U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 02:31 PM

5,727 posts, read 6,919,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
When I find these resource hoggers, I kill them with task manager. Stops them dead in their tracks.
Scripts running in the browser don't show up in Task Manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 03:47 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,706,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
A script will also never show high CPU usage. The browser process will, though. Perhaps you didn't know this? Anyway, it's the browser I kill/terminate. That takes the scripts down with it. Simple, no?

Old 06-04-2018, 05:20 AM

40,284 posts, read 41,830,220 times
Quote:
After an inadvertent update to FireFox to 4X.X.something (from a very old version) I began having issues with memory and processing. I discovered that FF memory usage grows and grows and grows, and everything slows down; FF starts becoming non-responsive and other programs experience significant delays.

This was long running problem in the past but I haven't had issues recently.

Quote:
More and more websites these days are using scripts to perform various 'functions'

You are going to have more and more difficulties using modern websites without JavaScript enabled. There is an enormous amount of things you can do with it to make things easy for the user. Let's say you are looking at a list of products on a page. Instead of loading the entire page again just the list can be dynamically updated based on user input with javascript.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:46 PM

3,985 posts, read 2,621,513 times
Quote:
After an inadvertent update to FireFox to 4X.X.something (from a very old version) I began having issues with memory and processing. I discovered that FF memory usage grows and grows and grows, and everything slows down; FF starts becoming non-responsive and other programs experience significant delays. The more windows and tabs that are open, the worse the issue becomes. Even after shutting down all instances of FF, it can take 15 minutes or more for the system to become usable again. I have used Task Manager to observe, and even after FF is shut down and the windows closed, FF still remains in the list with a gradual decrease in memory usage until it is finally gone.

Experiments have shown that a significant amount of the problem seems to be scripts that continue to run even if that window/tab does not have the focus. I had to install the NoScript add-on after the 'update' removed the once easily accessible option to simply start/stop scripts globally.

More and more websites these days are using scripts to perform various 'functions' (which may or may not be desirable), including pushing advertising and tracking. I now use NoScript and RequestPolicy to cut back on some of this unwanted activity. At some point I will find one of my older versions of FF and blow away this 'new' and 'improved' version.
This is the main reason I stopped using FF and went with chrome. I will tell you that Chrome is a memory hog as well but doesn't seem to bog down like FF. Firefox however did re-vamp their software soon after I quit using it.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:24 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
The last few versions of FF haven't been memory hogs. OTHO the last version screws up making paragraphs on CD. I dropped back to v59.0.3 (64-bit) and paragraphing woks as expected.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
A script will also never show high CPU usage.
Gee, isn't that what I said?

Quote:
The browser process will, though. Perhaps you didn't know this? Anyway, it's the browser I kill/terminate. That takes the scripts down with it. Simple, no?
What part of "Even after shutting down all instances of FF..." did you not understand?

I think your Reading & Comprehension skills could use some work.

Last edited by Zymer; 06-09-2018 at 03:07 PM..

Old 06-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You are going to have more and more difficulties using modern websites without JavaScript enabled. There is an enormous amount of things you can do with it to make things easy for the user. Let's say you are looking at a list of products on a page. Instead of loading the entire page again just the list can be dynamically updated based on user input with javascript.
Yes, I'm aware of that. But often I neither need nor want it, and in the older versions of FF there was an easily accessible checkbox to enable/disable it. That option disappeared from the newer version(s), which required the installation of an add-on to regain that functionality. Granted, the add-on offers many more options but...I liked the simplicity of the older version.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:22 PM

20,725 posts, read 14,670,694 times
Quote:
Thanks for that tip.

Nothing shows up on Task Manager or Process Explorer that would explain the high disk and memory usage.

I have only 1 to 6 tabs open on Firefox at a time, and none of them are videos or photos (I don't stream anything). Even so, it gets to the point where all of my programs are non-responsive. The only other programs that are running are one instance of Microsoft Word, Adobe, and Winamp.

I've tried turning off add-ons like Ghostery and other ad-blockers and such, and still it happens.

When I close Firefox and re-open it, it clears out the disk and memory, but only for a while. When open, Firefox only shows like 283.something MB of memory. Word only shows 0.7 MB and Adobe 37 MB.

I'm thinking about switching browsers, but I refuse to Internet Explorer or Chrome.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:32 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,706,048 times
How many MB of memory do you have? Also, try running without winamp, since it's a steady CPU user.

If you only have 4 MB of RAM, my guess is too many apps. I'm surprised Word is memory lite.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:43 PM

20,725 posts, read 14,670,694 times
Quote:
How many MB of memory do you have? Also, try running without winamp, since it's a steady CPU user.

If you only have 4 MB of RAM, my guess is too many apps. I'm surprised Word is memory lite.

Two or three programs should not be too many apps.

I finally discovered that in Background Processes section of Task Manager there are five instances of FireFox, although I don't understand why that might be true, but they are eating up the CPU and Memory.

I've sent FireFox a nasty-gram and am using Opera instead, with better results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or