U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 08:50 AM

11,316 posts, read 17,865,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Agree with Mallorics first post. Get the 4 to equal 8. You don't need 16. I promise you... you don't need 16 for "testing websites and internet browsing". People always want to go big on RAM, and I get it, why not? Must be better?!? It's not always: 8 is good for just about anyone NOT into gaming or video editing.
I also mentioned my Adobe CC products, only have Photoshop on it now and can barely handle it. Adobe does recommend 8gb, says minimum 4.

I run many tabs at once while I’m working and it seriously taxes the current set up. When I need to open a third browser, it really complains. Browsers have gotten so heavy, especially Chrome.

It is a gaming friend of mine that thinks I should get 32gb, of course.... I definitely knew I didn’t need that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 09:11 AM

11,316 posts, read 17,865,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Typing "system" in the start menu will list the processor then as that particularly family of laptops come in everything from N/Celeron up to i7. The i5 according to Acer's website all have DDR3L memory.

Use either CPU-Z (https://www.cpuid.com/) or HW Info (https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) to check the type of memory. Personally I like CPU-Z. If it's DDR3, it's almost assuredly DDR3L. I think everything post 4th generation is DDR3L but I'm not 100% positive on that. Just get a stick of DDR3L if it's DDR3. DDR3L will work at either 1.5 or 1.35 volt. DDR3 will only work at 1.5 volt. If you pull the actual memory and it says 4GB blah blah PC3L on the sticker it's DDR3L. Regular DDR3 is PC3.

https://www.dell.com/support/article...emory-?lang=en

If it's an i5-6300u with the optional 920 discrete graphics, maybe worthwhile springing for the 16GB of RAM. The 920 isn't really noteworthy. Better than the HD 520 integrated graphics, about the same as HD 620 on the newer 7th/8th generation CPUs. Still, it's something and it offloads that from the CPU which is its own benefit.

It's an i5-6200U. The Acer website specs on the computer told me to get DDR4. I looked at the one I have now and it's a 2133P. My gaming friend suggested I buy one or two new chips of the same size in 2400, since all the numbers must match.

Microcenter sold me an 8gb 2400 Crucial chip (maybe returning) without knowing or telling me that it wouldn't be compatible with what I had. The guy did open the back of the laptop to look. I came home happy that I'd be fine with my new 12gb laptop, and my husband shook his head at me and sent me to talk to gamer friend who builds his own computers. I'm really getting schooled on RAM these past 2 days.

Now I'm thinking of pulling out the existing chip and using the 8gb microcenter chip, and I can add another 8 later if I still want to. I now know I probably could have gotten it for a few dollars cheaper.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:46 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
I trust gamer dude told you what I just said: 8 is plenty. Just use the 1 stick for now.

For future reference or for anyone else reading later, as DavidT1 posted earlier do yourself a favor and buy your memory from Crucial.com
They have a scanner online that will scan your computer. It will tell you how much and what kind of RAM you have. It will then list out EVERY compatible RAM type. On top of this easy peasy usable website, all their memory is 100% guaranteed for LIFE.
And yes... I have put that warranty to the test. I didn't even need a receipt.
The ONLY place I buy RAM and the only place I've bought RAM in over 10 years... personally and professionally.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:01 PM

14,514 posts, read 16,536,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
It's an i5-6200U. The Acer website specs on the computer told me to get DDR4. I looked at the one I have now and it's a 2133P. My gaming friend suggested I buy one or two new chips of the same size in 2400, since all the numbers must match.

Microcenter sold me an 8gb 2400 Crucial chip (maybe returning) without knowing or telling me that it wouldn't be compatible with what I had. The guy did open the back of the laptop to look. I came home happy that I'd be fine with my new 12gb laptop, and my husband shook his head at me and sent me to talk to gamer friend who builds his own computers. I'm really getting schooled on RAM these past 2 days.

Now I'm thinking of pulling out the existing chip and using the 8gb microcenter chip, and I can add another 8 later if I still want to. I now know I probably could have gotten it for a few dollars cheaper.
They do not.

You can mix match an 8GB and 4GB stick. It MIGHT cause interoperability problems. But then again, so might buying the exact same RAM from a different batch as is in your current PC. If your laptop doesn't support asynchronous dual channel, it will just run single-channel. You'll take a performance hit but it's not the end of the world.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:46 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Missed that your gamer buddy said 32. Well I just lost respect for him there.
32 is a waste of money. Even for a gamer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers