U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 06:57 AM

1,525 posts, read 2,512,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Give us a budget and we can be much more helpful.

Agree with jtva BUT the SSD is probably the least important thing.
Processor, Graphics card and RAM being far more important.

Here's one for a under a grand,
CLICK ME!

I know you said you don't need a gaming machine. But if you're seriously into Lightroom and use it a lot you would be well served to get one.
I dunno - I switched from a raid-5 array to an SSD (2TB 850 Pro) when I built my new one. That SSD probably made the biggest difference on my machine in terms of speed. The i7 and 32gb of RAM helps once in Photoshop for sure, but it's nice not having to wait around for files and apps to load since I shoot in RAW. I'll never be able to go back to any kind of spinning drive after this - I have an external, but it's nothing but a backup drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 08:28 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
I'm not saying SSD has no merit. My SSD based PC reboots in 24 seconds. But even a modern PC with a high end i7 boots pretty fast today. Everything has combined to make a higher end pc so much faster today then just a few years ago. An SSD might help Lightroom load 3 seconds faster, but once it's up and running, as you said, there's little benefit.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I don’t I’d realistically spend more than $1500. I just don’t want to spend up to that budget if the difference is marginal.
Thank god. I was afraid you were going to be like "$500?!?". $1,000 is the sweet spot here. That Asus I posted is pretty sweet.

Here's a Dell.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...?skuId=6251734

You could also custom build something at Cyberpower PC. Bought mine from them, cheaper then anywhere else. After pricing everything individually at the time I couldn't even by the parts separately cheaper.
You could easily build a beast with your price range.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:06 PM

14,543 posts, read 16,560,769 times
Quote:
I don’t I’d realistically spend more than $1500. I just don’t want to spend up to that budget if the difference is marginal.
That's fine. Any more than that you're far into diminishing returns.

Shoot for i7 8700, GTX 1060, 16 GB of RAM. Try and get something with at least a 256 GB SSD. You can add a second one easily later, most prebuilt systems won't have two. You can add another 16 GB of RAM later. You can see your total ram utilization in Windows easily enough. If you're frequently maxing it out, add more. The CPU matters more for photo editing work than the video card.

Going beyond $1,500 won't provide much advantage. You'll be able to easily build an i7 8700, GTX 1060, two 500 Samsung EVO 860s, 2 TB HDD for storage, 16 or 32 GB of RAM for under $1,500. Should run around $1,200 to $1,500 mostly dependent on amount of RAM and how expensive a case you go with if you build it yourself. Prebuilt should be similar price. You don't really save any money building your own systems, just have more control over the parts and save some one on stuff you can re-use. Although given the age of your old computer you would be better off not doing that honestly.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You don't really save any money building your own systems,
Sure you do. But, is it worth the extra $50-$250 you might save? That's the thing. Now you have 5 vendors to deal with something if something breaks, instead of one. How much is your time worth? Lot of variables here. Or maybe you simply don't feel like building this time and decided to leave it up to someone else.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:21 AM

3,000 posts, read 3,131,568 times
Quote:
My 10 year old desktop is finally starting to be more trouble than it’s worth. I use my desktop for phot editing and not too much more. I’d appreciate recommendions on what would be a good replacement. I won’t be gaming, but I will be driving two pretty big monitors.
I helped my wife build a PC to support her photography 2.5 years ago. Here's what I'd recommend:

Intel i7 (price has dropped since we made her PC)
32 GB of DDR4 RAM (16 minimum)
a chipset that supports SSD
SSD 500GB - you'll want that space so that while editing/saving your work, it goes to the SSD. Move it off the SSD when done with the work
$200 or less on a video card

I'll be honest in that I'm rarely impressed with PC bundles. They always skimp somewhere. But building your own PC isn't exactly a simple thing if you aren't confident in doing it. However, much of it is simply "plug it in" and make sure to do your electrostatic discharge.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:57 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,336,363 times
Unless you are a professional photographer and videographer, an out of the box PC or Mac in the $1,500 range is plenty. Just make sure that you get at least 16GB RAM, and a couple of hard drives to move the photos to.

I have been photo editing for over ten years, first on an iMac with an i3, and then on a 2010 iMac i5 that had a 1TB internal hard drive. The only upgrade was to replace the internal hard drive with an SSD, not because it needed it. Also added RAM to 16GB. I never leave the edited photos on the internal drive because they are too large and take lots of room. I just move them to external hard drives as follows:

I Have a USB3 SATA drive dock station that has a cooling fan that I plug to the USB port of my computer, and several relatively cheap 2TB SATA hard drives (without enclosures) that I plug to the dock. Once done moving the photos to the drive (s), I disconnect the dock, and stack the drives out of the way.

USB to SATA dock (mine has a cooling fan). Sabrent has both (cooling fan and not).
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Exter...ta+to+usb+dock

The applications I use are as follows:
-Standalone Adobe CS5 and CS6 and their respective Bridge and MiniBridge apps (before Adobe went online with monthly fees)
-Several OneOne effects
-Topaz
-DxO NIK Software

Now, for extensive video editing you want a more powerful computer. I post some of my photos in the Photo and Alaska forums. Also, if you want to spend a fortune or just have the money, you can buy a photo-editing PC or Mac computer.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-01-2018 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or