Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 01:09 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,429 times

Advertisements

I am running 2 Linksys wrt54g router with sevasoft alchemy software so I can bridge the routers and eliminate wires in the house. Computers is a 5 year old self built desktop with AMD Athalon processor, 1 gig memory and decent video etc. older laptop with 2 gig celeron processor, just upgraded memory to 1 gig. Both machines using XP PRO service pack 2.

The problem is if I try to use my logitec fusion web cam and Windows live messenger my video and or audio gets haulting at times and sometimes just dumps the connection. This is a recent thing. Normally the camera is on the desktop but when issues started I switched to the laptop. Both computers connect to the main router wirelessly. This worked better for a while. Now I am having similar issues with the laptop. If I disable the wireless and use the ethernet connection to the main router, the problem is the same. I have to bypass the router and direct connect the laptop to the router for the system to function properly.

Normal internet browsing etc seems unaffected through the routers.

So the question is do any of you network guys have a clue as to what may be causing my problem or what I can check on the router? I would replace it but recent research showed the sevasoft software wont run on the latest verions of this router. I have not tried to do a hard reset on the router as I think I will have to reload the software and add the settings over again. Power down reset has been done many times. Sometimes the router looses connection to the modem and needs power cycled to recover.

By the way I also am running a D-link wireless print server and a linksys wireless music bridge. Haven't tried to power down these items yet and make a connect.

Thanks for your ideas and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 10:59 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,366 times
First, I'd try to simplify your network to just the one router you suspect. If it still fails, then we can determine that its truly just that router.

I'd recommend doing a full reset, and starting from scratch since you know enough to catch settings issues.

Does the problem occur if you're streaming video/audio from the web? Or just when sending it?

You can also try a long high-packet size ping to the router, and see if it ever fails.
(ping -t -l 2000 192.168.1.1) should work.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:30 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,429 times
thanks for the reply, I was trying to understnad more of the inner workings, but will take a couple of days till I can do a full reset. of all the hardware. I think I have narrowed the problem to the main DHCP router, but will turn off the other wireless devices before I start doing more trouble shooting.

I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks again.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:35 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,190,193 times
I'm not a fan of the wrt54g router. I used to have one and had issues with streaming video. Sometimes the thing just dropped connection all together. Got myself a belkin router and have not had a problem since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers