U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2018, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Reputation: 8060

Advertisements

Must not have been that important apparently.... OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2018, 01:20 PM
 
28,619 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Reputation: 37291
Sailed of the edge of Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 03:18 PM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
5,416 posts, read 8,781,614 times
Reputation: 7526
Quote:
Just an Ethernet cord with a switch or a cat5e wall jack to plug it in? Routers are too expensive for right now (at least a good one) and I've heard that I can set up a personal connection with only an Ethernet cord.
Still looking for an Ethernet cord that likes puppies and long walks on the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
10,604 posts, read 9,054,024 times
Reputation: 12392
If you have a mobil phone with 3 to 5 G service. You can use that as a local hub for internet. No cords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 04:32 PM
 
Location: 49th parallel
2,828 posts, read 1,491,727 times
Reputation: 5925
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
if you have Win10. and laptop.. hardline your laptop and turn on hot spot.. free!
Wait a minute. Speak English. What does "hardline your laptop" mean? I know about the hot spot thing because I am paying an extra $10/month to Xfinity to access it wherever it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2018, 02:07 PM
 
2,360 posts, read 1,287,624 times
Reputation: 2093
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Wait a minute. Speak English. What does "hardline your laptop" mean? I know about the hot spot thing because I am paying an extra $10/month to Xfinity to access it wherever it is.
Here is the break down. This will only work if your using this at home.

1. ALL Laptops have wifi cards
2. Win 10 just added a feature or been a feature im late to the game. call Hot spot 2.0

3. Hook up your laptop to a ISP modem LAN, This will give your laptop a public IP that is not a 192.x.x.x address.
4. This free up your wifi on your laptop.


Now go and read the rest of the info.. This makes your laptop a router for other devices without the need of a router. It will work for 2-3 devices but connection will be slow as your wifi is not designed to handle this feature.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-e...rks-windows-10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2018, 02:20 PM
 
11,590 posts, read 8,274,610 times
Reputation: 12749
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thzodiac View Post
Just an Ethernet cord with a switch or a cat5e wall jack to plug it in? Routers are too expensive for right now (at least a good one) and I've heard that I can set up a personal connection with only an Ethernet cord.
Yes you don't need a router, that's only for wifi, you can connect the computer directly to your ethernet cable thru the modem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2018, 06:15 PM
 
7,147 posts, read 3,904,178 times
Reputation: 6699
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Yes you don't need a router, that's only for wifi, you can connect the computer directly to your ethernet cable thru the modem.
A router is technically not WiFi...it just so happens that most routers are also a wireless access point.

In my case I use a wired router appliance (Untangle) and then wireless access points.

I would still recommend a router as it acts as a firewall as part of its function. If going direct it is important to have Windows Firewall enabled. My router logs pick up all sorts of people trying to hack in, many from China, Russia, and Southeast Asia countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Reputation: 8060
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Here is the break down. This will only work if your using this at home.

1. ALL Laptops have wifi cards
2. Win 10 just added a feature or been a feature im late to the game. call Hot spot 2.0

3. Hook up your laptop to a ISP modem LAN, This will give your laptop a public IP that is not a 192.x.x.x address.
4. This free up your wifi on your laptop.


Now go and read the rest of the info.. This makes your laptop a router for other devices without the need of a router. It will work for 2-3 devices but connection will be slow as your wifi is not designed to handle this feature.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-e...rks-windows-10
I don't think this is anything remotely what OP is trying to do. It sounds to me like OP just needs internet on her / his computer only.
Athough we may never know since OP hasn't come back.
Time for this thread to die until we get clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2018, 08:55 AM
 
Location: San Diego
36,702 posts, read 33,174,193 times
Reputation: 21058
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
if you have Win10. and laptop.. hardline your laptop and turn on hot spot.. free!
You can use your phone like that too. Especially if you root it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top