Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 01:25 PM

130 posts, read 81,286 times

Advertisements

On August 17 I found an email in the Inbox of one of my web-based email accounts that was not sent to that account's domain. This is the first time this has happened as far as I know. Can you please tell me what this means? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 05:41 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Without more information, there isn't much that we can tell you. We can't see your machine, and we can't read your mind. Despite what many people want to believe, 'remote viewing' and 'mental telepathy' do not exist.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:31 AM

50,798 posts, read 24,297,543 times
It happened to me about a month ago, also.

I had bought a 23andme kit and wondered why I hadn't heard anything after the purchase. Ten days went by and finally I looked at an email account I rarely use (different provider), and there was the "receipt". There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that when I purchased the kit online, IT found what it thought was my email address. And no, I didn't goof.

After all, if I look at a certain product online, I suddenly find ads for that product on both email accounts.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:11 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,297,543 times
It just happened to me again. I was entering data for a survey from a company I shop with, and when it asked for my email address, out of the blue it entered an email address I no longer use.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:18 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
^^I assume this is from a browser? I think what you are seeing are cookies. It "remembers" previous entries and brings them up automatically to help you. Just override what it comes up with what you want. Look into how to clear cookies to stop this from happening.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:22 PM

130 posts, read 81,286 times
Default Emails are appearing in wrong account

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It happened to me about a month ago, also. I had bought a 23andme kit and wondered why I hadn't heard anything after the purchase. Ten days went by and finally I looked at an email account I rarely use (different provider), and there was the "receipt". There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that when I purchased the kit online, IT found what it thought was my email address. And no, I didn't goof.
Thank you. Sorry but I didn't get notified of your reply (no surprise!!) but the email provider that received the email is looking into it. So far they have ruled out auto-forwarding and BCC so I am waiting for a possible answer.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:37 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
^^I assume this is from a browser? I think what you are seeing are cookies. It "remembers" previous entries and brings them up automatically to help you. Just override what it comes up with what you want. Look into how to clear cookies to stop this from happening.
There's sort of your answer. It is Auto Complete, not cookies. You need to clear your auto complete entries (this would be the fastest way).
Tell us what browser you are using and we can help with that.

It is not an issue with your email provider.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:12 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
There's sort of your answer. It is Auto Complete, not cookies. You need to clear your auto complete entries (this would be the fastest way).
Tell us what browser you are using and we can help with that.

It is not an issue with your email provider.
Form data is commonly stored in cookies. Browsers also store usernames and passwords but form data such as an email address is stored in cookies. Cookies have many other functions besides this. I wonder who came up with the name though, why cookies?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie

Old 08-24-2018, 02:17 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
While that is true, a cookie stores this information specific to a certain website so you don't always have to login to that site.
This sounds like Form Data because it's auto filling in the wrong information on apparently many sites.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
A cookie can store anything and could be used to populate a form but it can only be accessed by the domain that set it. That said content embedded by third party across multiple sites would be able to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers