Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 12:45 PM

472 posts, read 325,474 times

Advertisements

With Adobe's creative cloud subscription based software do you really have to continually pay $30 per month for software or can you pay one time for software that you just cannot update?
$30 per month would get really expensive after a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 01:25 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
All software is moving to a subscription model... and yes, it gets really expensive over time.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:12 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Yes, it's expensive. It's a cost of doing business for me, unfortunately. I wish I could pay less just for the software I need, but it's priced like cable TV to where if you need anything more than Photoshop, it's cheaper/same price to pay for the entire package. The regular price for the whole package is $50/month, but if you call and threaten to quit they will offer you something around $30. If you're a student, you can get it for $20/month for a year.

If you're self-employed like me, at least it's a write-off.

If you only need it for personal use, look at free versions of similar software like GIMP instead of Photoshop, Notepad++ or Brackets instead of Dreamweaver (which I seldom use as it's geared towards people who don't actually want to write code).

Old 06-13-2018, 01:57 PM

I actually found Dreamweaver CS6 on Ebay for $75. Done!
CS6 is 99% the same as the most current version of CC.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
I actually found Dreamweaver CS6 on Ebay for $75. Done!
CS6 is 99% the same as the most current version of CC.
I don't agree with that statement at all, not to say that you can't successfully use the CS6 version.

This shows a lot of features added since 2012.. https://www.adobe.com/products/dream...es.html?red=av

If you're just looking for a basic code editor, then you didn't need to pay at all, there's so much free software out there.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
If you're just looking for a basic code editor, then you didn't need to pay at all, there's so much free software out there.
Which is all that I need to manage my existing websites. And I have already been working with DW CS6. Don't have time to learn a new software and reload and reconfigure all my sites.
I replaced my MB and had to revalidate Windows only to find out that I bought a cracked version of DW and had been using it for the last 5 years! Oddly enough in the beginning I was suspicious of the retailer and contacted Adobe. They said yes the retailer was one of their authorized dealers and Adobe told me that they indeed sold a downloadable version, which I bought. Wasn't too happy about getting misinformation from Adobe.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:50 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
If you use one or two tools it’s not worth it. But with Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects it is cheaper to rent and get updates than buy the software and then pay for upgrades every year or two.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
Which is all that I need to manage my existing websites. And I have already been working with DW CS6. Don't have time to learn a new software and reload and reconfigure all my sites.
I replaced my MB and had to revalidate Windows only to find out that I bought a cracked version of DW and had been using it for the last 5 years! Oddly enough in the beginning I was suspicious of the retailer and contacted Adobe. They said yes the retailer was one of their authorized dealers and Adobe told me that they indeed sold a downloadable version, which I bought. Wasn't too happy about getting misinformation from Adobe.
Dreamweaver is the only code editor I've ever used with much of a learning curve, because it has lots of extra features for non-coders. Filezilla for uploading/downloading your files is also free and extremely easy to use.

I gather from your post that those extra features are important to you, so you probably made the right choice for you. For me, I choose not to use it even though it's part of the package I pay for because it has way too much junk in there I don't need.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:43 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
What I did three or four years ago when CS6 was available, was to purchase it with a student/faculty discount. Adobe not longer updates CS6, but I have several effects or plugins that work within CS6, including the NIK bundle software, Topaz, and some of the OneOne effects. My advise would be to buy the newest version of Elements or LightRoom, and then add some of the effects I mention above.

There is no way I am going to pay monthly fees to use a photo app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers