U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 03:18 PM

1,199 posts, read 549,268 times

Advertisements

Now, they are sending me a code through my telephone number, but I have not entered it yet.

They have given me four days to reset my password for my email, what will happen if I do not. Will they shut off my computer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 11:10 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Is this thing on? You guys can see my posts, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Microsoft will never ask you to change any password. Ever.
If it is the 'Shared Experiences' thing that also will not ever ask you to CHANGE your password. It may ask you to UPDATE your password... is that where you are getting this? It will do this if you previously entered your Yahoo password and subsequently changed it. Now it's out of synch. Then they will ask you to UPDATE it because they've detected that you changed it. Get me? If you aren't using Shared Experiences (which lets you share stuff easier between 2 computers that you own), turn it off.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/share...ces-windows-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why would Microsoft care what your Yahoo password was?
So you can use Windows Mail with Yahoo. So you can use the PEOPLE app in Windows 10. As a base account so you can use SHARED EXPERIENCES which allow you to, for example open up Internet Sites on your laptop that you have opened on your desktop because you use the same YAHOO account on both.

https://www.howtogeek.com/303300/wha...on-windows-10/

Quote:
Sounds like someone is phishing for your password. Did you have to put in your previous password during the change?
Not to me, it doesn't. Sounds like her passwords are out of synch and she sent a password request somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasie123
Now, they are sending me a code through my telephone number, but I have not entered it yet.

They have given me four days to reset my password for my email, what will happen if I do not. Will they shut off my computer?
What? No!
You must have setup 2 factor authentication and Yahoo is checking to see if you started a password reset request.
The fact that Microsoft (technically WINDOWS not Microsoft...) is now asking "if you changed your password, please update it" leads me to believe you changed your Yahoo password, or tried to.
Let's back this up.
Do you know your Yahoo password? If you go on Yahoo, can you login?
Do you, or have you previously, used the Mail program in Windows to check your Yahoo mail?
Go to SETTINGS in Windows. Click ACCOUNTS.
Is your Yahoo account listed there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or