U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2018, 05:02 PM

5,543 posts, read 2,415,019 times

Advertisements

So, my HP computer from 2005 is still running great. It might run Windows XP, and isn't used for online work, but it is great for Word and Excel. My MacBook from 2009 is steadily failing. The trackpad stopped working a few months ago, and now I'm getting a "battery service" warning.

The HP always boots up fast, and never crashes. The Mac started off fast, and never used to have issues. But it has become ever slower, and more like spaghetti code confused Windows-ish with succeeding OS updates.

I obviously like to make computers last as long as possible.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-28-2018 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 05:14 AM

2,753 posts, read 5,967,694 times
I have an HP EliteBook 8740w laptop. It runs good, but sometimes the HD runs for long periods of time. I just shut it down and reboot it. I use Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS (Long Term Support) and it's a great OS. It's free and open source. Very few programs cost anything, but those that do are very specialized. It's so simple your grandmother could use it.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:10 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
I cannot even fathom using a 13 year old computer...

Old 07-30-2018, 09:14 AM

5,543 posts, read 2,415,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I cannot even fathom using a 13 year old computer...
Why? If it runs everything I need, works faster than any other computers I use (including at work, with all the latest models), and never crashes. I see no reason not to use it. Might as well get full use out of it, and every dollar's worth.

Maybe an ego thing, or something along the lines of "I can only use the latest technology"? Maybe a status thing, like never having a car older than one or two years, and constantly buying new ones (and losing money in the process)? I guess I'm just too practical to most people. Hey, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-30-2018 at 09:56 AM..

Old 07-30-2018, 10:05 AM

2,991 posts, read 1,039,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Why? If it runs everything I need, works faster than any other computers I use (including at work, with all the latest models), and never crashes. I see no reason not to use it. Might as well get full use out of it, and every dollar's worth.

Maybe an ego thing, or something along the lines of "I can only use the latest technology"? Maybe a status thing, like never having a car older than one or two years, and constantly buying new ones (and losing money in the process)? I guess I'm just too practical for most. Hey, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I don't replace them until the break, either.

I don't think I have ever gotten one to last 13 years,
but I have had a few last past 6 years. Had at least one
last more than 10. It was running DOS 6.xx on a Pentium

I ran Desq View for years after Jerry Pounelle said
his wife was the last person in the world using it.
Still miss it.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:14 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Quote:
Maybe an ego thing,
Wow. Judgy much?

Quote:
or something along the lines of "I can only use the latest technology"?
Errr... how about I like to use software that's kept up to date?

Quote:
Maybe a status thing,

Yea, maybe that's it. Because all my friends know how modern my computers are. That's sarcasm... they don't know nor do they care. So if it's a status symbol would it then be something you should flaunt right?

Quote:
Why? If it runs everything I need, works faster than any other computers I use (including at work, with all the latest models), and never crashes.
I have a really hard time believing that.

Quote:
Might as well get full use out of it, and every dollar's worth.
You've already gotten your money's worth. If you're happy, that's great. If it does what you want, awesome! I won't judge you. Bottom line for me: I don't have computers that I keep offline, so a 13 year old computer running Windows XP could not do 1 10th of the stuff I use my computer for. This is why I cannot imagine using one. Because I cannot.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:06 PM

5,728 posts, read 6,920,279 times
I have computers more than 20 years old that work just fine, my 'newest' one is nearly 10 years old...and it was a freebie 'throw-away' that I fixed.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:52 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,290,077 times
we have a p1 at work that all it does is ftp access for our techs in the field.. its a laptop about size of a small suit case.. and weights about 10 lbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers