U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 10:52 AM

823 posts, read 1,325,231 times

Advertisements

I own an asus x540sa pentium 4.0gb 64bit win10 laptop for a couple years or so. In the last several months, the wifi connection fails and seems like at first, asus needed a restart and internet connection resumed. But here lately, I'm having to restart the router (att product) to get back the internet service. I'm thinking it's the asus or maybe an app that has moved in without my direct input. and the app I'm wondering about is called GOOGLE 'Back up and sync'. It seems to be running 24/7 and I did not pick or purchase it from the google store.

Reason I lean this way is my cheap little lenovo tab is not affected by the internet connection (same wifi system) problem when the asus loses the connection. or my lg phone.

I have the option to uninstall the GOOGLE app but I wonder if this is the solution or what the real problem may be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 12:42 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,290,077 times
Start with the cheapest solution first. Remove the google service, move your wifi away from the wall more. If you have more then one device, check and see if they are dropping the signal. If so, then your router could be on the stink. I have a AC1900 that been hit by lighting twice ( surge protector) but last strike think it screw something up as it is dropping like crazy now. I have a spare AC1300, but the range on it sucks.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:59 PM

4,915 posts, read 2,509,651 times
do other devices work on the same router ?:
since the tablet still worx, i doubt the router is bruk up.

does the laptop work on other routers ?:
i would run a linux live-usb to see if the laptop can still connect to the router.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:13 PM

1,966 posts, read 898,610 times
Open Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Open Your Wireless LAN Card properties > Click on Power Management tab..the option that is given to turn off the device to save power might be checked. So uncheck that. Another option is that is might be a problem with your wireless card. You might try a USB wireless stick instead if you have an empty usb port.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:18 PM

4,635 posts, read 3,969,190 times
No expertize. WiFi works ok on two devices and not the third.
Could be due to the IP address used by the computer is being dropped in the router or vice versa. Their is a concept of renting IP address. You may also be able to hard code the IP address. Point is the router and computer may have different IP's.

I had a similar problem on a Microsoft Surface Pro. I had to use the restore command in windows to go back to a time period the wifi worked. No idea what caused the problem but it happened enough I bought a new computer. Now both work fine.

I would reboot the modem to the internet and also your router. I would pull the plug and leave unplugged for a minuter or two. I don't know if this would help reset your computer IP address but since it is easy to do I would try it. By unplugging the modem you are forcing a new connection to your internet provider.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:40 PM

175 posts, read 236,373 times
See if there is a driver update available for your wifi. Go to system manufacturer's support site as well as wifi manufacturer's support site.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
See if there is a driver update available for your wifi. Go to system manufacturer's support site as well as wifi manufacturer's support site.
griff, my initial thought was 'OK, this dang att router is almost 2 years old, time for a new one. My Internet service has been this way all along. and besides the connection problems, not mentioned (or maybe just forgot to include) is the drastic slowdown of my internet speeds.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:48 AM

3,989 posts, read 2,627,494 times
You mention AT&T. What type of service is it? If it's DSL, it's well known that at certain times it will slow down. As for the router disconnecting, does this happen from other devices or just from the laptop? There may be other causes if it's just the laptop.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You mention AT&T. What type of service is it? If it's DSL, it's well known that at certain times it will slow down. As for the router disconnecting, does this happen from other devices or just from the laptop? There may be other causes if it's just the laptop.
yes, DSL, and I think it's just the laptop connection.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:31 PM

11,346 posts, read 17,884,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
I own an asus x540sa pentium 4.0gb 64bit win10 laptop for a couple years or so. In the last several months, the wifi connection fails and seems like at first, asus needed a restart and internet connection resumed. But here lately, I'm having to restart the router (att product) to get back the internet service. I'm thinking it's the asus or maybe an app that has moved in without my direct input. and the app I'm wondering about is called GOOGLE 'Back up and sync'. It seems to be running 24/7 and I did not pick or purchase it from the google store.

Reason I lean this way is my cheap little lenovo tab is not affected by the internet connection (same wifi system) problem when the asus loses the connection. or my lg phone.

I have the option to uninstall the GOOGLE app but I wonder if this is the solution or what the real problem may be...
Do you use google drive?

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to...-sync-3673223/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers