U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 01:17 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,680,940 times

Advertisements

Wow, y'all! I love this thread, except for the sad parts, of course. Peregrine, I always wondered about your name, but hadn't asked for whatever reason. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to do that retrieval.

I've been watching raptor web cams for a few years and know what it is to love those creatures. Big Red (red tail hawk) over at Cornell is probably my favourite, though Iris (osprey) out at Hellgate is a close second.

Sorry, I'm thread-drifting here. But I'm so glad this thread was put in Computers; wouldn't have seen it else-wise. Thanks for the new link!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 01:25 PM

2,715 posts, read 3,006,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Zenith, the 12 year old returning female. She migrated to South America every year. This new bird was born nearby at LTV Steel and never developed an urge to migrate. She left her parents at LTV and hooked up with Zeniths mate who was also a non migrator. The downtown nest site is prime real estate in the Falcon world.
People think birds migrate because it gets cold, as I'm sure you know that is not why. They migrate for one reason: they follow the food. Well when your food source is pigeons and sea gulls that also don't migrate, there's no need to leave.
I watched her for 8 years. I watched her battle above and on the streets of downtown Cleveland. I watched her get killed. I retrieved her body. It was really sad for me. I loved that bird.

Very sad. Proves it doesn't pay to leave home. Not even for birds.

The nest (Ameren St Louis ) had a note that streaming is not available. Banding day, of course. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:56 AM

A sad story this morning. We knew we'd had that wind but we kept thinking of camera damage. Instead we learn what really happened. Check the Ask Jeff page. I'll say no more except keep up a bit of hope.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:49 PM

Good News! The baby that survived is back in the nest and mama has fed it. Be sure to read Ask Jeff. It's a girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or