U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 12:00 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,285,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimday View Post
Maybe you did a quick format.
I know I did a "full format" because it took forever to format it.
The drive is a bit over (one) 1 TB big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 05:28 PM

40,290 posts, read 41,836,137 times
1.Download Win10 from MS
2.When you get to "Where do you want to install Windows" highlight and delete all partitions.*
3.Run the installer, it will create the required partitions.
4.Windows should activate, manually run the updates.
5.Check the device manage to make sure drivers were installed for all devices.

There should be system reserved partition there, if it's missing that is likely your problem, Regardless of whether it's there or not deleting it should fix your problem because windows install will recreate it. There is no guarantee but this should work.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:28 PM

68 posts, read 24,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I know I did a "full format" because it took forever to format it.
The drive is a bit over (one) 1 TB big.
I'm sorry I didn't know that.
I don't think buying a new hard drive is necessary.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimday View Post
I'm sorry I didn't know that.
I don't think buying a new hard drive is necessary.
No problemo nimday.

I will try one more time doing what the coalman suggests ...

I hope nothing else in the hardware section is wrong!

Old 07-16-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
1.Download Win10 from MS
2.When you get to "Where do you want to install Windows" highlight and delete all partitions.*
3.Run the installer, it will create the required partitions.
4.Windows should activate, manually run the updates.
5.Check the device manage to make sure drivers were installed for all devices.

There should be system reserved partition there, if it's missing that is likely your problem, Regardless of whether it's there or not deleting it should fix your problem because windows install will recreate it. There is no guarantee but this should work.
Coalman:
1. Download Win10 from MS

Question: which link/ do you suggest to download Win 10 from?

Each time I have tried that and go on from wherever, I always get the message that the serial number I have is not an MS serial number but a specific Dell serial and thus was directed to contact Dell for more info or help.
That is why I now only have a Recovery/Restore USB from Dell, which when used, only in the end gives me the message that the boot manager is missing!

2. When you get to "Where do you want to install Windows" highlight and delete all partitions.*
I do not remember ever seeing this question ...

Old 07-17-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Coalman:
1. Download Win10 from MS

Question: which link/ do you suggest to download Win 10 from?
Arrgh... I'm not so sure why they need to make this so difficult. I donlt recall needing to give them a serial number when I downloaded it.

This is link for 32 bit version:
https://software-download.microsoft....15c3d4e2651b4c

This is link for 64 bit version:
https://software-download.microsoft....15bdb2ad0fb91a

These files are disc images in .ISO format, if you don't know what an .ISO is you can't simply copy this to a disc. It needs to be extracted to the disc, right click it and select "Burn disc image"

The page says those links will only be valid for 24 hours, if they don't work you need to change the user agent on your browser to an iphone and go through the process yourself. Once you have changed the user agent open this link and you should have options to download it directly.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Sounds ridiculous but it works. Every browser is going to have an extension for changing the user agent, this is simply a string sent to the site with the http request identifying what OS/browser..

Quote:
2. When you get to "Where do you want to install Windows" highlight and delete all partitions.*
I do not remember ever seeing this question ...
I'm unfamiliar with the Dell software but this is going to be one of the first pages in the Windows install.

Last edited by thecoalman; 07-17-2018 at 06:54 AM..

Old 07-17-2018, 07:05 AM

One other thing, those files are for both the home and pro versions. You must select the version you had installed if asked.

They may also ask you for the product key before installing. There should be option for "I don't have product key" or something like that. Select that and the install should proceed.

Once installed the very first thing to do is check to make sure it is activated. As I have mentioned before I've done this on three computers without any issues.

I realize that a lot of this sounds nefarious but you are not doing anything illegal here.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
These files are disc images in .ISO format, if you don't know what an .ISO is you can't simply copy this to a disc. It needs to be extracted to the disc, right click it and select "Burn disc image"

The page says those links will only be valid for 24 hours, if they don't work you need to change the user agent on your browser to an iphone and go through the process yourself. Once you have changed the user agent open this link and you should have options to download it directly.

I'm unfamiliar with the Dell software but this is going to be one of the first pages in the Windows install.
When I clicked on the 64bit link, as you suggested, it did not say anything about the link being valid for 24 hours.
It only wanted to ascertain that the file would be downloaded to an area *you* were in agreement with.
The suggested place was my Document directory, so I changed it to my Download directory.
Took about 10 minutes to download, and yes it is an ISO format.

Burned to DVD (per your instructions) and then copied onto USB stick.
The desktop does not have a working CD/DVD drive ..., but it does have 5 USB_2 ports and 2 USB-3 ports ...!

Will let you know how it went ...

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by irman; 07-17-2018 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-19-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Burned to DVD (per your instructions) and then copied onto USB stick.

That's proabaly not going to work, search how to create bootable USB with ISO.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
That's probably not going to work, search how to create bootable USB with ISO.
Amazingly, it did work.

1 - From the ISO, I made a DVD disk, then copied from DVD to USB Stick.
2 - I assumed that a clean install would partition the disk as required, I used the USB stick as the installation source
3 - The screens were not quite as Coalman suggested but they were familiar and I followed all the screen instructions. Sadly I did not make a pictorial record.
4 - After the final screen instruction, I removed the USB stick and restarted the PC.
5 - When the unit turned on and the boot cycle started, I was very worried, because I saw the same thing happening, except it went on beyond just going into a boot loop. It started to look for info but did not find it and then the screen went black for a few seconds and then the normal (what one always sees) boot cycle started.
6 - Then the regular screen questions on how I wanted the OS to function.
7 - Finally the info to be filled in on how to sign in. This was way different then what I was used to because it asked me to open an account with Microsoft (mandatory!!). So I did open an account, and then the procedure to sign in with a PIN number!
8 - The final screen was the welcome screen as usual.
9 - I then let the unit update to latest version, which took a while and a few restarts with the 'wait do not turn off' notices.
10 - I checked the status of the OS and it was NOT activated. I tried to activate but it asked for a serial number. I added the only one I had which was the serial number on the win 7 sticker on the box. That did not work.

So it seems to me the hard drive is still OK.

Since I do have "all the time in the world" (retired and using a working laptop), I will reformat the Hard drive again, then use a USB stick again to install another OS from that USB stick.
(I have an official 32-bit WIN 7 home premium install disk with a serial number from my old laptop.)
Then see if it will load that win 7 system. Then activate with the serial number on the install disk.
When that works, then check if I can change the serial number to the one on the Dell desktop or just upgrade to Win 10.

As a last resort (if I still want to make this desktop work) I may just buy a fresh install, 64 bit, WIN 10 Pro disk from wherever, and install that. After all, it was a freebie, hand me down, from my son!

I wonder if any or all of you gurus on the forum learn like this ...
Try, try, try and try again until it finally works and then you do not know why!

For those who wonder why I "need" two computers, I use the desktop at home and the laptop when I travel to see the kids and grandkids in other states of the USA.

I will continue to report, what will happen next, and try to remember to take pictures of the different screens.
Thanks again for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers