Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 02:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
From what I have seen, Win 10 is very much like Win 7 that has been hacked, and infested with virus and spyware. With a couple hours work, it can be made to work as well as Win 7.

I think someone should write a manual (could be a series of PDF's and MPG's) telling how to fix Win 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
A good article re cleaning up the crap and blocking other crap.

https://www.howtogeek.com/356642/how...9s-annoyances/
Try this as a starting place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 04:10 PM

8,922 posts, read 4,626,235 times
Quote:
Quote:
Try this as a starting place.
I agree, but the system won't let me rep you again

Old 06-23-2018, 06:38 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,529,983 times
Quote:

This is a good page reference for anyone who gets a Windows 10 PC to make it more functional. I just did almost all of this last week for our new laptop.

I would add to that list for a new PC or laptop...

Download and install CCleaner. Running this on the brand new laptop it found a ton of junk to delete.

Remove McAffee or Norton from your new PC if its on there, they will want money after some time of use. After uninstalling make sure Windows Defender is active. Then if you prefer, download and use your antivirus of choice.

In Windows Update settings, select a start and end time when the updates will not occur. This may have been prompted during the initial laptop setup, I dont remember now.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:57 AM

8,922 posts, read 4,626,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post

Remove McAffee or Norton from your new PC if its on there, they will want money after some time of use. After uninstalling make sure Windows Defender is active. Then if you prefer, download and use your antivirus of choice....
Yes, if it is on there and you don't want it ( I guess some do...) I would remove it as soon as possible. I appears to me that the longer it is on there, the more difficult it is to remove it. I have one PC that I can't seem to get rid of it no matter what I do (I suspect some trojan infected the McAffee and is protecting it).

Old 06-24-2018, 02:14 PM

14,450 posts, read 20,627,395 times
The ones we got were refurbished and formerly had Windows 7 because the sticker under the battery has the W7 serial number.
These look like Vista or 7 desktops.

We can click the 4 tile icon bottom left and get to most things.

We did have a problem downloading a program from a financial institution. After a long session we finally got the time correct. It was 3 hours behind. I told the tech support that the time shown is the western time zone which happens to be where Microsoft has their headquarters. I went down the list of time zones and chose Eastern (USA and Canada) and it still did not change the time. I changed it to Eastern USA and then it was one hour ahead meaning that zone was a few hundred miles in the Atlantic Ocean. So, I tried Indiana (East) and that did not help either. I just changed the thing to the central time zone and finally it gave the "correct time for the EST." After that they were able to get us the program from their website. Why the time had anything to do with it, not sure. And finally we got to change the time zone to EST.

These computers only had about 7 programs in the control panel. That was a shock to me. I was expecting other programs. Our ISP is giving us Trend Micro free so there was no McAfee or other to remove.

It did take a Google search to find out how to shutdown properly since there is no start menu but there is an icon above the 4 tile icon for shutdown.

Once we get the wifi code entered then we can do more self education with help from this thread to begin to use it efficiently.
-------------------
And sorry Bill Gates we do not plan to use Bing or Edge or IE 11.0.
Are those mistakes?
We like Google as a browser and search engine. Any issues using Chrome browser and Google search?

What mail program does W10 come with if any? We see an envelope icon on the lower tool bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers