U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 12:28 PM

21,798 posts, read 12,489,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Good call on the Nitro. I'm actually not a huge Acer fan but it's been quite a few years since my (horrendous) experience with support

QFT (Quote for Truth)

Re: Windows 10. I think the thing that really throws off (and annoys people) are the TILES in Win10. Right click each of them > UNPIN. Get rid of those. What a jumbled mess IMO. This will allow you to resize the Start menu (or whatever we are calling that these days) to make it almost Windows 7-ish.
I wasn't a big Acer fan either, but when I got my mom a new Chromebook last year, that ended up being the most recommended one for her needs, and it's worked great. Hopefully this laptop will continue to work as well.

But honestly, I think they all pretty much suck at support when you happen to need it. Fingers crossed we never will!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 01:20 PM

14,543 posts, read 16,560,769 times
Quote:
Good call on the Nitro. I'm actually not a huge Acer fan but it's been quite a few years since my (horrendous) experience with support

QFT (Quote for Truth)

Re: Windows 10. I think the thing that really throws off (and annoys people) are the TILES in Win10. Right click each of them > UNPIN. Get rid of those. What a jumbled mess IMO. This will allow you to resize the Start menu (or whatever we are calling that these days) to make it almost Windows 7-ish.
Personally I like the tiles. Given my default method of launching most things is to simply hit the windows key and type the first few letters. The I guess traditional way of opening things by scrolling through and clicking is really just for when I forget the name of something. Not that it's high value, but just being able to hit the windows key and see the windows calendar is nice. Given about the only things I use it for are weather and the calendar. I went more the opposite way and shrunk the start menu down a bit.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:21 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
Quote:
I've found that it is a great tool for the most used programs. I have a total of seven tiles on mine. Word, Excel, Notepad, Snipping Tool, Calculator, Paint Shop Pro, and Photos (Probably going to remove it since I find I use it so seldom). It keeps the Taskbar from adding that second column (mine is vertical at the left side) which creates the need to click on the little scroll bar to get to the rest of the icons. I use the Taskbar and Tiles for a lot of links.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:26 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Given my default method of launching most things is to simply hit the windows key and type the first few letters.
This is exactly what I do. Love this. Work PC = no tiles. Home PC = no tiles. My laptop I decided "OK, I will give tiles a try". Still rarely use them.
Window Key + Wor... *enter*

lol

Old 05-22-2018, 10:33 AM

701 posts, read 994,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yes, there are a couple of other threads about it....

Keyboard/spacing issue

JS editor is broken, it's producing multiple new lines.

I posted a Firefox 60 fix in the second one.

Thanks for the info, CrownVic95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or