U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 05:45 PM

20,697 posts, read 14,662,544 times

Advertisements

For about the past two months, I've been experiencing problems with 98%-100% memory and disk usage, even though no programs are consuming those amounts according to Task Manager.

During such times, programs are unresponsive.

I've resorted to shutting down Firefox then re-opening it, and that works for a couple of hours before it happens again. I suspected Firefox was the culprit, but the same thing happens when using Opera, and it often happens when no internet browser is open.

I use an HP 15 Notebook.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 06:18 PM

28,619 posts, read 40,600,178 times
Open Windows Explorer and right-click drive C: Click the Properties tab. How much free space is there?

Run Ccleaner and clean the junk off. Filehippo is a safe site. After clicking the download button don't click anything else until the download is finished.

https://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Old 05-28-2018, 07:11 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,702,654 times
It would be helpful to know what process is using up all the resources. Process Explorer is my go-to resource. I'd google the name, which will lead you to Microsoft's website. Yes, it's been a MS product for a good 5 or more years. Download it, install it and run it. One of the columns will be labeled "CPU" click the column header and note which processes have the highest utilization (cpu%). Post the top 3 here.

Sometimes some windows processes get stuck, often related to windows update. Sometimes it will be other programs. The results above will help a diagnosis.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:58 PM

2,991 posts, read 1,036,619 times
I had this happen a couple years ago, and either Spybot SD, or CCCleaner fixed it (I can't remember which, but it was probably CCCleaner.) I concur that the problem seems to be an automatic update that gets "stuck" and every so often tries like h--- to get itself unstuck and finish its job.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:02 PM

20,697 posts, read 14,662,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Open Windows Explorer and right-click drive C: Click the Properties tab. How much free space is there?

Run Ccleaner and clean the junk off.

It's a 677 GB drive, with 150 GB used and 526 GB free-space.

Of the 150 GB used, about half is music and music video files (no movies or TV shows), a suite of physics programs I got from the University of Cincinnati, and various documents, spreadsheets and databases I've created using a Microsoft package, and a handful of small maintenance programs that do things like un-lock files and such.

The only game I ever had was the entire Doom series, which no longer runs, since my system was somehow coerced to Windows 8.1.

I've been running CCleaner monthly for at least 10 years now, first on a desk-top and then on the lap-top I had prior to this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
It would be helpful to know what process is using up all the resources.

I've been using Task Manager to examine processes, but none show memory or disk usage.

I manually check for updates, since letting Microsoft do it automatically constantly interfered. Even when you manually check for updates, Microsoft resets your system to automatic updates, and I switch it back to manual after the update process is completed.

I'll try Process Explorer

Old 05-29-2018, 01:23 PM

Unfortunately, Task Manager's listings are quite incomplete, I've found. That's why I use process explorer.

Oddly, strange things happen under windows. For a while, months, the Interrupts process was stuck at 100%. Rebooting would quiet it for about 10 minutes. A lot of searching led me to the strangest solution - play some audio. Sure enough, when I started playing something (in my case a 15 second clip I had recorded that I just looped) interrupts settled down. The most recent update solved the problem for good. This is the reason it's important to know what process is causing the problem. Some of these problems are obscure, and odd.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:12 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,615,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's a 677 GB drive, with 150 GB used and 526 GB free-space.

Of the 150 GB used, about half is music and music video files (no movies or TV shows), a suite of physics programs I got from the University of Cincinnati, and various documents, spreadsheets and databases I've created using a Microsoft package, and a handful of small maintenance programs that do things like un-lock files and such.

The only game I ever had was the entire Doom series, which no longer runs, since my system was somehow coerced to Windows 8.1.

I've been running CCleaner monthly for at least 10 years now, first on a desk-top and then on the lap-top I had prior to this one.

I've been using Task Manager to examine processes, but none show memory or disk usage.

I manually check for updates, since letting Microsoft do it automatically constantly interfered. Even when you manually check for updates, Microsoft resets your system to automatic updates, and I switch it back to manual after the update process is completed.

I'll try Process Explorer
Task Manager should be sufficient to find out what is hogging up your RAM/CPU. It's not as detailed as Process Explorer but should suffice to start.

Here are some tips.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-i...ger-windows-10

Old 05-29-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Task Manager should be sufficient to find out what is hogging up your RAM/CPU. It's not as detailed as Process Explorer but should suffice to start.

Here are some tips.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-i...ger-windows-10
The OP already checked Task Manager. Maybe you missed that when you read through the entire thread? I can also say that in my experience, Process Explorer is easier to use, since the high CPU processes are in order, not divided into sections that you must scroll to see (and can miss....).

Old 05-29-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
DOSBox

This is what my wife uses to play older games. Sometimes it takes a serious set of tweaks, but it works!

Old 05-29-2018, 02:54 PM

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge...10-8-7-solved/

Superfetch Causing Massive Disk Usage - [Solved] - Windows 10

In case you have either problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or