U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 07:14 PM

2,828 posts, read 1,491,727 times

Advertisements

So sorry if this has been discussed - I didn't see it.

I've had this problem before and someone said when you got Windows 10, the problem would disappear. Well, I've had Windows 10 for a couple of years now, and I've still got the problem.

When I'm typing, maybe on email, maybe on this site, and stop for a minute, next thing I know I'm typing up on the top line or somewhere and have to go and delete that and move the cursor back down. I use a touch pad exclusively and don't really think my thumb is dragging over it - but since other people have that problem (I've complained before to friends) I don't think that's it.

Can anyone relate? Is there a cure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 08:09 PM

5,725 posts, read 6,915,090 times
The problem is due to the way a touchpad works and 'senses' the touch. Weather/environmental conditions can alter the effects of capacitance between your body and the pad- you may not even need to actually touch it for an effect to occur. I have noticed the same thing with my touchpads, there is no 'cure'. It's annoying, but you just have to deal with it.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:53 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,958,568 times
Same problem and also have the web browser just close when I touch the key board or screen.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:26 AM

562 posts, read 336,422 times
Every time I've seen this issue, it's touchpad related. Often it's part of your palm or something rubbing the edge of the touchpad when you don't even realize it.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:28 AM

OK - I guessed as much. Guess I will just have to try to be super careful. I am an "old timer" and have good typing speed, but maybe my thumb hangs around where it shouldn't

Old 08-06-2018, 11:37 AM

1,212 posts, read 836,022 times
You might try adjusting the touchpad sensitivity.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:48 AM

562 posts, read 336,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
OK - I guessed as much. Guess I will just have to try to be super careful. I am an "old timer" and have good typing speed, but maybe my thumb hangs around where it shouldn't
If you want to use laptop-only, then yes, you just need to be careful.

I would recommend using a mouse with the laptop. Then you can actually turn off the touchpad and avoid this situation. Every laptop is different, but they all have the option to turn off the touchpad, and you would not need it if you use a mouse for navigation.

Buy a wireless one - you just plug a little part into one of your USB ports, and it works pretty slick.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:51 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,088,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
If you want to use laptop-only, then yes, you just need to be careful.

I would recommend using a mouse with the laptop. Then you can actually turn off the touchpad and avoid this situation. Every laptop is different, but they all have the option to turn off the touchpad, and you would not need it if you use a mouse for navigation.

Buy a wireless one - you just plug a little part into one of your USB ports, and it works pretty slick.
And if you can't find the option to disable the touchpad you can tape cardboard over the touchpad. A crude solution, but it is a solution.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:52 AM

Yeah, I've actually got one - a wireless one - but I started teaching myself to get proficient on the touchpad when the mouse got a little dickey and should have been replaced but I was too lazy.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
And if you can't find the option to disable the touchpad you can tape cardboard over the touchpad. A crude solution, but it is a solution.
Good idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers