Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 08:36 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

We have one MP4 video which needs to be converted to DVD format (and burned) so it will play on a table top DVD player.
We have Any Video Converter which has a long list of video formats. Seen in the image.

We've used Wondershare and iSkysoft DVD Creator but with the free versions both put their company name, etc. across the screen.

Anyone with other free programs to simple get this one MP4 to DVD format and burned?
For burning we are using Ashampoo but when we try to locate the video all the folders the program shows us appear empty when they are not. The program may be looking for DVD formatted files.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Need program to convert MP4 to DVD format and burn.-v.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 02:47 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We have one MP4 video which needs to be converted to DVD format (and burned) so it will play on a table top DVD player.
We have Any Video Converter which has a long list of video formats. Seen in the image.

We've used Wondershare and iSkysoft DVD Creator but with the free versions both put their company name, etc. across the screen.

Anyone with other free programs to simple get this one MP4 to DVD format and burned?
For burning we are using Ashampoo but when we try to locate the video all the folders the program shows us appear empty when they are not. The program may be looking for DVD formatted files.

Thanks.
I haven't tried it but this claims to be freeware
https://www.dvdvideosoft.com/guides/...-converter.htm

I am not sure if it will burn directly to DVD but it will at least place the DVD video on the hard drive

You can then try the Ashampoo to burn or try imgburn which is free if needed.

The output should contain a folder named VIDEO_TS. If you see that you will know it is formatted correctly.

There may be others, just google "video to dvd freeware"

Old 06-19-2018, 02:47 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
I have used most of these programs.

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-b...ideo-converter

For burning I use Imgburn.

The Official ImgBurn Website

Old 06-19-2018, 06:05 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Two things to note, DVD video is a standard and a DVD compliant disc sometimes referred to as authored disc is going to have specific folder structure and files. This allows for menus and other things, it should play in any DVD player.

The video file itself has a specification and most newer DVD players will play the video if burned as data DVD. If you look up the model of the DVD player there may be other formats it supports outside of DVD compliant video. If this is one off thing you can try using MPEG2/720*480/8000kbps/PCM or AC3 audio and just burn the file to disc. Note that if it's 16:9 check in the options to see if you can set the widescreen flag.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Two things to note, DVD video is a standard and a DVD compliant disc sometimes referred to as authored disc is going to have specific folder structure and files. This allows for menus and other things, it should play in any DVD player.

The video file itself has a specification and most newer DVD players will play the video if burned as data DVD. If you look up the model of the DVD player there may be other formats it supports outside of DVD compliant video. If this is one off thing you can try using MPEG2/720*480/8000kbps/PCM or AC3 audio and just burn the file to disc. Note that if it's 16:9 check in the options to see if you can set the widescreen flag.
Yes, this. Some newer DVD players will play video files directly stored on a CD/DVD or even from a USB port. Just a thought. Oh and by the way, "newer" is a relative term. DVD players aren't that popular anymore.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:56 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

Thanks.
If you really want the best converter + burner you can't beat convertXtodvd!

Right now you can download a Fully functioning week's trial.

The regular price is around forty five bucks but I've seen it on sale for twenty.

Been using the software for almost ten years.
(Use it to burn torrents)

ConvertXtoDVD - AVI to DVD Video Converter to burn on DVD

Old 06-21-2018, 08:15 PM

Update:
I've heard that the free trial has a watermark?

The $45.00 option is only for a year.
(Life-time is $79.00)

I had no idea about the prices or watermark.

Like I said, I've had my version for almost ten years and have never upgraded or had to pay for a lifetime license.

(Of course, I 'may' have gotten a lifetime license key in some nefarious manner Years ago)

Old 06-21-2018, 08:20 PM

https://videoconverter.wondershare.c...ternative.html

Old 06-22-2018, 08:36 AM

The OP was asking for a free program. I happen to use ConvertX myself. It works great and you can build custom menus and so much more.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
If you are looking for a variety of software Videohlep.com has extensive sortable list with reviews.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/s...dvd-converters

Quote:

The $45.00 option is only for a year.
(Life-time is $79.00)
Before spending that kind of money look at Corel's Video Studio or Movie Factory. Both can edit video and author discs but Movie Factory focuses on disc authoring while Videostudio focuses on video editing. I'm a bit out of the loop but they used to use Mainconcept's encoder which is one of if not the best MPEG2 encoder.

https://www.videostudiopro.com/en/products/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers