U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 02:36 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,810,014 times

Advertisements

Just picked up my new Dell laptop today and after using it for a couple hours, I notice that my finger tips were a bit sore/numb. The touchpad seems to have more of a "matte" finish to it instead of a "glossy" one. It wasn't too noticeable when testing it out, but with long use it becomes a bit of an issue. Has anyone else run into this, and how did you resolve it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 03:05 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,516,174 times
Use a stylus, the big stores have them for as low as $10 and I have seen plenty of them in the dollar store for a buck, so buy them, use them and toss them when they wear out or buy a good one to start with.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:11 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,810,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Use a stylus, the big stores have them for as low as $10 and I have seen plenty of them in the dollar store for a buck, so buy them, use them and toss them when they wear out or buy a good one to start with.
I'm looking for a fix, not a workaround. If I have to use a workaround, I'll get a wireless mouse. But I want to fix it if someone has a solution.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:58 PM

4,573 posts, read 3,894,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Just picked up my new Dell laptop today and after using it for a couple hours, I notice that my finger tips were a bit sore/numb. The touchpad seems to have more of a "matte" finish to it instead of a "glossy" one. It wasn't too noticeable when testing it out, but with long use it becomes a bit of an issue. Has anyone else run into this, and how did you resolve it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I'm looking for a fix, not a workaround. If I have to use a workaround, I'll get a wireless mouse. But I want to fix it if someone has a solution.
If you just picked it up today and you're unhappy with it and looking for a fix and not a workaround solution, if you're able to...return it and look for something else.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:18 PM

295 posts, read 232,761 times
Probably that way to reduce fingerprints. All touchpads I remember using were more of a matte texture but I hate them all so for any extended use I use a wireless mouse.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:30 PM

11,316 posts, read 17,865,590 times
I hate using touchpads, and I adore this super responsive mouse.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...se-m535?crid=7

Old 07-19-2018, 10:09 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
I adore modern touchpads. Being ablke to zoom and scroll and swipe... this is how computing should be.

I've never heard of one being 'hard' on someone's fingers. I doubt it is because of the texture. I would assume it is more from the pressure required to activate it? You could try enabling tap to click.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:19 PM

11,316 posts, read 17,865,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I adore modern touchpads. Being ablke to zoom and scroll and swipe... this is how computing should be.

I've never heard of one being 'hard' on someone's fingers. I doubt it is because of the texture. I would assume it is more from the pressure required to activate it? You could try enabling tap to click.
For you! It’s just never felt like an extension of my thoughts the way a good mouse does. I’m an Apple fan in general, but both their trackpad and Magic Mouse ended up in a drawer. I did try to get used to them.

I can and will use the laptop trackpad under duress.

I don’t know if this has anything to do with the fact that I’m left handed, use the mouse on the left side, but with the right hand mode selected in set-up. I’ve tried using the lefty set up, but it becomes too confusing both for other people who sit at my work station and for me when I sit at a righty’s workstation. (I married a righty so this is a frequent occurrence even at my home office)

Call me inflexible if you will, but I’d love to see a righty use a left handed keyboard sometime. I’ve already seen lots of techy righty’s totally fail to adjust to the left-handed mouse setup I used to use, even after they’re told about it.
I’ve no problem using the number pad with my right hand, I’m so used to it.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:15 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Apple's are THE BEST! No pleasing some people.
(Also left handed but I pretty much only write lefty, everything else righty. Technically ambidextrous, I guess?)

Old 07-19-2018, 03:10 PM

1,096 posts, read 503,721 times
One way to resolve the trackpad or no trackpad issue is to switch to a Trackball mouse!

Both my wife (for her laptop) and me (for my desk top) have switched to a Kensington trackball mouse never looking back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers