U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:14 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Read the original post, that is exactly whats being talked about.
Don't need no stinkin' original post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 03:14 AM

9,087 posts, read 6,403,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Just principle. I am not paying an annual fee to use Windows. Period.
Just like I wouldn't buy Office 365. I am not 'renting' software. Ever.

Now it may make sense for business. May. But personally? Nope. Never.
You're not only right, but vehemently so.

As I've been saying for many years, the trend in software quality as viewed by the consumer has been moving backward for most of 20 years. "New" hasn't been better for a long, long time.

Microsoft can't seem to help itself and seems hell bent on continuing to slip-slide away. To establish itself as the "Sears" of the software industry. And it will be a downfall well deserved.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:39 AM

14,543 posts, read 16,560,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Read the original post, that is exactly whats being talked about.
It is not.

First of all, there's nothing in the original post except links. They're all speculative. The first one thinks by 2021 Windows will be similar to Office, which of course means you can either buy Office or subscribe to Office 365. Even if that's true, which I very highly doubt by 2021, nothing is changing with Office. Don't want to subscribe to a service? No problem. Go buy Office instead. Offering a subscription option is not even remotely the same as requiring it. Microsoft hasn't shown any indications at all that it is going to require anyone to subscribe to Office 365.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-08-2018 at 05:51 AM..

Old 08-08-2018, 09:10 AM

5,669 posts, read 5,273,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
...the trend in software quality as viewed by the consumer has been moving backward for most of 20 years. "New" hasn't been better for a long, long time.
This trend is echoed, at least for my colleagues and me, in the office workplace. Time and time again I find things called "upgrades" are nothing of the sort, and there are numerous instances of inferior modern software replacing older applications (from other vendors or not) that worked better (more efficiently, more flexibly, etc.) years earlier. If it ain't broken, some enterprise infrastructure team will be tasked with finding out how to ditch it and bring on something new that subtly or dramatically breaks it.

A good, easy example of this that I can mention here is our intra-company instant messaging system, which is hobbled in every way I can think of compared to what we had through 2015 or so (hell, even compared to what I used at home in the year 2000!). But when we have little company forum commenting, the sycophants come out of the woodwork to heap mindless, heedless praise on the new system. (One thing I can't stand in contemporary software and web interface design is this insistence on lots of blank space between interface elements, between rows of buttons or lines of information, etc.)

Last edited by Nepenthe; 08-08-2018 at 09:21 AM..

Old 08-08-2018, 12:01 PM

/Close

Old 08-14-2018, 08:23 PM

10,626 posts, read 4,947,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So you'd switch to Linux on principal if there was a lease option for Windows but would entertain buying Office 2016 when there's a lease option with Office 365? I'm even more confused than ever.

Maybe the confusion is you seem to think Managed Desktop will be an optional service and you'll have the choice to operate under an annual subscription or use a lifetime license as with Office. And maybe that will be the case but the article referenced in post 1 said Microsoft wants to "replace" Windows with Managed Desktop. And it also notes that Updates will not be optional.

I think the guy saying he'll dump Windows means when the day comes that MS declares Windows 10 end of life, and no longer offers a lifetime license but requires subscription. I didn't take his post to mean he will dump Windows as soon as a subscription option becomes available but when the subscription option becomes the only Windows option, with the choice being to subscribe to Managed Desktop or proceed with another OS.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:23 AM

Common sense rears it's head. Amazing what logical thought process can achieve.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:38 PM

14,543 posts, read 16,560,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Maybe the confusion is you seem to think Managed Desktop will be an optional service and you'll have the choice to operate under an annual subscription or use a lifetime license as with Office. And maybe that will be the case but the article referenced in post 1 said Microsoft wants to "replace" Windows with Managed Desktop. And it also notes that Updates will not be optional.

I think the guy saying he'll dump Windows means when the day comes that MS declares Windows 10 end of life, and no longer offers a lifetime license but requires subscription. I didn't take his post to mean he will dump Windows as soon as a subscription option becomes available but when the subscription option becomes the only Windows option, with the choice being to subscribe to Managed Desktop or proceed with another OS.
Well, yeah. That's what the more sensational article explicitly says. I guess if actually reading it means confusion, then I am confused.
Quote:
By 2021, I expect the Managed Desktop to be to traditional Windows what Office 365 is to Office today: the wave of the future. Or maybe tsunami, depending on your perspective.
Office isn't going anywhere in the near-term. Office 2019 is coming out, and there's really been nothing to indicate that traditional Office existing alongside Office 365 will end with Office 2019. So yes, talking about Windows being subscription only is not what anyone thus far has said. If it's what they are thinking but not saying, I don't know. I'm not a mind-reader. It's certainly not what the Computer World article was talking about, click bait title notwithstanding.

I don't mind that future. Microsoft offers enough with 365 it makes sense for many people and doesn't for others. I'm quite happy with it over Office. If you're not, buy Office (or use Libre). If Microsoft can offer enough value I'd be fine with Windows Managed Desktop subscription. That would be more complicated though. Most people buy computers rather than build their own so Windows already comes installed.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-15-2018 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-15-2018, 01:02 PM

6,178 posts, read 2,792,446 times
Yeah, what could possibly go wrong with letting Micro$oft have even more control over YOUR OWN COMPUTER THAT YOU BOUGHT AND PAID FOR.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:37 PM

25,247 posts, read 18,718,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, yeah. That's what the more sensational article explicitly says. I guess if actually reading it means confusion, then I am confused.

Office isn't going anywhere in the near-term. Office 2019 is coming out, and there's really been nothing to indicate that traditional Office existing alongside Office 365 will end with Office 2019. So yes, talking about Windows being subscription only is not what anyone thus far has said. If it's what they are thinking but not saying, I don't know. I'm not a mind-reader. It's certainly not what the Computer World article was talking about, click bait title notwithstanding.

I don't mind that future. Microsoft offers enough with 365 it makes sense for many people and doesn't for others. I'm quite happy with it over Office. If you're not, buy Office (or use Libre). If Microsoft can offer enough value I'd be fine with Windows Managed Desktop subscription. That would be more complicated though. Most people buy computers rather than build their own so Windows already comes installed.
I'm a SaaS guy. After working on the vendor side and seeing clients struggle with infrastructure, security, app patching, etc. - the vast majority of which we and our partners could do better, made me think why are companies so insistent on doing security, hosting, and everything that is usually way outside their core business competence on-prem.

I changed jobs. I now work for a regional health system. Everyone here is skittish about any SaaS model due to HIPAA and other concerns. We are struggling our way through an ERP replacement, partly due to hardware and security. The vendor could have taken care of all that. They have dedicated, 24x7 staff for hosted clients, either directly or through their partners. We don't. We don't have the technical expertise in all these domains, yet we're intent on keeping everything on-prem and doing it ourselves. We'd rather manage our own security, with a comparatively novice staff, than turn it over to AWS, who will be hosting classified data in the cloud for the government. Granted, it's not the same division or program, but surely there is cross-pollination of security theory.

It just boggles my mind how organizations remain so territorial of their "data," which they do not likely have the expertise to fully secure or manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or