U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 11:05 AM

3,972 posts, read 2,614,010 times

Advertisements

A virus is malware. As I stated, malware is a blanket term.

It's from two words (mal)icious and soft(ware). A virus is technically software and it can definitely cause harm. As for running both MB and another AV it is generally possible. You will probably want to whitelist each app. MB real time will not scan emails themselves as Peregrine stated but I would assume would protect you as soon as you open an attachment click on a link or whatever. I wouldn't want to take the chance. I have always used MB on-demand, not RT.

Malware vs Viruses: What’s the Difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 02:35 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Generally speaking, absolutely agree.
But back in the 'day' when Malware Bytes was an indy company run by a couple of dudes, it's specialty was specifically looking for things like browser hijacks and other evil things that mostly targeted your browsing experience. Not viruses running on the PC itself already. I think you can blame those dudes for all the confusion. LOL

Old 09-05-2018, 03:22 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,934,002 times
Yeah, the malware didn't get stopped by the my existing virus software, so I felt that I needed an additional virus / malware product, which seems to work.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:12 PM

2,362 posts, read 3,180,367 times
Hey all. I'm about to download & pay for malwarebytes.

If you download & pay for it but end up reinstalling your Windows. Can you re-download it again without problem? So long as you have a correct login set up?

Been having a lot of issues lately. FB got hacked. Now I have my internet/email host saying there is suspcious activity going on. My friend recommend I reinstall windows but wanted to also download malwarebytes too.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:55 AM

20,531 posts, read 20,516,247 times
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you get a license number when you purchase so if putting it back on the same machine you just have to use it

Old 12-27-2018, 07:31 AM

850 posts, read 296,491 times
Quote:

I use McAfee anti-virus and haven't had any problems.
Historically, they have been rated one of the worst anti virus software programs in computer magazine reviews.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:32 AM

850 posts, read 296,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you get a license number when you purchase so if putting it back on the same machine you just have to use it
Yes, you must re-enter the license number and you are good to go. I have done this before

Old 12-27-2018, 09:35 AM

2,362 posts, read 3,180,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Yes, you must re-enter the license number and you are good to go. I have done this before

Thanks to you both! I realized this after I purchased it. Looks like the activation code is what seperates the trial version from premium.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:08 AM

54 posts, read 33,586 times
Sorry to hear about it. I am also afraid of phishing or random attacks of Malware Bytes. I even didn't have enough faith in it. But when I heard about wanna-cry ransomware may be a year ago or so. From that time I am cautious about malware bytes. Anyways, there have some good websites which will help you to check out malware bytes easily. But if you need some kind of tech help about Windows 10 you can try this blog https://windowsmaximizer.com/blog/no-sound-windows-10/ I usually follow this in order to solve any windows issue.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:19 AM

8,380 posts, read 7,575,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A lot of you recommended Malware Bytes, so I installed it on my desktop computer...the paid-for version.

It seems that it's been working well. So I decided to now install it on my laptop. I wondered if I already had a license that covered multiple devices. So I went to the MalwareBytes site on Facebook...which I guess is a scam...since whenever I clicked on one its links, MalwareBytes popped up saying the MalwareBytes link was a fraudulent website.

Then, this morning, I got seven phone calls in seven minutes, supposedly from MalwareBytes from a "private number", none of which I answered.

Now I'm afraid to go to any MalwareBytes site.

Comments?
You clicked on a fraudulent ad or link on their facebook page, and you were warned by Malwarebytes. That can happen with any facebook page. You should've closed the browser, scanned it for malware, and cleaned the PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or