U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:48 AM

1,758 posts, read 662,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
They have a very good return policy, which is part of why I buy their products. Keep the receipt. Keep the box. Don't damage it. You shouldn't have any problems.

I've bought and returned lots of products and they've never given me any hassle. I once bought a superdrive, used it for a couple hours, then returned it. My stated reason for the return was, "I only needed it for a couple hours." The employee didn't bat an eye.
Thx, Jason. I'll keep it in mind. I'm not as trusting as you that they'll accept a return, so I'm still mulling it all over. Thank you again for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 08:38 AM

13,332 posts, read 20,382,420 times
A 5th Generation iPad is $249 at WalMart. That doesn’t seem pricey to me. I know it will work as I’m typing this on one right now.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:28 PM

4,914 posts, read 2,508,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I...
My computers & phone are Win 8.2/10. When I asked if she also used Skype, she was very firm in saying "we're a 100% Apple platform", leading me to believe that I need to find a way to use Face Time or show up in person. I tried to find out if I could download Face Time on a PC, but found that it's not possible:
i wonder what they do for actual clients ? do they just lose business since skype/webex are much more popular ?

i've never worked for a company that was 100% apple only and the few that had apples would have 1 or 2 macs in a lab for testing purposes.

ifones and ipads are popular. do you have a friends you can borrow ? (else, i voted up the suggestion of buying one and returning it).

i would tell the salesperson at the store that you are considering a migration from windows to ios and would like to test drive one. after 2 weeks, if you like it you will keep it; else, you plan to return it for a full refund.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 07-09-2018 at 12:41 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 12:40 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,289,639 times
i say f them.. if they cant download or use antoher online source for video then they got some personal issues. I mean come on it is web base system as well so no need to download anything.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 PM

6,502 posts, read 6,261,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I have a 2nd interview next Sat. The location is 270-mi away. When we had a phone interview yesterday, she said that due to distance, she's happy to conduct the interview via Face Time, so as to not have me drive back & forth twice... cuz if Sat goes well, I'll need to do a 3rd & final F2F 1-wk later.

My computers & phone are Win 8.2/10. When I asked if she also used Skype, she was very firm in saying "we're a 100% Apple platform", leading me to believe that I need to find a way to use Face Time or show up in person. I tried to find out if I could download Face Time on a PC, but found that it's not possible:

https://www.lifewire.com/can-you-use...indows-2000762 AND
FaceTime for PC - Download FaceTime App on Windows | Facetime Alternatives

I also got the feeling it was a bit of a test... we're going to hire you for mngmt, find the smartest solution.

Is the above the most recent info or can FT now be used on Win? If I can't use FT, is it possible to rent an iPhone for 1-mo? I have no one to borrow one from, btw or I'd ask to do so. I don't need an Apple phone... if hired, I'd be given one. Any tech solutions or ideas?

Thank you very much.
Just get an iPad and a cheap plan.

No FaceTime on Windows or Android. No way around that, probably never will be. You could try an alternative but no way of knowing how well that is going to work or how Apple blocks that or if they even support that interface. This is not the time to find out I can see you mid conversation thinking that you're talking to the other party but in reality you're just talking to yourself.

And get a good connection don't rely on someone's public Wi-Fi.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:23 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,973,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I guess it depends on the size of the company you're applying for. Anything large enough to have an IT department, I wouldn't bother wasting my time. If they aren't interested enough to spend two minutes setting up a videoconference using Skype or whatever (and it's probably already done anyway, assuming it's a company that ever does videoconferencing), it's not like they're really interested. If it's a very small operation in a non-technical field where the person you're interviewing is technically challenged and has no IT department to plug in keyboards when they can't figure that out, maybe that's different.

There's a reason Face Time never took off with businesses. It's extremely limited disregarding that it's Apple Only which is it's own negative. It's fine for a one-on-one interview though, aside from the Apple only. If that's the only type of videoconferencing the organization ever does, it's possible they've never bothered to setup any real videoconferencing software.... and if there's no one to plug in keyboards there maybe. Otherwise, well, they're not really interested.
Totally agree.
Personally I don't think this is a test at all. It doesn't even make sense that they would test a Manager to see if she can somehow do last minute Facetime. That's not the case, I assure you.
Personally I would either ask a good friend to borrow their iPhone or make the drive.
"Sorry, I don't have an iDevice so I can't Facetime"
No decent company is going to test you like that or make you go buy an iPad for a job INTERVIEW.
I also don't understand her reply: Can we uyse Skype?
We use i-devices.
Ok, so can't we skype? because THAT WORKS ON iDEVICES YA BONEHEAD.
lol

Be honest, make the drive.

100% agree with Malloric.. i'd be skeptical of this company not willing to bend at all for you.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:36 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,289,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Just get an iPad and a cheap plan.

No FaceTime on Windows or Android. No way around that, probably never will be. You could try an alternative but no way of knowing how well that is going to work or how Apple blocks that or if they even support that interface. This is not the time to find out I can see you mid conversation thinking that you're talking to the other party but in reality you're just talking to yourself.

And get a good connection don't rely on someone's public Wi-Fi.
Android DUO is the alternative.. cross platform..

Old 07-09-2018, 02:40 PM

4,914 posts, read 2,508,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Android DUO is the alternative.. cross platform..
havent tried it. so someone on android(duo) can call someone with ifone(face-time) ? if so then she can hope that duo is on windows-fone as well (or borrow an android device).

i know with hangouts, my ifone friends would have to download hangouts first in order to join a group call.

i find it skeptical that this company is purposefully choosing the most restrictive program with the least features to do something thats fairly trivial.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:44 PM

Thank you again, everyone else who responded. Really helpful info. And, no, as I mentioned above, I can't borrow anything, or I wouldn't have asked about a workaround... just moved to a new state, I know no one.

It may have worked itself out... as I said above, this is the RM who ghosted me twice in the same week for phone interviews. She was supposed to call by early morning with a time for next Sat's interview... haven't heard yet. Honestly, I have a gut feeling to not bother. The co would be one I'd like to work with, but perhaps not under her mngmt... I doubt I'd have any kind of support from her & it may be more trouble than it's worth.

They have openings all across the states on a regular basis. I'll just continue to apply for those.

I was on a local interview today, so had no time to check into rentals... I'll do that tomorrow, just for info gathering purposes. If she can do FT & I can rent, I'll do that. If not, I'm not driving 600-mi RT as I have absolutely no trust in her & she either has no respect for me or is so unorganized, it would be painful working for her.

Thanks again, Everyone! I'll update as the mystery of the disappearing RM unfolds.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i find it skeptical that this company is purposefully choosing the most restrictive program with the least features to do something thats fairly trivial.
Yep. I'm annoyed with her now. I'm moving on... She's not reliable or sensible, imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or