I see no incentive to take any. Maybe I will when 1809 comes about. We'll see.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:22 AM

Disabled Windows Update again yesterday and this morning it is reset to manual. Got the same message again about "Can't install updates".

Wish I understood why this is happening now and never before, to the best of my knowledge. I've had Windows Update disabled for most of the last 2 years and there was never an indication that it ever changed. Never got any updates, nor error messages.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:41 PM

Now I'm starting to understand. I checked my installed update history and found these 2 updates were installed on Tuesday, 7/24 when my problems began.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...tation-service

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-update-relia

Just checked my Windows Update setting in services and it has already been changed again to manual. They have taken away my control.

Checked my Apps and Features list and found only the second one shown above. Uninstalled it, not that it will likely do any good. My guess is that it will be back soon.

Microsoft has clearly tightened the screws on their objective of complete control of your system. Seems you can no longer effectively disable Windows Update on Windows 10 Home. But I won't give up without a fight. There's gotta be a lot of talk about this on the NET, so my quest for more info shall begin.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:59 AM

28,619 posts, read 40,594,929 times
I've not had an update since May 21st. my settings have not been changed.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I've not had an update since May 21st. my settings have not been changed.
Do you have update kb4023057 installed? Apparently, it has been floating around for many months, but I didn't get it until last Tuesday. It appears to be the culprit in allowing Microsoft to change the Windows Update setting. I uninstalled it yesterday and so far, so good.

But I also made two other changes. On the Windows Update Log On tab, I changed it from log on as: Local System account to This account with .\Guest as the user name. That "reportedly" stops it from logging on. In addition, on the Recovery tab, I changed First failure to "Take No Action", so now all failure settings there are "Take No Action".

So I now have some new bars on the windows (no pun intended) that Microsoft is doing its best to bust through. It remains to be seen how long they'll hold up.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:16 PM

28,619 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Do you have update kb4023057 installed? Apparently, it has been floating around for many months, but I didn't get it until last Tuesday. It appears to be the culprit in allowing Microsoft to change the Windows Update setting. I uninstalled it yesterday and so far, so good.

But I also made two other changes. On the Windows Update Log On tab, I changed it from log on as: Local System account to This account with .\Guest as the user name. That "reportedly" stops it from logging on. In addition, on the Recovery tab, I changed First failure to "Take No Action", so now all failure settings there are "Take No Action".

So I now have some new bars on the windows (no pun intended) that Microsoft is doing its best to bust through. It remains to be seen how long they'll hold up.
No idea. I click on Update History and get three listings with 1803 being the last one in May and the only Windows update. The other two are for Adobe Reader and Windows Server Connector.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No idea. I click on Update History and get three listings with 1803 being the last one in May and the only Windows update. The other two are for Adobe Reader and Windows Server Connector.
Well that, no doubt, explains it. That "update" is officially for versions 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703 and 1709 for "update reliability". Translation....to take the (nearly) last bit of control of the update process away from the user. And I also read that they snuck it through as an application - like the store apps - as opposed to an update, so as to bypass the disabled setting that some of us are using for Windows Update. That's how they surprised me Tuesday with the same old update crap that I had turned off long ago. It was so nice, and so peaceful.

Which leads me to my next inevitable question. In version 1803, are you still able to access and disable Windows Update in services? I'm betting you're going to say no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or