U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 02:20 AM

25,412 posts, read 11,269,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'd say you went to a fake FB site and walked right into a hornets nest of scammers.

Why did you not just go to the Malwarebytes site?
Well, I think this is what happened. But a lot of companies do now have a presence on Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 02:50 AM

25,412 posts, read 11,269,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'd say you went to a fake FB site and walked right into a hornets nest of scammers.

Why did you not just go to the Malwarebytes site?
Well, I think this is what happened. But a lot of companies do now have a presence on Facebook.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:33 AM

4,740 posts, read 8,938,189 times
I was getting annoyed by malware pop ups that 'froze' my browser, so I downloaded the Malware Bytes two week free trial. It seemed to work, so I bought two years worth (it's about $40 / year or $70 for two years).

I read that they have an Android version, which I may buy (at the Google store) to get rid of some annoying malware on my phone.

I use McAfee anti-virus and haven't had any problems.

I don't use Facebook; I went to the Malwarebytes site.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Old 09-05-2018, 09:33 AM

40,296 posts, read 41,850,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I had it installed along with my antivirus for about five years. I never had an alert or notification from malware bytes so I finally uninstalled it as i don't know that it was doing anything. I had received notifications from my antivirus over the same time period.

Malwarebytes is a bit different than a virus scanner, a virus scanner is scanning for things that necessarily have malicious intent. There is grey area where something may be installed that *may* be useful to the user but generally speaking is just junk. Browser toolbars and other extensions are pretty common thing to fall into this category. These are not categorized as virus and virus scanners will overlook them. They may be installed with other software or the user missed a checkbox. This is the primary thing Malwarebytes targets.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
I was getting annoyed by malware pop ups that 'froze' my browser, so I downloaded the Malware Bytes two week free trial. It seemed to work, so I bought two years worth (it's about $40 / year or $70 for two years).

Just a heads up but the free version is just as effective at identifying and removing malware as the paid version, the big difference is it needs to be manually started and there is no real time protection.

One thing to keep in mind is the things Malwarebytes is targeting typically require user initiation, e.g. you download a program and the malware is installed along with the program -or- you install browser extension that is just bad. As long as you are careful about what you install it's typically non issue and you can run Malwarebytes if an issue occurs.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:59 AM

3,989 posts, read 2,627,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Malwarebytes is a bit different than a virus scanner, a virus scanner is scanning for things that necessarily have malicious intent. There is grey area where something may be installed that *may* be useful to the user but generally speaking is just junk. Browser toolbars and other extensions are pretty common thing to fall into this category. These are not categorized as virus and virus scanners will overlook them. They may be installed with other software or the user missed a checkbox. This is the primary thing Malwarebytes targets.
False, MB will detect all types of "malware", hence the name. They do also sell a "real time" version of their software which should protect against all kinds of malware including viruses which I see you mentioned above. The real time version would be the one that protects you within a browser. The free version automatically includes a 2 week trial of the real time version which you have to disable if you don't want it or are already running another AV program. Malware is a blanket term.

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat/malware/

Old 09-05-2018, 10:08 AM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
False, MB will detect all types of "malware", hence the name. They do also sell a "real time" version of their software which should protect against all kinds of malware including viruses which I see you mentioned above. The real time version would be the one that protects you within a browser. The free version automatically includes a 2 week trial of the real time version which you have to disable if you don't want it or are already running another AV program. Malware is a blanket term.

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat/malware/
But I would not remove your AV protection. Use them together.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
False, MB will detect all types of "malware", hence the name. They do also sell a "real time" version of their software which should protect against all kinds of malware including viruses which I see you mentioned above.

False in what way? There is distinct difference between a virus and malware. A virus scanner is typically not going to hit on Malware. What is malware? You have an extension that has a component injecting links into page content. If used in non malicious fashion this is something that could actually be useful, however it's typically used to inject links to spammy sites. Therefore we have grey area where something that could be useful isn't because of the way it's implemented.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:22 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
The line is very blurry though, Coalman. Mcaffee sells a total protection package that does viruses, malware and ransomware and keep you from sketchy pages. For $50. Same cost the 'virus scanner' only was just a few years ago.
MalwareBytes does Malware, ransomeware, and other things you might get from webpages. It doesn't have an email scanner though, which is really the only major difference.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The line is very blurry though, Coalman

I know that but I'm trying explain to the poster I was replying to why his virus scanner was picking up things that MB wasn't and why MB may pick up things the virus scanner won't. In some cases things classified as Malware can even be uninstalled through the control panel or the browser extension panel. You can't uninstall a virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or