U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:08 AM

28,631 posts, read 40,609,166 times

Advertisements

test

test click icon

test

test

hmmmm click icon

test

Nope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 11:11 AM

Just 'cause

test click icon

Now that was odd. I didn't get the extra space until after I clicked the icon and pressed Enter, but the extra space was added to the previous line break below Just 'cause, not the one after the icon.

WTH?

Old 05-11-2018, 11:54 AM

13,327 posts, read 20,377,508 times
I have been trying to do what you guys are talking about but...
nothing.
What am I doing right?

Old 05-11-2018, 12:45 PM

Are you using Firefox?

Key in a line. Press Enter. Key in a line. Press Enter again. Click the a/A icon at the top right corner of the Quick Reply dialog box. Key in a line. Press Enter. Key in a line. Press Enter again.

I get inconsistent results.

And as you can see it did it this time.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:27 PM

40,263 posts, read 41,823,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
WTH?

A standard text box only accepts characters, there is no formatting. If you make list and then click the A you'll see that behind it BBcode for formatting the list. This sites text box uses a WYSIWG editir that utlizes JS to function.

Something changed in FF with the line endings and the JS editor is interpreting them as two+ lines, another possibility is changes to how markup or CSS is used to render something. Not going to dig into as it's not my problem.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Are you using Firefox?

Key in a line. Press Enter. Key in a line. Press Enter again. Click the a/A icon at the top right corner of the Quick Reply dialog box. Key in a line. Press Enter. Key in a line. Press Enter again.

I get inconsistent results.

And as you can see it did it this time.

Firefox ona Mac, and fully updated.
I am following your instructions now.
Except this is the regular reply box.
Seems fine.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Firefox ona Mac, and fully updated.
I am following your instructions now.
Except this is the regular reply box.
Seems fine.

Except you didn't press Enter twice.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
A standard text box only accepts characters, there is no formatting. If you make list and then click the A you'll see that behind it BBcode for formatting the list. This sites text box uses a WYSIWG editir that utlizes JS to function.

Something changed in FF with the line endings and the JS editor is interpreting them as two+ lines, another possibility is changes to how markup or CSS is used to render something. Not going to dig into as it's not my problem.

Trying to remember something. Line break vs carriage return. Are they different? If so perhaps the wiz kids at Mozilla put in the wrong code.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:50 AM

40,263 posts, read 41,823,633 times
Quote:
Trying to remember something. Line break vs carriage return. Are they different? If so perhaps the wiz kids at Mozilla put in the wrong code.

This can get screwed up easily because each OS uses a different method for new line. For example when you are editing something meant for linux server on Win machine you should make sure you are saving the document compatible with linux. If you open a document with Notepad++ you will see down in the lower right it will list what type of new lines the document uses. Doing otherwise may or may not cause problems especially for anything executing, configuration files etc.

In this case since it's not injecting a new line after the the first return it may not have anything to do with it or only partly to do with it. These WYSIWYG editors typically use <br /> instead of formatting it with a <p> so that is potentially an issue as well.

It's also entirely possible it was previously a bug and the bug is now fixed and whatever work around was employed is now causing an issue.

There is long list of things it could be, if it were me troubleshooting it the first thing I'm going to look at is the text in the database to determine what is different. Is it <br /> being added? Is it a line and the output parser is adding a <br />? Looking at the HTML it self may provide some clues but you may end up chasing the wrong thing.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Except you didn't press Enter twice.

I followed your instructions
and hit enter

every time it said

to do so.

add:
I did it the same way as the other post. see new results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers