U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 07:52 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,002,511 times

Advertisements

This would come nearer being seen in the St Louis section but I have decided it is a computer problem. At the Ameren Sioux electrical plant north of St Louis we have a nest where falcons rear young each spring. I am trying to watch but when I turn it on it is live for about five seconds and then goes still. My friends all says theirs is fine.

The "maybe" problem: I have a folder in Thunderbird which has URL links to various places that I visit. What it has is emails with links that I saved to this folder. The falcon nest link is one. Several days ago, this falcon nest link suddenly jumped out of position to another position in the list of links. Later it dropped down to another position. The problem started after that.

I recently had an update to both Thunderbird and to Firefox. I never know whether Firefox is controlling Thunderbird or - as a friend insists - only Thunderbird controls Thunderbird. So, I do not know what caused all this rearrangement in the long list.

Has anyone a good idea for me to try? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 01:38 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Have one of your friends that is not having the problem send you the link in an email. If clicking the link works correctly save the link as a bookmark in Firefox, not Thunderbird.

I get a blank screen in both Firefox and Chrome. Have they stopped broadcasting because the chicks have left the nest?

Old 05-13-2018, 02:05 PM

5,416 posts, read 8,781,614 times
Odd... 2 hours ago I was able to see Hazel's issue re "video stops after 5 sec" in both FireFox and Safari.

Now both are blank screens like Tek says.

In Jeff's FAQs he did say he planned on banding the chicks tomorrow the 14th, Maybe he decided to do it today instead ?

Link = https://www.ameren.com/Falcon-Watch

FWIW he is using a video player called "Wowza". Never heard of it before.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Have one of your friends that is not having the problem send you the link in an email. If clicking the link works correctly save the link as a bookmark in Firefox, not Thunderbird.

I get a blank screen in both Firefox and Chrome. Have they stopped broadcasting because the chicks have left the nest?
Tek, I did just that this morning. And here you are saying your screens are also blank. You are the first person to say that. Everyone I have asked has been saying theirs are fine. I still have a sneaky suspicion that they are looking at two sleeping chicks and thinking all is well. Then not hanging around long enough to see what soon comes.

I did send a note to Jeff but I'm sure he will not reply --- hmmm --- I started to say until tomorrow. But tomorrow is banding day for the chicks. So, may be Tuesday before I hear anything. We did have a bad wind the night before this started. That's why I first thought it was their camera. I can only wait and see. if it doesn't come back it will not ruin my life. But they are fun to watch as they grow and fledge.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Odd... 2 hours ago I was able to see Hazel's issue re "video stops after 5 sec" in both FireFox and Safari.

Now both are blank screens like Tek says.

In Jeff's FAQs he did say he planned on banding the chicks tomorrow the 14th, Maybe he decided to do it today instead ?

Link = https://www.ameren.com/Falcon-Watch

FWIW he is using a video player called "Wowza". Never heard of it before.
And you, Reed, are the second to say you are also getting blank screens. A thought? If you are using Safari, I take it you have a Mac. I have a Mac. Don't know what Tek has. All my (few) friends who have said "fine" use Windows. I wonder .... But it has been just fine until the last couple of days.

We shall see. No, I don't think he would band them today, being a Sunday as well as (isn't it) mother's day?

Thank you both.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:41 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
I'm a PC user and on Windows 10 using Firefox. Chrome did the same thing.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'm a PC user and on Windows 10 using Firefox. Chrome did the same thing.
Thanks. We'll see what happens after the banding. Doesn't seem like it's been long enough for that to be due. Time flies.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:47 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Yea, it's down now.

I was a volunteer nest monitor for the downtown Cleveland falcons for a few years. Hence my handle.

Actually witnessed a fight to the death one year when the returning female came home and found an interloper in her nest.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, it's down now.

I was a volunteer nest monitor for the downtown Cleveland falcons for a few years. Hence my handle.

Actually witnessed a fight to the death one year when the returning female came home and found an interloper in her nest.
Ouch! Which one died? Last year we had one slip and fall to his death. They simply will stand on the edge of the box. That's where he was when mama (or papa) came in with food. He got excited to get back into the nest, missed his step and was gone.

They are such fun to watch once they start fledging and trying their wings. It gets scary sometimes watching their daring-dos.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:29 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Zenith, the 12 year old returning female. She migrated to South America every year. This new bird was born nearby at LTV Steel and never developed an urge to migrate. She left her parents at LTV and hooked up with Zeniths mate who was also a non migrator. The downtown nest site is prime real estate in the Falcon world.
People think birds migrate because it gets cold, as I'm sure you know that is not why. They migrate for one reason: they follow the food. Well when your food source is pigeons and sea gulls that also don't migrate, there's no need to leave.
I watched her for 8 years. I watched her battle above and on the streets of downtown Cleveland. I watched her get killed. I retrieved her body. It was really sad for me. I loved that bird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or