U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 05:43 AM

2,653 posts, read 1,390,920 times

Advertisements

"If teleportation, in the conventional sense, was feasible, then I believe mankind would be a lot closer to time travel.

I feel we are ions away from such accomplishment."

You may be onto something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 06:57 AM

12,233 posts, read 3,229,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Teleportation via digital media? How would you be able to do that anyhow?
Even if teleportation as known in the movies, as in de-atomizing, re-atomizing was feasible, it couldn't be used on computers. It would have its own separate hardware and would be offered by an organization as the setup and its relevant technology would be controlled by companies. It would be too costly for random Joe Schmoe to own such a set up.

If teleportation, in the conventional sense, was feasible, then I believe mankind would be a lot closer to time travel.

I feel we are ions away from such accomplishment.

Either robots with highly advanced AI chips or short-distance, flying autonomous vehicles might be the next big thing.

Ironically, even then, I doubt there will be a real cure for common cold.
Im not claiming to know how this is done, I have no idea, but who knows what they have achieved in various black projects, I think its probable they have something like this, it may not be like it is in the movies though.

I do know this something they would never permit a private company or industry to possess too (remember they control the patent office and have the black budget projects, NO civilian or company has access to that).

Old 07-12-2018, 10:04 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Most people can type a whole lot faster than they can speak clearly.. I can’t imagine getting any real work done without a keyboard, not to mention the frustration of correcting the constantly misunderstood words, symbols, and punctuation..

I know we’re talking about household computers, but a lot of us work from home.
The mind is fast, but with most people the fingers are slower than voice commands. With AI technology a personal computer can think and communicate with you as fast as you can think and speak. Another example: to do a "search" online you type the words to achieve certain result, something that can be done just as fast or faster by a voice command. Just look at the stenographers in court, who have to type over 60 words per second on the slow side, and are a times lagging behind from a fraction of a second to a few seconds (depending on how fast the person speaks). That's why in futuristic movies about space and other travel voice commands are the norm. A keyboard command or set of actions is just too slow.

Think of the future AI-capable computer much like Data in the Star Trek movies, except the he is an android with synthetic human body parts as well as looks.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-12-2018 at 10:35 PM..

Old 07-12-2018, 10:38 PM

11,316 posts, read 17,865,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The mind is fast, but with most people the fingers are slower than voice commands. With AI technology a personal computer can think and communicate with you as fast as you can think and speak. Another example: to do a "search" online you type the words to achieve certain result, something that can be done just as fast or faster than by voice commands. Just look at the stenographers in court, who have to type over 60 words per second on the slow side, and are a times lagging behind from a fraction of a second to a few seconds (depending on how fast the person speaks). That's why in futuristic movies about space and other travel voice commands are the norm. A keyboard command or set of actions is just too slow.

Think of the future AI-capable computer much like Data in the Star Trek movies, except the he is an android with synthetic human body parts as well as looks.
Siri misunderstands me all the time, to the point I rarely bother with her at all.

I would sure hate to try to write code with my voice. What a nightmare. For instance try saying this out loud vs typing it:

Quote:
<?php
class person {
var $name;
function set_name($new_name) {
$this->name = $new_name;
}
function get_name() {
return $this->name;
}
}
?>

You’ll pry my keyboard out of my cold, dead hands. I’ve been typing 90+ wpm since Mavis Beacon taught me in high school.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:44 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Siri misunderstands me all the time, to the point I rarely bother with her at all.

I would sure hate to try to write code with my voice. What a nightmare. For instance try saying this out loud vs typing it:

You’ll pry my keyboard out of my cold, dead hands. I’ve been typing 90+ wpm since Mavis Beacon taught me in high school.
Siri is today's technology. We are talking about the future beyond 10-20 years. I imagine that 50 years from now one can ask the computer to analyze a possibility and come with an answer by a simple voice command. On the funny side, you can ask you AI-capable automobile to drive you home because you are drinking, instead of typing the whole thing. Typing is just like driving an automobile with a manual transmission, while voice is just "automatic." Some people can drive just as fast with a manual, but most people can't.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-12-2018 at 11:01 PM..

Old 07-14-2018, 10:11 AM

12,233 posts, read 3,229,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Siri is today's technology. We are talking about the future beyond 10-20 years. I imagine that 50 years from now one can ask the computer to analyze a possibility and come with an answer by a simple voice command. On the funny side, you can ask you AI-capable automobile to drive you home because you are drinking, instead of typing the whole thing. Typing is just like driving an automobile with a manual transmission, while voice is just "automatic." Some people can drive just as fast with a manual, but most people can't.

Its strange to me we are not at that level by now, where someone has basically come up with a 'computer programing translator' so to speak, where the computer recognizes the words a person speaks and 'translates' that to an action or function, or even a complex program. We would no loner need thick manuals to learn how to program or use computers, the computer would just do all of that itself, all based on regular voice communication.

However there are downsides to this too, there are a number of ways people could abuse that or use it for criminal purposes, not to mention, no more need for computer programmers, technicians, etc.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:25 PM

25,168 posts, read 18,661,858 times
The traditional desktop doesn't look much different today than it did ten years ago. I think you will see more AIOs, but I don't know how much we can change the desktop interface.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:47 AM

5,081 posts, read 13,132,578 times
The first computers I worked with took up a whole room, the input/output was punch cards, they were "programmed' by modifying circuit boards. My iPhone has more power than a hundred of them linked together.

Although I'll never see it, I expect personal computers will become injectable microchips that can link to the brain.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:27 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The first computers I worked with took up a whole room, the input/output was punch cards, they were "programmed' by modifying circuit boards. My iPhone has more power than a hundred of them linked together.

Although I'll never see it, I expect personal computers will become injectable microchips that can link to the brain.
Any chance your handle is from "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers"?

Old 07-15-2018, 07:13 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,132,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Any chance your handle is from "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers"?
Yes it is.

They were our favorite comic book characters back when we were Hippies.

I think we are still Hippies, but we are disguised as Old People.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or