U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2018, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,726 posts, read 29,336,363 times
Reputation: 12539

Advertisements

I imagine that in 40 or 50 years you can have all kinds of AI-capable computers. In such a case one can have a maid, spouse, or even a pleasure android (just kidding with you) taking the place of a computer. All you have to do is to ask for the android to accomplish the task you require.

But I am too old already to make it that far

On the serious side: it's looking like a cellphone of similar device could take the place of a desktop at home within ten-20 years. All you need is a way to display the image somewhere, and a power source. All the commands could be by voice, so a keyboard would be optional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2018, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
11,346 posts, read 17,884,106 times
Reputation: 28851
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I imagine that in 40 or 50 years you can have all kinds of AI-capable computers. In such a case one can have a maid, spouse, or even a pleasure android (just kidding with you) taking the place of a computer. All you have to do is to ask for the android to accomplish the task you require.

But I am too old already to make it that far

On the serious side: it's looking like a cellphone of similar device could take the place of a desktop at home within ten-20 years. All you need is a way to display the image somewhere, and a power source. All the commands could be by voice, so a keyboard would be optional.
Most people can type a whole lot faster than they can speak clearly.. I can’t imagine getting any real work done without a keyboard, not to mention the frustration of correcting the constantly misunderstood words, symbols, and punctuation..

I know we’re talking about household computers, but a lot of us work from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2018, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Ft Myers, FL
2,656 posts, read 1,394,870 times
Reputation: 4915
Throughput will be so rapid as to appear instantaneous, with no lag time due to bloatware and other CPU cycle drainage.

Spam and adware will be a thing of the past.

Biometrics will make malware scanning redundant.

I mean, as long as we're dreamin' here .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2018, 12:22 PM
 
12,396 posts, read 3,264,330 times
Reputation: 8228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Throughput will be so rapid as to appear instantaneous, with no lag time due to bloatware and other CPU cycle drainage.

Spam and adware will be a thing of the past.

Biometrics will make malware scanning redundant.

I mean, as long as we're dreamin' here .....
I wouldnt go so far as to call this kind of thing dreaming, really it sounds fairly likely and not that far off.

When I talk to older people about computers/ cell phones, usually the phrase " I cant believe they can do this now, in our days such a thing would have been nothing more than sci-fi or dreaming", gets thrown around alot, but here we are today with many things people said were impossible not that long ago....so its probable in 20-30 yrs, we will be the old folks then, and remarking how we never thought anything like this was ever possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 03:00 AM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,849,507 times
Reputation: 5589
It all depends on what you use a computer for. Computers in general started to become more and more popular about 20 years ago at homes mainly because Internet. Certain types of users, mainly gamers and programmers, were using home computers before the days of currently used Internet method.

So, I imagine, majority of the users would probably not even turn on their computers if Internet ceased to exist immediately.

Despite the sudden and overwhelming incline of computers due to Internet, the most notable 3 factors with computers in the last 20 years are:
- They became more powerful
- They became more portable
- They became more affordable

I imagine not much more will change for the next 10-15 years other than the above 3 things, if at all.

The real change should and probably will come from advancement of AI. That is where the future is, especially for programmers. Business application of such technology is limitless, not to mention, the most profitable.

Smart phones and alike devices are not computers, imho.
They are merely overhyped and overpriced consumer electronics, nothing more which is why it is sad to see people so attached to them.

Hardware wise, smartphones will continue to evolve, focusing on the first two of the 3 aforementioned factors. A decent PC could easily last 4-5 years without having a borderline obligation to upgrade it like users are pushed with smartphones because, let's face it, that is where the money is.

Intelligent and some type of SSO Inter-connectivity is the next consumer money-maker.
Imagine you get close to your car and your Pip Boy 3000 communicated with your vehicle/house/boat/plane, opened the door, started it and set it the your favorite station/channel or the one you requested as you walked towards your car. A little bit of a Fallout joke but you get my point.

Just imagine the conveniences you have today that are making things easier, quicker and more fun for you that you didn't have 10, 20, 30 years ago. Now think about what things that can be similarly improved or automated so things can be easier, quicker and more useful?

