Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 05:39 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,490,654 times

Advertisements

Disabling Windows Search helped a lot on my laptop.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-man...k-manager.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 02:02 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
The OP already checked Task Manager. Maybe you missed that when you read through the entire thread? I can also say that in my experience, Process Explorer is easier to use, since the high CPU processes are in order, not divided into sections that you must scroll to see (and can miss....).
I've used process explorer and since I assumed the OP was on Windows 10, I provided some instructions on how to use what he already has. There's always more than one way and your way involves downloading, installing and learning something new. Isn't that the same amount of trouble as learning how to use something that is already built in?

The TM on Windows 7 is not divided into sections and is what I use and suffices 99% of the time and BTW, I did read the whole thread.

As usual, Microsoft loves to change things around for no reason (that I can see) but you can get the exact functionality with the Windows 10 TM as you can with the Windows 7 TM, it's just layed out differently.

How to view and manage the running processes with the Task Manager from Windows

Old 05-30-2018, 07:03 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Task Manager should be sufficient to find out what is hogging up your RAM/CPU. It's not as detailed as Process Explorer but should suffice to start.

Task Manager doesn't show what's eating up the disk and memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Disabling Windows Search helped a lot on my laptop.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-man...k-manager.html

I'll try that since I never use it anyway.

I'm staring at Process Explorer but not sure what I'm looking at. I have the DLL window open, but when I click on anything, it doesn't show DLLs.

The System Idle Process indicates a lot of CPU usage, but nothing that eating up the Disk or Memory.

Does anyone know if it's still possible to partition the hard-drive and install a different operating system on it?

Old 05-30-2018, 11:59 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Task Manager doesn't show what's eating up the disk and memory.

I'll try that since I never use it anyway.

I'm staring at Process Explorer but not sure what I'm looking at. I have the DLL window open, but when I click on anything, it doesn't show DLLs.

The System Idle Process indicates a lot of CPU usage, but nothing that eating up the Disk or Memory.

Does anyone know if it's still possible to partition the hard-drive and install a different operating system on it?
Are you on Windows 10 and if so have you tried the details tab?

Old 05-31-2018, 05:48 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,499,441 times
If the system idle process shows a lot of CPU usage, then you're problem is not an errant process. The idle process will always fill up the idle time, so high is good. >90% is my goal.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:16 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
I have the same laptop and it's very under powered so any issues will affect performance significantly.

Install Malwarebytes and see if it finds anything, make sure to check the option to scan for rootkits.

It's long shot but go through the installed programs and uninstall anything you don't need and pay particular attention to anything related to security. You should only have one antivirus installed.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's long shot but go through the installed programs and uninstall anything you don't need and pay particular attention to anything related to security. You should only have one antivirus installed.
excellent advice. Two AV programs tend to conflict with each other.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:30 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
I agree. The number of programs I find on friend's computers that they have no knowledge of is astounding. I usually disable them using Ccleaner before deleting them just in case.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:17 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
After an inadvertent update to FireFox to 4X.X.something (from a very old version) I began having issues with memory and processing. I discovered that FF memory usage grows and grows and grows, and everything slows down; FF starts becoming non-responsive and other programs experience significant delays. The more windows and tabs that are open, the worse the issue becomes. Even after shutting down all instances of FF, it can take 15 minutes or more for the system to become usable again. I have used Task Manager to observe, and even after FF is shut down and the windows closed, FF still remains in the list with a gradual decrease in memory usage until it is finally gone.

Experiments have shown that a significant amount of the problem seems to be scripts that continue to run even if that window/tab does not have the focus. I had to install the NoScript add-on after the 'update' removed the once easily accessible option to simply start/stop scripts globally.

More and more websites these days are using scripts to perform various 'functions' (which may or may not be desirable), including pushing advertising and tracking. I now use NoScript and RequestPolicy to cut back on some of this unwanted activity. At some point I will find one of my older versions of FF and blow away this 'new' and 'improved' version.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:23 AM

When I find these resource hoggers, I kill them with task manager. Stops them dead in their tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers