U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 06:35 PM

11,346 posts, read 17,884,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
That's easy to foresee, as it's already pretty much the case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU6sMOB9b-E

It seems to me desktop/laptops are already on their way out while smart phones keep getting more connectable and the hardware more powerful.

5G, computing on the "cloud" and the "internet of things" might even make a pocket-sized computer powerhouse archaic in 10-20 years... our computers will be "everywhere and nowhere" at the same time.

I don't care how small the computer part gets, big screens will still be necessary for many professions, such as graphic artists, web designers, architects and many others for effective workflow. I sure don't enjoy performing any major typing project on a touch screen either. If there are more screens everywhere to plug your tiny computer into, then great. Or perhaps holograph projection screens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 11:06 AM

12,390 posts, read 3,264,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I don't care how small the computer part gets, big screens will still be necessary for many professions, such as graphic artists, web designers, architects and many others for effective workflow. I sure don't enjoy performing any major typing project on a touch screen either. If there are more screens everywhere to plug your tiny computer into, then great. Or perhaps holograph projection screens.
They have been promising holographic technology for years now, but so far nothing! We should already have 3D holographic interfaces and heads up displays by now imo.

I think we are kind of in a plateau right now when it comes to cell phones and computers, nothing really groundbreaking for years, I do hope the next big 'tech leap' forward happens soon though.

Furthermore, I really think thats how the next 'leap' will come about, someone will be tinkering or trying to do something else and blindly stumble onto something HUGE, and it will change everything almost overnight.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:00 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,412,910 times
Don't believe everything you read in Popular Mechanics. My dad used to get this magazine, in the 1970s they predicted we would be commuting in atomic powered automated vehicles by 1995.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Don't believe everything you read in Popular Mechanics. My dad used to get this magazine, in the 1970s they predicted we would be commuting in atomic powered automated vehicles by 1995.
The problem with most of those old 60s and 70s future predictions, they neglected to consider that Govt would suppress technology like this, they just assumed anything and everything would be available to the general public.

That is just not the case, 'the Invention Secrecy Act' was created in 1951 for this very purpose, its still in force today. They look at how a technology or invention could impact existing industry, economies, as well as effecting Govts ability to exert its authority. An energy source that cannot be run thru a meter would be disastrous for the global economy.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:54 AM

7,293 posts, read 6,681,651 times
It will be an integrated media device likely being used on a TV rather than a dedicated computer desk. Laptops will also still be around as there's no substitute for being able to type 60+ words per minute at least until they have neural implants that can write down what we think.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:07 AM

12 posts, read 3,442 times
All I can think of is teleporting, if you can email(teleport) a tangible object than what about a person? What about the mater?

Old 07-02-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallink View Post
All I can think of is teleporting, if you can email(teleport) a tangible object than what about a person? What about the mater?
Im not sure we will ever see that capability.

Its not so much about whether they COULD do it but I think its more about whether the public SHOULD have access to a technology like this...

Think about it, if one day you can buy a teleporter pad, you could use it to bring terrorists in, you could evade authorities or Govt/ military, prisons would be useless, plus, no one would need vehicles, trains, airplanes, etc anymore. That would be devastating to the global economy.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:03 PM

5,728 posts, read 6,921,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The problem with most of those old 60s and 70s future predictions, they neglected to consider that Govt would suppress technology like this, they just assumed anything and everything would be available to the general public.
That's completely nuts. The 'government' ain't suppressing jack, they can't even keep all of their own secrets secret (and I should know), let alone keep everybody else's stuff secret.

Nobody is going to be e-mailing tangible objects, not now, not ever. Send the data to print something on a 3-D printer from materials the receiver already has, sure; break down a physical object into some sort of 'data'/'energy' and transmit that and reassemble it on the other end using no additional materials? Ain't gonna happen, not no how, not no way. The laws of Physics are a [female dog].

You need to stop believing and posting whacko crap like this. It doesn't do you any favors. One thing's for sure, every time I see your alias, it's a better than even bet that I'm going to read something goofy.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
That's completely nuts. The 'government' ain't suppressing jack, they can't even keep all of their own secrets secret (and I should know), let alone keep everybody else's stuff secret.

Nobody is going to be e-mailing tangible objects, not now, not ever. Send the data to print something on a 3-D printer from materials the receiver already has, sure; break down a physical object into some sort of 'data'/'energy' and transmit that and reassemble it on the other end using no additional materials? Ain't gonna happen, not no how, not no way. The laws of Physics are a [female dog].

You need to stop believing and posting whacko crap like this. It doesn't do you any favors. One thing's for sure, every time I see your alias, it's a better than even bet that I'm going to read something goofy.
You do not have to believe me, Google 'Invention Secrecy Act of 1951'.

It was created to do this very thing.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:24 PM

13,815 posts, read 9,302,890 times
In 20 years from now most people will have just a small foot print screen that connects to the cloud just like Google Chromebook. There's no need for a big hard disk or video card anymore they will be all built into a tiny processor found on smartphones today.

Many people will also just use their smartphone as their computer and just dock into a stand and displays to a bigger screen. You can already do that today.

Windows or Mac OS will no longer be a big installation, you simply connect to Apple or Microsoft from a browser and it has your data and settings stored in the cloud. You want a software or a game you just pay for it and click and go use it. Microsoft Office 365 is already a web based Cloud app.

Most of the tech is already in place today you will need less hardware at home than today. PC sales is already in decline and I think eventually it will go away like typewriters. Most people just have a terminal that connects to the network and get their apps and games through the cloud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or