Sadly, consumer market is heavily monitored and controlled in the US. Only the most consumer-friendly technology is typically brought over because $$ is the driving force. Regardless of how super duper a technology is, if it is not profitable in some way by the corporations, it won't make it Stateside. Even if it did, it would be either not easily available or affordable and quite possibly short-lived.

Robotics with advancement in quantum-computing and AI, could be the next big thing.

Personally, I don't really care what happens 20+ years from now. I am already almost burned out with technology and the current society with sickening technology addiction.

I will be somewhere remote, uncrowded and quiet, enjoying a more primitive and simpler lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 12:42 PM
 
12,396 posts, read 3,264,330 times
Reputation: 8228
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
It all depends on what you use a computer for. Computers in general started to become more and more popular about 20 years ago at homes mainly because Internet. Certain types of users, mainly gamers and programmers, were using home computers before the days of currently used Internet method.

So, I imagine, majority of the users would probably not even turn on their computers if Internet ceased to exist immediately.

Despite the sudden and overwhelming incline of computers due to Internet, the most notable 3 factors with computers in the last 20 years are:
- They became more powerful
- They became more portable
- They became more affordable

I imagine not much more will change for the next 10-15 years other than the above 3 things, if at all.

The real change should and probably will come from advancement of AI. That is where the future is, especially for programmers. Business application of such technology is limitless, not to mention, the most profitable.

Smart phones and alike devices are not computers, imho.
They are merely overhyped and overpriced consumer electronics, nothing more which is why it is sad to see people so attached to them.

Hardware wise, smartphones will continue to evolve, focusing on the first two of the 3 aforementioned factors. A decent PC could easily last 4-5 years without having a borderline obligation to upgrade it like users are pushed with smartphones because, let's face it, that is where the money is.

Intelligent and some type of SSO Inter-connectivity is the next consumer money-maker.
Imagine you get close to your car and your Pip Boy 3000 communicated with your vehicle/house/boat/plane, opened the door, started it and set it the your favorite station/channel or the one you requested as you walked towards your car. A little bit of a Fallout joke but you get my point.

Just imagine the conveniences you have today that are making things easier, quicker and more fun for you that you didn't have 10, 20, 30 years ago. Now think about what things that can be similarly improved or automated so things can be easier, quicker and more useful?

Sadly, consumer market is heavily monitored and controlled in the US. Only the most consumer-friendly technology is typically brought over because $$ is the driving force. Regardless of how super duper a technology is, if it is not profitable in some way by the corporations, it won't make it Stateside. Even if it did, it would be either not easily available or affordable and quite possibly short-lived.

Robotics with advancement in quantum-computing and AI, could be the next big thing.

Personally, I don't really care what happens 20+ years from now. I am already almost burned out with technology and the current society with sickening technology addiction.

I will be somewhere remote, uncrowded and quiet, enjoying a more primitive and simpler lifestyle.
You are right about the internet, if it didnt exist, there would not be a large market for computers, tablets etc. internet is why most people have or use a computer.

whether a technology is good or profitable is also relative, the thing I mentioned above (ability to email or text tangible objects), most people can see how great and profitable this would be for online retailers, shoppers could get purchases instantly, no more waiting for delivery...but on the flip side, a technology like this would be devastating to delivery companies, law enforcement, etc, and eventually change how we move and transport materials and people!

I think we have sort of reached a point (computer technology-wise), that anything 'better' or more effective/ efficient, would start to have negative effects on other sectors, AI is a good example, the smarter computers get, the tougher it gets to maintain control, especially relevant when one of the main factors in whether a technology or invention is suppressed or not, is its potential impact on Govts ability to exert its authority!!! I think this is one big reason why are stuck at this level of computer technology, anything better and it starts to effect their ability to exert authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 11:53 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,849,507 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You are right about the internet, if it didnt exist, there would not be a large market for computers, tablets etc. internet is why most people have or use a computer.

whether a technology is good or profitable is also relative, the thing I mentioned above (ability to email or text tangible objects), most people can see how great and profitable this would be for online retailers, shoppers could get purchases instantly, no more waiting for delivery...but on the flip side, a technology like this would be devastating to delivery companies, law enforcement, etc, and eventually change how we move and transport materials and people!
Nor arguing or disagreeing but why would such technology be devastating to those type businesses?
Each new technology might kill one or two existing professions but they also typically create one or two new ones.

