U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 05:33 PM

9,979 posts, read 7,591,093 times

Advertisements

Take out screws.. lift.. That's really all it is. I haven't seen a ribbon cable connected to a drive board in years. There's usually one socket style connector that brings all the signals from the board to the internals of the drive.

Your biggest problem will be finding a torx screwdriver.. Especially if it's a 2.5" drive as those screws are tiny.

Well.. And not losing the screws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 08:29 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
My backup routine years ago used to be that every time I would fill up a hard drive, which happened about once a year, I would buy a new one twice the size. The old drive would become my backup. Which I never really needed anyway. Because the hard drives would always last at least a year, or they might fail right away, in which case I had the backup on the old drive.
Well I hope you've at least learned there are some serious flaws in your backup strategy.

The PRO version of what I use is $25.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:26 PM

4,915 posts, read 2,509,651 times
i've had good luck with photorec.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:14 PM

701 posts, read 994,547 times
Quote:
So I pulled the hard drive and put it in an external enclosure ...
Is it possible the external enclosure is faulty? To eliminate this possibility, connect the drive to the other computer directly, with cable that you know is working.

- I encountered a similar situation years ago, old Mac Powerbook with a drive gone bad. I did exactly what you did - put the suspected faulty drive into an enclosure I had, and plugged that into another Mac. It was powering up, being read. But something seemed off. Byte counts and all. After a bit of debugging, found out that the enclosure was faulty. Plugged the drive directly and recovered all my data.

Quote:
...and hooked it up to another computer. The hard drive seems to power up just fine. It makes normal hard drive clicking sounds for 10 or 15 seconds, and then it shuts down. It shows up on the computer as an unrecognized device. ....
- The other computer is also a Mac? If it's a Windows, it won't recognize the drive - different file system. You'd be better off using a Linux machine, which can read both Mac and Windows file systems.

In fact, I'd spend a few minutes seeing if a Linux live disk can read your faulty drive and recover data from it. Sure sounds like that drive is dying.

And that is my 2-cents.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:34 PM

5,865 posts, read 2,408,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Is it possible the external enclosure is faulty? To eliminate this possibility, connect the drive to the other computer directly, with cable that you know is working.

- I encountered a similar situation years ago, old Mac Powerbook with a drive gone bad. I did exactly what you did - put the suspected faulty drive into an enclosure I had, and plugged that into another Mac. It was powering up, being read. But something seemed off. Byte counts and all. After a bit of debugging, found out that the enclosure was faulty. Plugged the drive directly and recovered all my data.

- The other computer is also a Mac? If it's a Windows, it won't recognize the drive - different file system. You'd be better off using a Linux machine, which can read both Mac and Windows file systems.

In fact, I'd spend a few minutes seeing if a Linux live disk can read your faulty drive and recover data from it. Sure sounds like that drive is dying.

And that is my 2-cents.
Thanks for your response. Actually it's not an enclosure. It's a Voyager hard drive dock, connected to my MacBook with a Firewire cable. It's a pretty simple device. I've used it often and it always works perfect. Unfortunately, I don't have a Linux machine. Maybe next week when I take it to the Mac shop, they might have a Linux machine to check it with.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:32 PM

40,296 posts, read 41,850,213 times
Quote:
I don't have a Linux machine.

Don't need one..... Not sure about results on Mac machine though.

KNOPPIX - Live Linux Filesystem On CD

Old 05-21-2018, 04:57 AM

1 posts, read 207 times
As you described the clicking noise for 10-15 seconds, i believe it is a logical/mechanical failure of hard drive which will be best take care by data recovery services like Stellar Data Recovery. Software will not guarantee data recovery in case of clicking noise.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:31 PM

5,865 posts, read 2,408,070 times
Update: I dropped the hard drive off at the Mac store today, so they could send it to their data recovery service. Unfortunately they did some bait an switch on me. They jacked their advertised price from $300 to $500. The tech claimed that $300 was only to recover pictures. It would cost $500 to recover all the data. I don't really have any choice, so I agreed to it.

Talking to the tech he thought it was strange that the software and hardware issues had occurred at the same time. He wasn't sure what that meant, but he was confident that they could recover the data. I don't have to pay anything if they can't recover the data.

So that is where I'm at now.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:47 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
That's actually a great price.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:00 AM

40,296 posts, read 41,850,213 times
That's not a bad price but the change in price is a little bit absurd. The difficulty here is being able to transfer the data, not what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or