Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 07:10 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

My Toshiba laptop will be fixed as a spare. Now looking into buying a New Dell Laptop and wondering if I should? It will have a 17 inch monitor and I don't care about it's weight or size.

Thanks.

Last edited by JD59; 07-06-2018 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 07:33 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
I have 3 Dell business class laptops. They are built like a tank. If money is not a concern, get a business class. Lenovo Thinkpad lines are good too.

Edit: I just looked at Dell website. It seems the only high end 17'' laptop they have is the Alienware 17'' laptop.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:31 AM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Depends. Dell makes everything from really crappy ones to high end ones. Only thing I think they make 17" anymore is the Inspiron 5000/7000. They're okay. Cheap build quality, weaker processors you'd get in ultrabook normally. But then the 8th gen CPUs U processors are fine. It's just weird to have that in a thick and fat 17" laptop.

Basically there's zero advantage in a 17" normal laptop anymore except the screen. I dock anyway so I don't care about that, but the portability is nice. Even with high end productivity or gaming laptops, the advantage of 17" laptops is pretty minimal. Certainly helpful if you're trying to pack a desktop CPU and a 1080 GPU, but short of that anything over 15" only exists for the screen. But then you can just use externals there for something that just sits on a desk 90% of the time. Not many get made because not many people want them.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Some models of Dell are cheap but they will last 3-5 years before something wears out from drops but I don't think laptops should be kept for more than 5-6 years as they will become too expensive to service when internal parts go bad and a repair job cost more than the value of the laptop.

I personally would never spend over $1000 on any laptop and I've gotten many high end laptops that are over $2k but I think it's a waste of money now that many laptops are powerful and costs around $700, no need for a 4k display laptop or those super thin metal laptop that dents easily.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:55 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Good while they are working OK.

Get a crashed system, because of whatever, forget about the after service, unless you speak Hindi!

Those guys are really hard to understand and when you think you do, you still get the wrong person next, and ... you will get at least 4 referrals to the next guy one speaking worse than the previous.

Been there done that and never will do it again.
Hard drive failed so bought a new hard drive.
I needed an install media and ended up finally getting one USB stick shipped after close to an hour of talking and saying at least umpteen times: "What was that again?"

So I buy whatever works for my purpose and when it fails, I buy new hardware.
I do make sure that I back up everything I need to keep!

Old 07-08-2018, 05:41 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
As others have pointed out, Dell makes everything from crap to high end. I prefer Lenovo's ThinkPad line above pretty much everything else at this point.

I am not sure how HP compares today as I have not really looked at their laptops in quite some time. But, I have an HP i7 with a 17" screen that's still working great after seven years. I replaced it as my primary PC simply due to age. I did not want to rely on an older machine with questionable repair prospects due possibly unavailability of parts. I replaced it with a desktop as my primary PC and it's now used just for travel once or twice a year. If something happens to it, no big deal. Plus, I have a work laptop that I can use if I need portability.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:32 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Personally, I would never buy a Dell. To me, they tie for last place along with Emachines. I like Compaq/HP.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:00 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Over the years my family has had more Dell's than other brands. In the distance pass we had a couple of problems and service was good. Currently have one less than a year old and when I started it up I had a few questions and was not sure all was working. After a week or so everything is working so the problem might have been me. Once you get the computer you may have to update both the Dell and Windows software and that is where I ran into my problem. I assume the same updates will be needed for any brand.

I would stay away from the Source Pro.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:21 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Bottom line: you get what you pay for.

Buy a $300 Dell: it's going to be crap/ Buy a $700 Dell: it's going to be pretty good. Buy a $1,500 Dell: it's going to be rock solid.
My $800 Dell is PHENOMENAL. I love that laptop. It's skinny and fast and well built and has an SSD and it convertible and and and.
Can't recommend enough.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:28 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
I always buy dell. never had a problem. They last a long time.

I refuse to buy lenova. they are chinese owned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers