Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 04:49 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times

Advertisements

I have a 2nd interview next Sat. The location is 270-mi away. When we had a phone interview yesterday, she said that due to distance, she's happy to conduct the interview via Face Time, so as to not have me drive back & forth twice... cuz if Sat goes well, I'll need to do a 3rd & final F2F 1-wk later.

My computers & phone are Win 8.2/10. When I asked if she also used Skype, she was very firm in saying "we're a 100% Apple platform", leading me to believe that I need to find a way to use Face Time or show up in person. I tried to find out if I could download Face Time on a PC, but found that it's not possible:

https://www.lifewire.com/can-you-use...indows-2000762 AND
FaceTime for PC - Download FaceTime App on Windows | Facetime Alternatives

I also got the feeling it was a bit of a test... we're going to hire you for mngmt, find the smartest solution.

Is the above the most recent info or can FT now be used on Win? If I can't use FT, is it possible to rent an iPhone for 1-mo? I have no one to borrow one from, btw or I'd ask to do so. I don't need an Apple phone... if hired, I'd be given one. Any tech solutions or ideas?

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 05:23 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Buy an iPad.
You may well want it if you get the job, because you will need familiarity.
Sell it if you don't and you lose less than the cost of travel and show the interviewer your skill and flexibility.

Confirm Facetime, because I, too, am a Microsoft/Windows guy...
https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-...7-inch/review/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204380

Old 07-08-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Buy an iPad.
You may well want it if you get the job, because you will need familiarity.
Sell it if you don't and you lose less than the cost of travel and show the interviewer your skill and flexibility.

Confirm Facetime, because I, too, am a Microsoft/Windows guy...
https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-...7-inch/review/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204380

Perfect, Mike, cheers so much. But, yikes, they're pricey. Like you, if I wanted/needed a tablet, I'd buy a Win product... bonus is they're under $100. I'm now searching for nearby rentals... there are some co's who rent for conferences & 1 is a few mi away, so I'll call them tomorrow... maybe it doesn't have to be a bulk order.

Thank you kindly for the links, too. I'll let you know how it works out... if not, Best Buy is around the corner & I'll buy one if need be.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:48 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Good luck! I hope it is a great job and that you get it!

Old 07-08-2018, 10:02 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Can you just drive to the closest Apple store? Buy an iPad, use it for your interview, then return it if you don't want it.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:27 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Perfect, Mike, cheers so much. But, yikes, they're pricey. Like you, if I wanted/needed a tablet, I'd buy a Win product...
Rental may be the best solution here (I'm curious what it will cost), but it sounds like you'll need to change this attitude if you want to work for this company!

I used Windows before I became an apple person, and I still have a Windows 10 laptop as it was cheaper than a macbook and I want to remain versatile, but I prefer the Apple OS by a lot.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:38 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
I guess it depends on the size of the company you're applying for. Anything large enough to have an IT department, I wouldn't bother wasting my time. If they aren't interested enough to spend two minutes setting up a videoconference using Skype or whatever (and it's probably already done anyway, assuming it's a company that ever does videoconferencing), it's not like they're really interested. If it's a very small operation in a non-technical field where the person you're interviewing is technically challenged and has no IT department to plug in keyboards when they can't figure that out, maybe that's different.

There's a reason Face Time never took off with businesses. It's extremely limited disregarding that it's Apple Only which is it's own negative. It's fine for a one-on-one interview though, aside from the Apple only. If that's the only type of videoconferencing the organization ever does, it's possible they've never bothered to setup any real videoconferencing software.... and if there's no one to plug in keyboards there maybe. Otherwise, well, they're not really interested.

Last edited by Malloric; 07-08-2018 at 05:49 PM..

Old 07-08-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Can you just drive to the closest Apple store? Buy an iPad, use it for your interview, then return it if you don't want it.
Hi Jason, I wouldn't want to be dishonest or risk ending up with a $400 store credit rather than a refund. Unless you know something I don't... does Apple have a liberal refund policy? And, ultimately, what would be an acceptable reason for returning it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Rental may be the best solution here (I'm curious what it will cost), but it sounds like you'll need to change this attitude if you want to work for this company!

I used Windows before I became an apple person, and I still have a Windows 10 laptop as it was cheaper than a macbook and I want to remain versatile, but I prefer the Apple OS by a lot.
Hi Debsi, I come from a SoftDev background, I'm familiar with Apple products & have used them for work... I personally prefer Win & am talking about a personal purchase here, not biz. It's just going to be used once for kinda, sorta biz purposes.

I don't want to get into too much personal info, but this is just a stepping stone job, not a dream job... but, I'm not in a position to turn down any offer... so, if I ultimately have to hoop jump, I may. This position would include an Apple phone & laptop and/or iPad... I have 2 computers & phone, so have no need to purchase any other device. Also, if all goes well, I still have to spend approx $200 for a F2F visit the following Sat for a final interview. So, I'm just weighing all $$$ options.

I did say I got the impression it was a bit of a test. Since Skype can be used on any platform, perhaps asserting that Skype is the most cost effective, smart, easy solution is what's necessary? IOW, if a client said they couldn't FT for a conference call, would we turn them away until they purchased an iPad or iPhone? IDK the answer... maybe everyone uses Apple for biz, but a few of us. But, if they're hiring me for mngmt decisions, then it might be in my best interest to at least present it, even if it's declined.

She should be calling tomorrow with an interview time next Sat. As an aside, if you followed the other thread on employer ghosting, this is the RM who ghosted me twice same day for phone interviews, then called 1-wk later & we did an instant phone interview, which took place yesterday. I'm not that willing to invest $$ as she might ghost me again for the upcoming FT interview, especially since all the other candidates are local. I'd be especially wary if she leaves me 'til end of day... I've been ghosted on 2 of those 4-5pm phone interviews recently, as well... other jobs, but still... her track record w/me hasn't been dependable. It's ultimately why I thought showing up in person might be my best bet... still pondering... my trust in her reliability is modest.

Okay, so here's what I'll do... I'll call that local co tomorrow for a price on Apple rentals. Hopefully, they wouldn't mind renting 1 device... they normally supply conferences, etc., so may not want to get involved with all the paperwork for 1 device... but, they're around the corner, so maybe if I p/u & return, they'll be amenable, if they have product in-house & not at a warehouse. However, if they can't help, they'd most likely know of a local co who would do single rentals, if they exist.

Also... & I'd prefer not to, but, it occurred to me that my out-of-state ex-bf has his own biz & uses Apple. We're on friendly terms & in touch regularly. It might be possible that he could FedEx an extra phone to me, if he has an extra... he did the same years ago, when I was on the road for many months & broke my Win phone... overnight FedEx'd it to my hotel 'til I could get a Win replacement as they're not usually available off the shelf. I don't like to bother him about it, but it's preferable to spending $400+, so worth asking... I'll email him now.

Lastly, I do have a local interview tomorrow with 2-3 mngrs for another co/field... from feedback I've read online, they often hire within a few days, which is why they set up team interviews. Seems much more efficient. If that comes through, I wouldn't have to pay relocation costs (which will be modest, but it's still a bother) or buy-out my apt lease. Maybe by the time the Sat interview rolls around, I'll either be offered a position or have a 2nd interview... or, will have found a $olution to the FT dilemma.

Thank you so much for brainstorming with me, everyone. It's helping me narrow down options & I appreciate all the valuable input.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I guess it depends on the size of the company you're applying for. Anything large enough to have an IT department, I wouldn't bother wasting my time. If they aren't interested enough to spend two minutes setting up a videoconference using Skype or whatever (and it's probably already done anyway, assuming it's a company that ever does videoconferencing), it's not like they're really interested. If it's a very small operation in a non-technical field where the person you're interviewing is technically challenged and has no IT department to plug in keyboards when they can't figure that out, maybe that's different.

There's a reason Face Time never took off with businesses. It's extremely limited disregarding that it's Apple Only which is it's own negative. It's fine for a one-on-one interview though, aside from the Apple only. If that's the only type of videoconferencing the organization ever does, it's possible they've never bothered to setup any real videoconferencing software.... and if there's no one to plug in keyboards there maybe. Otherwise, well, they're not really interested.
Hi Malloric, really good points. It's a $B internat'l co & in Re: to the current jumping through hoops, I've mostly worked for co's that large & they do tend to give the impression that they should crash & burn daily due to red tape, inner communication deficits, meetings driven by headbutting & ego, etc... at least, that's been my personal working experience.

This is a low level dept mngmt job & as they hire almost exclusively from within, I'm just trying to get my foot in the door. Benefits are solid, they own many other co's & encourage cross-promotion & they've always been stable, so I have no fear of being laid off.

I don't kid myself into thinking I'm of value to them. There are many local entry level mngrs they could hire, so that I was called at all is surprising. This position also has a high rate of turnover, but I'd be taking the job to come up to speed asap & either move out of it within 1-yr or having the brand name on my CV, so I could pursue other jobs with other cos. I also don't want to let the RM I've been in contact with influence my overall thoughts of the co as a whole, because I have interviewed years back with other mngrs & they were great. She seems over-stretched or unorganized. Since I'm always willing to relocate, in time, I may not be working with her at all... however, that's also my weakness, since I'm not local. In fact, I might just be her fill-in, in-case-of candidate... if no one local impresses them in the interviews (unlikely), then they'll fall to me.

I posted before I read your msg, so I've got a plan. If it happens, it happens. I'm not in a position to turn down anything, but I also don't trust her enough to invest much $ in interviews. I'll mull it over. In the meantime, I've got to prepare for an afternoon local interview tomorrow... maybe that will work out. Fingers crossed.

Thank you for your input.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:16 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Hi Jason, I wouldn't want to be dishonest or risk ending up with a $400 store credit rather than a refund. Unless you know something I don't... does Apple have a liberal refund policy? And, ultimately, what would be an acceptable reason for returning it?
They have a very good return policy, which is part of why I buy their products. Keep the receipt. Keep the box. Don't damage it. You shouldn't have any problems.

I've bought and returned lots of products and they've never given me any hassle. I once bought a superdrive, used it for a couple hours, then returned it. My stated reason for the return was, "I only needed it for a couple hours." The employee didn't bat an eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers