Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 01:30 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,793,342 times

Advertisements

Summary: Is there a way I can send a signal to my unit to tell it to restart/reboot JUST the WiFi part?

I have a combination Modem, Router, and WiFi: a Motorola SBG6580
It has worked well for several years, but I'm noticing (or have finally diagnosed) a problem.

About two - three times a week the WiFi just disappears. The signal lights on the front are unchanged but my smartphone and tablet both have WiFi signal strength apps and they both stop showing my WiFi signal at all.

Current fix: Log into the Moto, go to it's WiFi settings page, and disable WiFi, then enable WiFi, the signal reappears on the phone/tablet and they automatically reconnect and all's good.
(I could just toggle the power, and that also works, but the modem takes a couple of minutes to re-connect, and the WiFi switch off/on works in about 15 seconds).

I know there are various ways to do Factory Reset for the entire unit, and that is not what I want as I have other customization I don't wish to have to restore.

Details:
Win 7 (fully current)
Firefox (fully current)
WiFi set to use AES encryption
Apps showing signal existence/strength: Wifi Analyzer (by Kevin Yuan)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 08:57 AM

6,556 posts, read 11,179,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Summary:

Current fix: Log into the Moto, go to it's WiFi settings page, and disable WiFi, then enable WiFi, the signal reappears on the phone/tablet and they automatically reconnect and all's good.
(I could just toggle the power, and that also works, but the modem takes a couple of minutes to re-connect, and the WiFi switch off/on works in about 15 seconds).
You sort of answered your question here - no? You've basically "rebooted" the wifi adaptor. Are you simply looking for a different or more automated way to do this?

Is there a CLI option for your device? If so, you may be able to script the commands. But you'll likely also need to include the credentials in the script...

Old 05-14-2018, 08:40 AM

16,446 posts, read 19,462,446 times
Right?
Have you checked for a firmware update?

Old 05-14-2018, 01:19 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,237,864 times
My router has a setting to let me reboot from my computer but you have to be connected to the router to access.

If the firmware update does not work then reset the router to factory specifications and rebuild your network.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:16 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,465,878 times
I had a similar problem a while ago. Had to reboot once a month for a year. I bought a new modem/ router/WiFi unit. Problem solved

Old 05-14-2018, 05:24 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,895,917 times
if it had SSH, then you can do it via CLI. but that modem doesnt. Its just a bare basic modem at best. N300? not sure how many devices your connecting but man thats slow.

Step up and get least a Ac1200 router that will do you some great features your missing that you will enjoy.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
... Are you simply looking for a different or more automated way to do this?
Yes. I can fix the problem with a modem cold-start (too much time, as it takes several minutes to re-connect). Or with a Open Browser, Connect to Browser, enter browser password, select WiFi settings segment, command WiFi disabled, wait a second, command WiFi enabled. And it is immediately back on-line, but this takes a lot of keystrokes and not too much less time.
I'm hoping for a script that can be sent to the modem via the same process as a firmware upgrade, that injects a WiFI-only restart, after clearing my modem name/password security.

I know that a cable-input signal from my ISP can trigger a modem reboot, and I think they can also send a signal to trigger a reset-to-factory. What I'm hoping to stumble across is something similar that I can inject, that does only the WiFi reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Have you checked for a firmware update?
Yes, the problem continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
My router has a setting to let me reboot from my computer but you have to be connected to the router to access. If the firmware update does not work then reset the router to factory specifications and rebuild your network.
As I said, I'm not looking for a entire-unit reboot. And
as I said, I don't wish to do a factory reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I had a similar problem a while ago. Had to reboot once a month for a year. I bought a new modem/ router/WiFi unit. Problem solved
Thanks for the idea, but I'm hoping for a bit less expensive fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
if it had SSH, then you can do it via CLI. but that modem doesnt. Its just a bare basic modem at best. N300? not sure how many devices your connecting but man thats slow.
Step up and get least a Ac1200 router that will do you some great features your missing that you will enjoy.
Also, if you're suggesting I get a new/better modem with SSH & CLI it might be helpful if you also spelled out what that acronym mean.
N300: you lost me there. I made no mention of N300 or my throughput speed. (Which, FYI is 55/7 for a purchased 50/5, and quite fast enough for my needs).
FYI: One smartphones and two tablets are WiFi, (also printer, TV and probably pretty soon my electric toothbrush LOL), via WiFi. Those first three are the ones loosing net connectivity. My desktop is connected via cat-5 and it's connection is not a problem.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Yes. I can fix the problem with a modem cold-start (too much time, as it takes several minutes to re-connect). Or with a Open Browser, Connect to Browser, enter browser password, select WiFi settings segment, command WiFi disabled, wait a second, command WiFi enabled. And it is immediately back on-line, but this takes a lot of keystrokes and not too much less time.
I'm hoping for a script that can be sent to the modem via the same process as a firmware upgrade, that injects a WiFI-only restart, after clearing my modem name/password security.

I know that a cable-input signal from my ISP can trigger a modem reboot, and I think they can also send a signal to trigger a reset-to-factory. What I'm hoping to stumble across is something similar that I can inject, that does only the WiFi reset.

Yes, the problem continues.

As I said, I'm not looking for a entire-unit reboot. And
as I said, I don't wish to do a factory reset.

Also, if you're suggesting I get a new/better modem with SSH & CLI it might be helpful if you also spelled out what that acronym mean.
N300: you lost me there. I made no mention of N300 or my throughput speed. (Which, FYI is 55/7 for a purchased 50/5, and quite fast enough for my needs).
FYI: One smartphones and two tablets are WiFi, (also printer, TV and probably pretty soon my electric toothbrush LOL), via WiFi. Those first three are the ones loosing net connectivity. My desktop is connected via cat-5 and it's connection is not a problem.
SSH is secure shell. This basically allows you to remote to your router via a command line interface (CLI). If you want to go the script route, you'll essentially need a router that supports the ability to open a shell with it. This is via SSH or Telnet. The latter is not recommended as the connection is not secured (and in this case, you're passing admin credentials).

You're basically telling the router to bring down the wireless interface, and then bring it up again. As you said, most routers are web/gui enabled. So this requires you to open a browser, type in the IP address of your router, login, navigate to the interface page, and restart the interface. Having the ability accept commands via a CLI is likely the easiest way as you can just script the necessary commands. Once done, can simply run the command whenever needed.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
SSH is secure shell. This basically allows you to remote to your router via a command line interface (CLI). If you want to go the script route, you'll essentially need a router that supports the ability to open a shell with it. This is via SSH or Telnet. The latter is not recommended as the connection is not secured (and in this case, you're passing admin credentials).

You're basically telling the router to bring down the wireless interface, and then bring it up again. As you said, most routers are web/gui enabled. So this requires you to open a browser, type in the IP address of your router, login, navigate to the interface page, and restart the interface. Having the ability accept commands via a CLI is likely the easiest way as you can just script the necessary commands. Once done, can simply run the command whenever needed.

Thanks for giving a name to the capability I was looking for. As mine doesn't have it, I guess I'll have to muddle through until it dies and I get a new one. (Besides, it's been a LONG time since I did anything with Telnet, and really don't want to climb that learning curve again! )

Old 05-16-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for giving a name to the capability I was looking for. As mine doesn't have it, I guess I'll have to muddle through until it dies and I get a new one. (Besides, it's been a LONG time since I did anything with Telnet, and really don't want to climb that learning curve again! )
Not sure how often you're requiring to do this. But as a cheaper alternative, you can get a timer (i.e. for lights) that will reboot the router when you aren't using it - like in the middle of the night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers