U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 03:59 AM

551 posts, read 587,344 times

Advertisements

How can you fill in circles (bubbles) in PDF the way you could with Microsoft Paint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
You want to draw on a pdf?

Old 08-10-2018, 10:06 AM

551 posts, read 587,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You want to draw on a pdf?
Microsoft Paint has a button with a picture of a paint bucket that allows you to fill in a space with a simple left click. I want to be able to do that same thing on a PDF because sometimes I will get forms that ask questions and circles next to them so that I could pick an answer.

For example:
Did you graduate college? Yes () No ()
Are you at least 18 years old? Yes () No ()

I want to be able to fill in these answers with a simple left click so that I won't have to print them out, fill out my answers with a pen, and rescan the form.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:00 AM

You would have to purchase something. What you want is something that would let you edit or comment on PDF's like Adobe Acrobat or Foxit Reader Pro. I don't know of any free PDF editors that allow this.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:20 AM

295 posts, read 233,195 times
Adobe Reader will let you make very minor changes to PDFs but may not be able to do what you want. You can try creating a text box and enter a "X" in it and move it around within the document.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:14 PM

The basic free Reader program does very little beyond viewing and printing PDF's. No way it provides the functionality OP wants.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:56 PM

5,424 posts, read 8,795,632 times
Current Adobe Reader with the new Fill & Sign function allows a X, a check mark or a dot (of variable font size) to be added & saved to an existing PDF.

To fill a bubble, try dots of various sizes.

From https://helpx.adobe.com/reader/faq.html

"Use the new Fill & Sign tool in your desktop software to complete PDF forms fast"

Old 08-10-2018, 05:25 PM

5,375 posts, read 11,287,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Current Adobe Reader with the new Fill & Sign function allows a X, a check mark or a dot (of variable font size) to be added & saved to an existing PDF.
To fill a bubble, try dots of various sizes.
From https://helpx.adobe.com/reader/faq.html
"Use the new Fill & Sign tool in your desktop software to complete PDF forms fast"
This can only be done with a Form or Document that has been specially created to allow this function.
For any other document, you have to purchase a PDF Editor that allows editing of a PDF formatted document.

I use PDF-Tools which I bought umpteen years ago ...
https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-tools

It looks like you can download a Trial (fully functioning) version from this link:
https://pdf-tools.en.softonic.com/download

Old 08-11-2018, 09:46 AM

2,299 posts, read 3,493,375 times
From your description, it sounds like what you want is a document that one person creates, (lets call them the Author), and another reads and makes choices that are displayed on that form, (lets call them the Answer-Person, or AP). AP then saves the document and sends it to anyone who need to read AP's responses. Typically, that type of document is called a form.

Specifically, the action you are describing is referred to very generically as a 'radio button'. A graphic circle that's hollow until the AP clicks on the circle, and then it's shown as solid (fully shaded).
Another element that's commonly used is a Check Box, a square that is hollow until clicked.
The convention is, that a radio button is used when each question is independent of other questions surrounding it, while the radio button allows only one multiple answers to be selected.

__From your example,
Did you graduate college? Yes () No ()
Are you at least 18 years old? Yes () No ()

__Each line should have a radio button (if you click on one, the other will change to un-clicked).
__If you had a question like:

Mark the languages you consider yourself fluent: : English [_]; Spanish [_]; French[_]; German[_];
Chinese [_]
__and any box can be checked or un-checked.

I know you can create a Form in Word and in Excel, with radio buttons and check boxes, to be saved and marked up by others. You can do the same thing in a PDF file, but only if you have a PDF document editor, like Adobe Acrobat. NOT just a pdf reader program.

If this is what you're trying to do, then see if you have the editing version of Acrobat.
Also and alternately, you could look at using Google Doc's Forms. That puts the form on the cloud where one creates it and others could answer. It's free, and has radio buttons and check boxes as a part of it's capabilities.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:53 AM

2,763 posts, read 2,701,930 times
You could probably do that with one of the Photoshop programs. I still use a version of Photoshop Elements several iterations behind the current one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or