U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 09:04 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,681,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I was never aware they would activate a tuner card like that. I'd presume any recording capabilities are going to be severely limited because that would allow you to copy it pretty easily.
You can actually do pretty much everything that a set top DVR can, if you have software / hardware that's capable of using the cable card.

The cable card is part of the encryption scheme, and the recordings are still encrypted. This is part of what makes solid DVR software hard to come by, as there are a bunch of playback licenses that have to be acquired, and certification that's needed in order to be able to record / store / playback.

Even for broadcast TV, Windows Media Center stored it's files in an encrypted / proprietary container. Since I didn't use WMC for the whole house, I'd have to run a couple of apps to strip the DRM and commercials, and convert them to a format that my Plex server could use (for watching in my office or the bedroom). I'm not sure that the Cable Card versions of those recordings can be broken that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 11:06 AM

4,263 posts, read 8,017,770 times
Shows I record with WMC have the extension wtv and can play using any the popular media player such VLC and MPC-HC. No special software are needed. Now wtv files won't play in most TVs directly because it's not supported for some reason.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:10 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,681,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Shows I record with WMC have the extension wtv and can play using any the popular media player such VLC and MPC-HC. No special software are needed. Now wtv files won't play in most TVs directly because it's not supported for some reason.

That's great.

At one point VLC could play them on any machine with WMC installed, but couldn't play them on other devices due to codec issues. It also couldn't play anything marked as "copy once" (cable card protected), due to encryption.

But I haven't used WMC in almost 4 years, as we stopped using / recording OTA and moved entirely to streaming.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:47 AM

326 posts, read 198,314 times
IMHO sports is the biggest thing keeping cable alive. Before we moved to these apartments that include cable in the rent I only paid for it during NCAAF season. I realized how long it had been since I had watched a commercial last night during the VT @ FL State game.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:13 PM

10,169 posts, read 10,493,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
That's pretty cool.

The nice thing about the SD devices is that if you need more tuners than a single device can provide, you can always add a second device to the network. Of course you'd need a second cable card, and two boxes would probably be more expensive than a single 6 tuner one would.
I would hate to buy a 3 tuner device and have a 6 tuner come out two weeks later. You might be able to pick up a 3 tuner for an excellent price as they clear out their stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygeek View Post
IMHO sports is the biggest thing keeping cable alive.
Sports and old people. Old people need TV with commercials, newspapers, a flip phone to back up your landline. and they must write checks because people will steal your information from the internet.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 09-08-2018 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,903 posts, read 33,642,455 times
You're very much at the mercy of Spectrum with cable card technology. I had a cable card for a few months and I never could get it to work with my SiliconDust box. Asking in general forums seems like a worse idea than working closely with Spectrum support for a solution.

Instead, try the AVS Forum, which is the online place where home AV geeks hang out.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:14 PM

326 posts, read 198,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
You're very much at the mercy of Spectrum with cable card technology. I had a cable card for a few months and I never could get it to work with my SiliconDust box. Asking in general forums seems like a worse idea than working closely with Spectrum support for a solution.

Instead, try the AVS Forum, which is the online place where home AV geeks hang out.
I'll check them out!

One of the many things that can go wrong my current setup; for Spectrum to work at all they require a Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter in the cable line. The cable comes from the wall jack -> Cisco device -> Ceton InfiTV4 in the desktop. Of course the Ceton also has a Cisco CableCARD inserted in a slot in it and that CableCARD is activated with Spectrum. It's important to get 'the guy' on the line at Spectrum at activation time, otherwise nothing works.

There was a few times last football season I had to manually restart the Cisco STA1520 by unplugging and replugging it's power cable. I also have to go in services.msc on Win7 every so often and restart the 2 services associated with Ceton whenever Windows Media Center has issues picking up channels.

There are a lot of variables, any one of which will stop the whole show. Netflix/Amazon/etc are so much easier. Eventually I'll just get tired of doing all this simply to watch college football with the ability to pause and watch replays at will.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:49 PM

10,169 posts, read 10,493,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I would hate to buy a 3 tuner device and have a 6 tuner come out two weeks later. You might be able to pick up a 3 tuner for an excellent price as they clear out their stock.
The 6 tuner device is now listed as "coming soon" on the website.
https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime-6/

Bargain hunters not interested in 6 tuners should be able to get the 3 tuner devices for a good price very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers