U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 04:06 PM

21,798 posts, read 12,480,120 times

Advertisements

Thanks fastninja and peregrine!

I really couldn't tell the difference, and honestly it will likely make no difference to me, but hearing that a gaming unit has some additional benefits beyond the graphics card is good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
- much better graphics card (4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 vs. Intel UHD Graphics 620). This alone is worth the $80 price difference to me. I gather your son is still young. But a year goes fast. Wait till he starts whining to you about wanting a better computer for his games. Plug in the laptop to a big monitor at home to see the difference. Then again, maybe you might not want your son to get into gaming. Which would be too bad.
My son is 13. He likes the stuff he likes but doesn't seem to be inclined to get more into gaming than he already is. I'm not adverse to it (I do have some limits regarding violent games but he's fine with that aspect) and yes, he's young enough that could still change, he starts high school this fall and may meet different people who expose him new things to try.

I am not a Costco member but have a family member who is and is willing to buy things for me there. I just need to check to see if they have the Costco Visa that gives the extra warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 08:26 PM

14,529 posts, read 16,550,147 times
Get the Costco Dell or Acer Nitro 5. GTX 1050 is fine for some gaming. Integrated graphics is not. There's not that much difference between an 8250U and 7300HQ, probably around 5-10%. The 8250U is mostly more power efficient so you get 5-10% CPU performance in a thinner and lighter package but that also means less battery.

Both Dells have the same real problem though, which is horrible displays. If you want the 8th gen architecture, a better choice would be the Acer Aspire E. It also has a bad display, but it's bad instead of horrible, almost double the battery life, and it has an MX150 discrete GPU so it will play some lighter games. It's not really a gaming laptop but if you drop down to 1280x720 and low settings it can play most games.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA....223530.0.html

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i...reative=165953

The current generation Dell Gaming laptop or Dell G3 series both use displays that are typical for laptops in that price range. They're bad but no worse than what anyone else is using. Not likely to get them for $600 though, especially not with an SSD. They go on sale periodically a bit over though.

Last edited by Malloric; 05-18-2018 at 08:35 PM..

Old 05-18-2018, 09:47 PM

28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Thanks for all the input. I happened to see one of our IT people and chatted with him a bit. He was pretty persuasive about getting one with an SSD drive

I've also discovered that computers are kind of like buying mattresses - every store has their own slightly different version which makes it tough to directly compare apples to apples to see who has the best price.

So for instance

https://m.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-1...100397512.html

vs

Dell Inspiron 15 5570 15.6" Laptop Computer - Silver I5570-5395SLV-P - Micro Center

More or less the same - $20 price difference isn't going to be a deciding factor. Going by comparisons, one has a better processor, the other has a better video card. Unless someone can point out a significant difference that I'm not seeing?
Warranty.

Costco gives a second year. If you use their credit card (We got one when we bought our TV) they give an additional two years for a total of a four year warranty.

Edit: Just noticed this is a repeat, but you can't make the point too many times.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:54 PM

I'm just going to drop this here for you all to look at. I'm too tired tonight to dig into it.

https://slickdeals.net/deals/filtere...B%5D=45395&r=1

Old 05-19-2018, 03:55 PM

701 posts, read 994,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I am not a Costco member but have a family member who is and is willing to buy things for me there. I just need to check to see if they have the Costco Visa that gives the extra warranty.
On my way home from work, I dropped by Costco for stuff. I checked out whether the two laptops (Acer Nitro and Dell i5 Gaming) were in stock. Nope. They had even better models, but at a higher price. So that $599.99 price might be online only then.

Maybe you don't need to get a Costco Visa card. Having the standard 2-year warranty from Costco should be sufficient. In most cases, if something is going to go wrong with the laptop, if should happen within the first 2 years. We got our Costco Visa card as replacements when Costco dropped the AMEX cards a few years ago.

Anyway, good luck on your purchase.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:57 PM

701 posts, read 994,305 times
Is anybody else having a problem with a double-space being added between paragraphs?

Like so? ^^ I've noticed this only when posting here on city-data forum. On the three browsers Firefox, Brave and Chrome.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:08 PM

21,798 posts, read 12,480,120 times
Quote:
On my way home from work, I dropped by Costco for stuff. I checked out whether the two laptops (Acer Nitro and Dell i5 Gaming) were in stock. Nope. They had even better models, but at a higher price. So that $599.99 price might be online only then.

Maybe you don't need to get a Costco Visa card. Having the standard 2-year warranty from Costco should be sufficient. In most cases, if something is going to go wrong with the laptop, if should happen within the first 2 years. We got our Costco Visa card as replacements when Costco dropped the AMEX cards a few years ago.

Anyway, good luck on your purchase.
Ended up getting the Acer Nitro at Costco. They did not have the Dell in stock, I would have had to order it, which I didn't want to deal with - we have porch pirates who steal things and I would have needed to take time off work to accept the delivery.

It was marked as 649 in the computer department, but was on sale for 599 at checkout so that was a nice surprise. We did get the Costco Visa so I could get the extra 2 year warranty.

It's been taking a while to download and install all the updates, but so far, so good. I've got myself set up and kiddo is setting up his own profile now.

The biggest issue for me is getting used to Windows 10 - I am due for an upgrade on my work computer, but for now, still running Windows 7. I'm sure using it for a day or two will take care of that, though.

And holy cow, it's fast in terms of browsing, and when I set up Office and opening up documents.

I think we are going to be very happy with it and again, thanks to all for the input!

Last edited by emm74; 05-19-2018 at 05:19 PM..

Old 05-20-2018, 12:17 AM

Congratulations!

Old 05-20-2018, 05:16 AM

9,079 posts, read 6,399,436 times
Quote:
Is anybody else having a problem with a double-space being added between paragraphs?

Like so? ^^ I've noticed this only when posting here on city-data forum. On the three browsers Firefox, Brave and Chrome.
Yes, there are a couple of other threads about it....

Keyboard/spacing issue

JS editor is broken, it's producing multiple new lines.

I posted a Firefox 60 fix in the second one.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:45 AM

11,832 posts, read 13,971,314 times
Good call on the Nitro. I'm actually not a huge Acer fan but it's been quite a few years since my (horrendous) experience with support

Quote:
Wait till he starts whining to you about wanting a better computer for his games.
QFT (Quote for Truth)

Re: Windows 10. I think the thing that really throws off (and annoys people) are the TILES in Win10. Right click each of them > UNPIN. Get rid of those. What a jumbled mess IMO. This will allow you to resize the Start menu (or whatever we are calling that these days) to make it almost Windows 7-ish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or