Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 01:02 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
"I wouldn't buy O365" = means I wouldn't pay to 'lease' it. I know you can't buy it. Let's not be so pedantic.

Personally, I don't pay anyone for 'Cloud Service". I have a free Dropbox account with 18GB and a free Box account with 50 GB. Neither of which I use very much.

I am not paying monthly for Word even if it comes with 'free' Cloud space. Nor do I need to as my job does so I have that. But if it didn't, I would use Libre Office or something similar. OR maybe buy 2016.
So you'd switch to Linux on principal if there was a lease option for Windows but would entertain buying Office 2016 when there's a lease option with Office 365? I'm even more confused than ever.

I just don't understand your principals or how you selectively apply them. I just care about the price. Leasing at $70/year isn't great value versus buying at $149. $70/year versus $400 for those that need the full version is more attractive. $100/year for five installs versus $149-400/year is even better value. Although it does depend how willing you are to use unsupported software. Office 2010 still works fine for me. I'd use it rather than buy 2016, but I'd move to 2019 once extended support ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 01:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So you'd switch to Linux on principal if there was a lease option for Windows but would entertain buying Office 2016 when there's a lease option with Office 365? I'm even more confused than ever.

I just don't understand your principals or how you selectively apply them. I just care about the price. Leasing at $70/year isn't great value versus buying at $149. $70/year versus $400 for those that need the full version is more attractive. $100/year for five installs versus $149-400/year is even better value. Although it does depend how willing you are to use unsupported software. Office 2010 still works fine for me. I'd use it rather than buy 2016, but I'd move to 2019 once extended support ends.

That is one damn confusing post.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That is one damn confusing post.
Yeah, I guess if you don't know the price of leasing O365 vs buying Office 2016 it is.

You can lease Office 365 for a single users for $70/yr or for 5 users for $100/year.
You can buy Office 2016 for $149-$400 per user depending on which version of Office 2016 you're talking about.

If you just need one install and don't need Access, which most people don't, Office 365 is poor value versus Office 2016. If you need multiple installs and/or need Access and/or like the things like One Drive that comes with 365, leasing is more attractive. Regardless, you can just buy Office 2016 (or 2019 soon) instead of leasing 365 if you have principals where you'd rather spend more money to buy the software than lease it or it's less expensive for your needs to buy it than lease. That makes perfect sense to me. What doesn't make sense is saying you'd boycott Windows if they offered a lease option while saying you'd buy Office 2016 even though there's a lease option for Office with Office 365.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:04 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Got a new HP desktop with Win. 10 Pro on it. It promptly asked for a credit card number. I finally got the PC to come up but everything on it requires you to sign into Microsoft and pay for anything and everything. No games are free, no Office even though I own a licensed version, it won't accept the license number. Everything costs money on the newer Win 10. It's like going to an arcade where they even charge you to sit down. I've pretty much gutted Win 10 by deleting games and crap I don't and won't use. It was about half of the programming. Then I installed Ubuntu in a side by mode on the hard drive. Once you learn a few basics of Ubuntu, you'll learn to hate Microsoft anything. Ubuntu is so much easier and lighter. And no crap cleaner required, no anti-virus required, no endless updates, nothing. Just everything runs so much smoother on Ubuntu. If you've never tried it, you can download a version of it and run it from a flash drive- no need to install it. You'll lose any info or setting running it from a flash drive but you can get a feel for it. I'm incredibly happy with Ubuntu. And free programming, must be over 10,000 programs to download that do pretty much everything including stuff I have no clue about.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Got a new HP desktop with Win. 10 Pro on it. It promptly asked for a credit card number. I finally got the PC to come up but everything on it requires you to sign into Microsoft and pay for anything and everything. No games are free, no Office even though I own a licensed version, it won't accept the license number. Everything costs money on the newer Win 10. It's like going to an arcade where they even charge you to sit down. I've pretty much gutted Win 10 by deleting games and crap I don't and won't use. It was about half of the programming. Then I installed Ubuntu in a side by mode on the hard drive. Once you learn a few basics of Ubuntu, you'll learn to hate Microsoft anything. Ubuntu is so much easier and lighter. And no crap cleaner required, no anti-virus required, no endless updates, nothing. Just everything runs so much smoother on Ubuntu. If you've never tried it, you can download a version of it and run it from a flash drive- no need to install it. You'll lose any info or setting running it from a flash drive but you can get a feel for it. I'm incredibly happy with Ubuntu. And free programming, must be over 10,000 programs to download that do pretty much everything including stuff I have no clue about.
I've seen this mentioned before. I have Pro and have never been asked for a CC for anything.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, I guess if you don't know the price of leasing O365 vs buying Office 2016 it is.

You can lease Office 365 for a single users for $70/yr or for 5 users for $100/year.
You can buy Office 2016 for $149-$400 per user depending on which version of Office 2016 you're talking about.

If you just need one install and don't need Access, which most people don't, Office 365 is poor value versus Office 2016. If you need multiple installs and/or need Access and/or like the things like One Drive that comes with 365, leasing is more attractive. Regardless, you can just buy Office 2016 (or 2019 soon) instead of leasing 365 if you have principals where you'd rather spend more money to buy the software than lease it or it's less expensive for your needs to buy it than lease. That makes perfect sense to me. What doesn't make sense is saying you'd boycott Windows if they offered a lease option while saying you'd buy Office 2016 even though there's a lease option for Office with Office 365.
So you're saying that $70/year is a better value than $149 for an definite period?

I have to disagree. I'd be ahead at the end of this year when they would be asking me for another $70.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So you're saying that $70/year is a better value than $149 for an definite period?
If you just need one install and don't need Access, which most people don't, Office 365 is poor value versus Office 2016.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:54 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
I would never pay for Office 2016 because:

a) my company gives me the entire Office suite for free (for personal use)
b) you can use Google Docs which does all the same stuff as Office, for free

Old 08-07-2018, 07:34 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Well, first of all we were talking about Windows here... not Office 365. I'm not paying an annual fee to use my computer that I paid $700 for. Do you get that principle? If MS wants to charge me a monthly or annual fee TO USE MY PC: yes, I will switch to Linux.
As to the O365 discussion, there is no use case scenario in my personal or professional life that makes O365 a better buy then either a one time purchase of Word-Excel-PPT or using a FREE alternative, like Libre.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:34 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
^^ Same here. If for personal use I would use a free program like Open Office or Libre Office. I don't use cloud storage much but google drive is free. If it was a business and only for the reason of using outlook I would buy Office. That's what we did at our company. It's either pay 25 a month (for businesses) to rent 365 or buy 2016 Home and Business for about $200 which we did. We only mainly use word, excel and outlook anyway. It also comes with powerpoint.

As for windows itself, I would not pay a monthly or annual fee. That's ridiculous. It's bad enough as it is with all of the spying that Windows 10 does. They are already selling our data. The greed never stops, it only seems to be getting worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers