U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 09:32 AM

2,715 posts, read 3,006,243 times

Advertisements

I was told by a friend to do the following which sounds fine. But she has Windows XP and I have Apple MacMini. Can someone please assure me that this is fine to do on my computer - if it is? THank you.

(Quote) On the Firefox, if you go to Help, then Troubleshoot, to the upper right of that page is a command to refresh Firefox. That cleans out all leftover stuff from when it upgrades, that keeps things from not working as well as it should. (Unquote)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 09:55 AM

3,991 posts, read 2,627,494 times
The reset should be the same on a Mac and PC.

How to Reset Mozilla Firefox

Old 07-21-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The reset should be the same on a Mac and PC.

How to Reset Mozilla Firefox

Are you saying I will have to do some "resetting" afterward? Or is that what my friend called "refresh"?

Thanks.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:31 AM

10,621 posts, read 9,066,148 times
You do not need to reset your Mac. When you upgrade OSx, it's not like W10 at all. No junk is left behind. Just make sure, you or Apple restarted your Mac after the new OSx was installed.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
You do not need to reset your Mac. When you upgrade OSx, it's not like W10 at all. No junk is left behind. Just make sure, you or Apple restarted your Mac after the new OSx was installed.

All right. In that case I'll wait because my computer guru is presently indisposed. I don't want to trouble him until he is back home from hospital and maybe then some.

Thanks much.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:28 PM

5,424 posts, read 8,795,632 times
This function is no longer called Reset. It is Refresh. You should read this webpage
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...s-and-settings
thoroughly before attempting it.

"The refresh feature fixes many issues by restoring Firefox to its default state while saving your essential information like bookmarks, passwords, and open tabs."

"All of your Firefox settings and personal information are stored in a profile folder. The refresh feature works by creating a new profile folder for you while saving your important data. "

"If the refresh didn't fix your problem you can restore some of the information not saved by copying files to the new profile that was created." from the copy of old profile saved on desktop.

FWIW, in 10+ years of using Firefox on a Mac, I have never needed to do a Reset/Refresh.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
This function is no longer called Reset. It is Refresh. You should read this webpage
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...s-and-settings
thoroughly before attempting it.

"The refresh feature fixes many issues by restoring Firefox to its default state while saving your essential information like bookmarks, passwords, and open tabs."

"All of your Firefox settings and personal information are stored in a profile folder. The refresh feature works by creating a new profile folder for you while saving your important data. "

"If the refresh didn't fix your problem you can restore some of the information not saved by copying files to the new profile that was created." from the copy of old profile saved on desktop.

FWIW, in 10+ years of using Firefox on a Mac, I have never needed to do a Reset/Refresh.

I like your last sentence. Especially since we can't be sure Firefox is our problem - hers or mine. For me, I do know that Firefox will often not let me print whereas Safari will. Thunderbird seems to be the real issue. It will not move documents when asked to. Instead it loses them. "Move to", "Copy to", drag and drop - none work right.

I'll let it rest a while. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:24 PM

13,341 posts, read 20,388,324 times
I had to do a refresh recently. Yes, it was on a Mac. Since I had everything synced up, it worked great! I had to reinstall some of my add-ons, change a couple of settings that I wanted. Nothing was lost. I had to do it because my search was automatically going to Bing even though it was set for Google. None of the suggestions I found online worked, so I did the refresh.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:18 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,910 posts, read 33,651,200 times
Do the refresh. It won't affect anything but the browser.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:54 PM

4,636 posts, read 3,969,190 times
Firefox would just clean up its own history and do nothing for the rest of your computer. What are you trying to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers