U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:15 AM

58,641 posts, read 56,511,785 times

Advertisements

I am using an HP laptop, if it matters. It's a few months old.

Yesterday I was tracking my dd's flight on Flightaware and I also opened a site with maps so I could see what countries/geographical features she was flying over. I left my computer on and walked away for a while, and when I came back, it was not responding. I only mention that because it seems just a bit too coincidental that this is when it happened.

I shut it off (shutting it down normally was not an option) and started it again several times. It took a long time to boot up, but eventually it di. I started looking and found two Chrome browser extensions that said something about malware, so I removed them. I don't know if they were there before because I never looked under "extensions" before. I was just trying anything. Cleared the cache, ran the Norton scan. Still had trouble loading my gmail and any other pages.

I shut down the computer normally, unplugged it, and went to bed.

This morning I turned it on and was able to boot it up ALMOST normally, but still slightly slow. It sounded as if something was continually running in the background so I played around with Task Manager and there were two processes with "background tasks" running at a high usage rate so I ended them.

After that, the computer started to run better and I could open City-Data, but I still can't get Facebook open. It just hangs with the little circle going around and around. I tried to use YouTube, which got hung up, but when I opened a YouTube video I'd embedded in a City-Data post, it worked right away.

This is annoying, and yes, it's a first-world problem, but I'm not a computer whiz and I just want the thing to WORK. Anyone have any ideas about what else I should do before I give up and go trundling down to Geek Squad?

ETA: I just loaded Facebook fairly normally. Now it has occurred to me after using a few sites that it is happening on an on-again/off-again basis. Don't know if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 08:22 AM

39,967 posts, read 57,815,785 times
There could be still many reasons:
Too many tabs open? RAM full? HD full? Laptop gets hot? Modem is hot? Too many extensions? Too many startup items? Too many programs installed?
Did you check your Internet speed? http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Did you run troubleshooting? Updated hardware/software? Antivirus or other programs running in the background? Undetected virus/malware?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 06-13-2018 at 08:32 AM..

Old 06-13-2018, 08:37 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Make sure you're up to date. Check for Windows updates. Sometimes Windows will download updates in the background and this can occasionally impact performance.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Make sure you're up to date. Check for Windows updates. Sometimes Windows will download updates in the background and this can occasionally impact performance.
Thanks. That's actually what I thought was happening at first, that I had somehow missed notification of an update and that's what was running and slowing everything down. I keep up with the Windows updates.

I started to get worried when it wouldn't start normally and then when I kept getting that "Something is wrong, Google can't connect" message on Gmail.

RIGHT NOW it seems to be working.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There could be still many reasons:
Too many tabs open? RAM full? HD full? Laptop gets hot? Modem is hot? Too many extensions? Too many startup items? Too many programs installed?
Did you check your Internet speed? http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Did you run troubleshooting? Updated hardware/software? Antivirus or other programs running in the background? Undetected virus/malware?
No, too many tabs open would be the first thing I would do--close them. Doubt that RAM would have EVER been full, but I honestly don't know how to check that. Hard drive couldn't possibly be full, lol. It's not full on my 2002 Dell Desktop, let alone an almost-new computer with a fairly simple user. It's not as though I've got movies and video games on my hard drive. Word documents, mostly, and even most of those are on the cloud.

No, nothing is getting hot, and I probably have fewer programs installed than anyone else you know. Looked at the startup items.

How would I know if I had an undetected virus or malware if Norton doesn't pick it up? Isn't that the point of having anti-virus software? Serious question.

Did not check Internet speed. Thanks for the link. And looks as though there might be some HP updates I haven't run yet.

ETA: Thank you, elnina, I could not rep you again. I owe you.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:37 AM

Thanks, people. Will keep watching and will look at those HP updates.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:48 AM

As a side note, elnina mentioned browser extensions, and until recently, I'd never heard of them and didn't know WTF it meant when about a month ago I started getting messages that a browser extension had been closed so I looked up "browser extensions" last night and then I found where they are in Chrome and I found the two that had the red messages about malware and removed them.

I went to this site just now:

https://www.howtogeek.com/169080/beg...er-extensions/

and there was this paragraph, which made me laugh:

If you’re a geek, this stuff is obvious to you. We geeks take this for granted — we know exactly what browser extensions can do, when to use them, and what to avoid. But not everyone knows all this stuff.

Exactly. How would the normal, average computer user even know this???

Actually, I have the answer. We would learn about it when it potentially affects our computer!

Old 06-13-2018, 12:15 PM

11,346 posts, read 17,884,106 times
Find out how much RAM you have, 4 is not great but probably enough, 2 is really not enough as browsers keep getting heavier. Here’s how... https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000149.htm

Control-alt-delete to open task manager to see the what’s eating up all the memory.
https://www.lifewire.com/task-manager-2626025

By the way, Chrome is the biggest memory hog of a browser I use, and I use several. I find it helps to shut it down and reopen it, it gets fatter the longer it runs.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Find out how much RAM you have, 4 is not great but probably enough, 2 is really not enough as browsers keep getting heavier. Here’s how... https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000149.htm

Control-alt-delete to open task manager to see the what’s eating up all the memory.
https://www.lifewire.com/task-manager-2626025

By the way, Chrome is the biggest memory hog of a browser I use, and I use several. I find it helps to shut it down and reopen it, it gets fatter the longer it runs.
My RAM is 8.

I check Task Manager regularly. That's how I saw those "Background Tasks" were running and ended them, and that seems to have helped. I know SOME things. More than my friend, whose computer was horribly slow and didn't know what I meant when I asked her when the last time was that she cleared her browser history. She thought I did some kind of miracle.

Interesting about the Chrome, thanks for the tip on that.

Also, I do not always remember to reboot my computer, so maybe just letting it run so long and then opening Flightaware was too much. I also opened that map site so I could identify what body of water it was that my daughter's plane was over. (The Caspian Sea.) I just opened the first one that popped up. I have Flightaware on my phone, though, and it doesn't give me any trouble there.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:27 PM

I've been on CD for nine years, but hardly ever on this forum. Bunch of smart people here. I need to hang out here more and learn computer stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers