U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 05:49 PM

6 posts, read 1,546 times

Advertisements

Apple II -- (1982) -- I got one for work and drove the IT people crazy because they didn't have "control" of it. It took it home one weekend and showed it to my wife -- she got hooked on "Space Invaders"

It has a monochrome green monitor and hooked up to a 20MB hard drive attached which what the size of a small suitcase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 06:06 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,091,149 times
Thanks but I'll stick with the current batch of computers. Until the ones I have die and then I'll inherit my sons old computer(s).

I lost my 2007 desktop in 2015 when the power supply died. It was a Dell and it was stuffed into a case that requires a weird modular power supply. Decided it wasn't worth bringing back to life. I had been using it as a media server to the TV. Unfortunately my other desktop circa 2010 died of a bad hard drive a couple of weeks later. I actually have it back up (sort of) but I need some cables and I keep losing the list of what I need before I can actually order it so it yet languisheth and gathereth dust flowers while it may. Instead I'm beating a 2010 laptop half to death under constant heavy use. Hopefully next time my son is up here he can monitor me while I check the desktop out and make a list of the cables I need and actually watch me order them this time.

My first computer was an Adam - remember those? Dual tape drive. Monitor was your TV. Had a word processor and a crap ton of games. Basically a Nintendo on steroids.

Second was an 8086 with a 10Mb hard drive and a Hercules monochrome graphics monitor in orange. Loved that thing. The first Hero Quest game supported that monitor. Then an 80286, and after that, an 80486. One of those had a 30Mb hard drive, with the thought that I would NEVER EVER fill that hard drive up, LOL! Today I have 400Gb on my laptop with about 2.5Gb free.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:12 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,233,720 times
Radio Shack TRS 80 (aka trash 80). I was working in finance and went to a 2 week training class to learn to use it. None of the guys wanted to touch it because it was too much like typing. Knowing how to use it got me 2 promotions, more training and a new and profitable career.
Love all the new toys that come out. I can now skype with my family across the country, trade videos and music with old friends and keep my finances in order. No more paying bills by check, easy to see budgeting and electronic record keeping of important documents. Alexa answers questions, tells me the weather and turns off and on lights.

I await the next new development.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:40 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,569,180 times
My first home computer was an IBM PS2 (1988). It had 15 MB of hard drive space, DOS 3.0 (I think), and Windows 2.1. It seemed pretty advanced at the time, because it only used those hard 3.5" disks instead of the larger floppy disks. But I had been learning how to use computers in school for about six years prior.

Ironically, I bought a computer in 1999. I put NetZero on it at the time. In fact, I didn't get rid of the computer until 2012 or so. It outlasted my first laptop.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:47 PM

8,776 posts, read 9,933,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Radio Shack TRS 80 (aka trash 80). I was working in finance and went to a 2 week training class to learn to use it. None of the guys wanted to touch it because it was too much like typing. Knowing how to use it got me 2 promotions, more training and a new and profitable career.
Love all the new toys that come out. I can now skype with my family across the country, trade videos and music with old friends and keep my finances in order. No more paying bills by check, easy to see budgeting and electronic record keeping of important documents. Alexa answers questions, tells me the weather and turns off and on lights.

I await the next new development.

My nephew has Alexa and I guess it'll order a pizza for you too. We were watching TV and a commercial for Dominos pizza came on. The guy yelled, "Alexa order a pizza from Dominos!!". Nephew's Alexa came on and was going to do it! lol

Old 08-25-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
My first computer was a Commodore 64 circa 1982. Followed that one with a Kaypro 2000 in 1985 and an Amstrad in 1989 that I got for graduate school. The Amstrad only had 512 kB of memory and I needed 640 so I soldered a socket on the motherboard myself and added the memory chip for it.

Later, I wanted a HDD and used the Computer Shopper magazine (remember those?) to purchase one from a Tempe AZ company called “Hard Drives International”. It was probably 5gb and cost $250....about twice what I paid for the computer which I got on-sale from Some department store. HDI talked me through the install procress and I was hugely impressed with them. They became Insight, still in Tempe.

I just remembered that my first computer was actually a Commodore 64 that my dad had built and given to me when he bought another one. It was 1988 and I lived in a small mountain town with no internet access, not even dial up. I used it just for games and typing letters. Sold it to my boss for his son and didn't get another one for ten years.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
1999 was still the dial-up modem era for me. No way would I be happy with a computer that slow today.

Dial up...yuck. Glad those days are long behind me!

Old 08-25-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
What was the name of another web browser besides Netscape. I can't remember now.

I remember having to load the floppy disk for word. When the little hard disks came out -wow - stand back!

The other day I was cleaning out the cabinet on my computer desk and found a whole box of floppy disks. I've had them for years, never used most and don't even remember what I bought them for.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:13 PM

4,015 posts, read 2,999,537 times
Quote:
What was the name of another web browser besides Netscape. I can't remember now.

I remember having to load the floppy disk for word. When the little hard disks came out -wow - stand back!
Mosaic.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:16 PM

294 posts, read 164,904 times
Quote:

Netscape Navigator was the first WYSIWYG type browser (What You See Is What You Get). Just prior to that there was a popular text-based browser called Lynx. Not sure which other one you are talking about.

I too started life out in the TRS-80, Texas Instruments TI-99, Commodore-64 era before graduating to a DOS based 10MB harddrive IBM clone from Leading Edge. Their proprietary word processor was called LEWP (Leading Edge Word Processor). Not a lot of points for creativity.

I used to use the 300baud Modem (MODulator - DEModulator) type cradle where you actually put the phone into the cradle to try to make a connection. It took forever and was very slow. Then the big 9600 modems followed by the 14,400 and the 28,800 - all dial-ups. That's when you visited BBS sites (bulletin boards) instead of actual web sites.

Remember Earthlink/Concentric as one of the first internet services. There was also American OnLine (AOL) and the never ending spam of junk mail containing their membership disks or CDs to sign up. I think they came in the mail and every PC Magazine edition for years. Now they probably fill 50% of some dumpster somewhere.

Great walk down memory lane, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or