Quote:
I think we have sort of reached a point (computer technology-wise), that anything 'better' or more effective/ efficient, would start to have negative effects on other sectors, AI is a good example, the smarter computers get, the tougher it gets to maintain control, especially relevant when one of the main factors in whether a technology or invention is suppressed or not, is its potential impact on Govts ability to exert its authority!!! I think this is one big reason why are stuck at this level of computer technology, anything better and it starts to effect their ability to exert authority.
I do feel the same way about the advancement of home computers and related hardware. It has advanced very rapidly to satisfy the need but I doubt there will be much breakthrough going forward.
Look at the new phones coming out, Samsung S9 and iPhone whatever, what is the difference between the last model and these new ones other than slight visual difference, higher price tags and better specs? Does everyone need the upgraded model? Some may ask if people even have much of a choice?
A technology is like anything else, the corporations eventually bring every product to a point where it is like a XYZ medication. It won't cure squat, but you need to take it at a certain schedule forever. That is what the definition of profitable is. They need to make sure it is not a 1-time thing. A product is merely a bait to get you hooked on the service. Look at how much money people are spending on a new phone which typically lasts a year or two. 10-15 year ago, if someone told me my cell phone would cost as much as an average spec laptop, I'd have rolled my eyes. Anyhow...

Trust me AI programming is the next big thing. Actually it has been around but with changes happening in various platforms more and more AI related technology is being developed. It will get big real soon. If you have a vehicle manufactured in the last few years, there is a very good chance it already has a small portion of AI/ADAS capability. For example, oncoming vehicle/object in the next lane detection, slowing or stopped traffic. Very primitive AI/ADAS functionality. More advanced ones will be able to start and come out of the garage, or park themselves in a parking garage on their own, etc. The top level ADAS technology would offer vehicles that can drive themselves but we are clearly not there yet, though it may happen sooner than you think.

Military and Medical use would probably be the most crucial and possibly the most lucrative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 12:09 AM
 
369 posts, read 168,971 times
Reputation: 896
No comparison to today.
There will be no tower or desktop models. Computer technology will exist in most devices and will increase the level of interaction, versatility and productivity.
Only data workers will actually sit at a computer work station.
There will be computer tech in any device you wear. Example, Ready for Maxwell Smart, your 👠 will track and provide medical as well as excercise input for you, your trainer.
They will be omnipresent, hopefully not omnipotent.
The connection to your thought process will have unimaginable consequences.
A/I in sex dolls will be a huge industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 08:10 AM
 
12,396 posts, read 3,264,330 times
Reputation: 8228
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Nor arguing or disagreeing but why would such technology be devastating to those type businesses?
Each new technology might kill one or two existing professions but they also typically create one or two new ones.

.
Well, obviously if the technology exists that permits 'teleportation' of tangible object thru a computer, who would need a delivery service anymore, plus I would imagine it would be scaled up to the level of moving materials in the same way not long after...again with this technology, who is going to use ships, trains, trucks, etc to move material?

I think the biggest breakthroughs are going to be discovered by accident, they will be trying to do something else, or create something new, and a totally unrelated discovery will be made in the process, something they didnt anticipate or expect, and it will change everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 12:35 AM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,849,507 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, obviously if the technology exists that permits 'teleportation' of tangible object thru a computer, who would need a delivery service anymore, plus I would imagine it would be scaled up to the level of moving materials in the same way not long after...again with this technology, who is going to use ships, trains, trucks, etc to move material?
Teleportation via digital media? How would you be able to do that anyhow?
Even if teleportation as known in the movies, as in de-atomizing, re-atomizing was feasible, it couldn't be used on computers. It would have its own separate hardware and would be offered by an organization as the setup and its relevant technology would be controlled by companies. It would be too costly for random Joe Schmoe to own such a set up.

If teleportation, in the conventional sense, was feasible, then I believe mankind would be a lot closer to time travel.

I feel we are ions away from such accomplishment.

Either robots with highly advanced AI chips or short-distance, flying autonomous vehicles might be the next big thing.

Ironically, even then, I doubt there will be a real cure for common cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top