U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 10:01 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 776,444 times

Advertisements

I've been doing pretty good. I have not had any in months, but I got one this morning.

Can't say how many attacks I got in 2018, but in one week I had 2 of them. I estimate 5 to 7 ransomware attacks so far. (and I try to be careful!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 06:52 PM

2,992 posts, read 1,039,035 times
I haven't ever gotten any, but I have had several fake ransomware attacks.
(Popups that claim to be ransomware, but are basically fishing.)

Old 08-27-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I haven't ever gotten any, but I have had several fake ransomware attacks.
(Popups that claim to be ransomware, but are basically fishing.)
Maybe that is what I get. I shut down the computer and don't click on them. One time I searched for something on Google. Clicked on top result and boom. The computer starts talking to you and tells you your infected.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:22 AM

2,992 posts, read 1,039,035 times
Most of the time mine will tell me Do Not Close This Window that my files are encrypted and to contact a certain web site to get them unlocked. Sometimes the name in the window will be a fake antivirus site, or even a fake Micro$oft site.

Doesn't matter. I shut down my browser, reopen it and continue. If it weren't fake, I would have lost all of my data (temporarily). I was hit by a real virus many years ago, and lost everything on my HD. I had good backups back then, so it only cost me a couple hours to rebuild everything (reinstall all new software) from backups. Today it would take me a couple days to do the same thing, so it would be a real PITA, but so far it hasn't been real.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:37 AM

40,296 posts, read 41,850,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Maybe that is what I get. I shut down the computer and don't click on them. One time I searched for something on Google. Clicked on top result and boom. The computer starts talking to you and tells you your infected.

These are just web pages, AFAIK real ransomware which is something you can't just ignore does not use web browser to let you know about the malware infection. Google will usually not list web pages that will do this however the web page usually has low quality ad network which is where it is coming from. They could be very legitimate sites.

You can try navigating away from the page or closing the tab but they will try and make it difficult. A dialog box is usually going to pop up with another warning when you try to close it, hit cancel and another one pops up which will prevent you from being able to close it. Your browser may have option on second dialog for "Do not allow this web site to open any more dialog boxes". Check it and then you should be able to close the tab.

If that fails hold ctrl, alt and delete in that order, this will open a Windows dialog box and on the bottom of the list click task manager. Make sureTask manager is on the process tab, right click the browser and then select end task. If there is more than one instance and they all do not close after closing the first one repeat.

Open your browser and you will be back to normal.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:50 AM

I used a site that would take audio off YouTube. A popup would come up saying one of your programs was out of date and to click to update. I clicked on it and got the ransomware notice.

The audio ripping program worked pretty good, but every time I used it the ransomware popup would come up if you clicked the wrong thing. Sad people want to wreck your life like this. I've tried to X out of the notice, but just get beeps and it sticks on the screen. I just hold down the 'off' button until the computer shuts down. Fingers crossed, it has fixed it so far. Will try the ctrl-alt-delete. No matter how careful they hit you.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:31 AM

4,607 posts, read 8,207,121 times
Quote:
I used a site that would take audio off YouTube. A popup would come up saying one of your programs was out of date and to click to update. I clicked on it and got the ransomware notice.

The audio ripping program worked pretty good, but every time I used it the ransomware popup would come up if you clicked the wrong thing. Sad people want to wreck your life like this. I've tried to X out of the notice, but just get beeps and it sticks on the screen. I just hold down the 'off' button until the computer shuts down. Fingers crossed, it has fixed it so far. Will try the ctrl-alt-delete. No matter how careful they hit you.
The good news here is that you likely have not had a ransomeware attack. The bad news here is that you are fairly exposed to malware based on the little bit of info provided.

If you've been victimized by ransomeware, you'd know it. All of the files on your computer would be encrypted and you don't simply just reboot or shut down your browser to get rid of it. In fact, removing the ransomeware after it's encrypted your files may prevent you from actually decrypting it (assuming that's a route you were considering).

What you're seeing are actually fake ransomeware "ads". Most likely caused by adware or just actual popups on infected sites. This is why you try to avoid these free tools (or use them from a computer that you are not concerned with it being damaged - like a bootable USB or VM that you can easily recover from).

Old 08-28-2018, 09:09 AM

40,296 posts, read 41,850,213 times
Quote:
The audio ripping program worked pretty good, but every time I used it the ransomware popup would come up if you clicked the wrong thing.

You are using a standalone application for ripping audio and getting these ransomware notices?

Uninstall the application and run Malwarebytes.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

1. Do not randomly install any software. Carefully research it. There is a ton of free applications that are really good however there is a lot of crap loaded with malware.

2. Do not rely on outdated information, if you find a forum post for example from many years ago saying this is best thing since sliced bread do not trust it. Research for current information, some old applications that may have been great at one time go "rogue" and will be loaded with crap.

3. Make sure you are downloading it from source. e.g. find the software's home page and use the download link from there.

4. Be careful of "Download now" links on pages, these are often ads and will direct you to something else often loaded with malware.

5. Don't fly through the install dialog boxes clicking OK, there may be a check box already checked to install additional unwanted software.

As far as audio goes if you are looking for nice lightweight player that rips audio try Foobar2000.

https://www.foobar2000.org/

Old 09-05-2018, 10:06 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,849,507 times
Get an addblock add-on for whatever browser you are using. Also, get a free temp/junk file cleaner like CCleaner or Fcleaner and set it to clean all the temp files and browser cache during each start of the computer.

At a minimum, when you open the browser for the first time, delete all your browser cache and cookies by holding down CTRL+SHIFT and pressing DEL

Old 09-06-2018, 08:57 PM

11,301 posts, read 12,832,197 times
Never got one. I did change my password from 1234 to 12345 to be on the safe side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or