U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 02:18 PM

25,327 posts, read 11,239,460 times

Advertisements

A lot of you recommended Malware Bytes, so I installed it on my desktop computer...the paid-for version.

It seems that it's been working well. So I decided to now install it on my laptop. I wondered if I already had a license that covered multiple devices. So I went to the MalwareBytes site on Facebook...which I guess is a scam...since whenever I clicked on one its links, MalwareBytes popped up saying the MalwareBytes link was a fraudulent website.

Then, this morning, I got seven phone calls in seven minutes, supposedly from MalwareBytes from a "private number", none of which I answered.

Now I'm afraid to go to any MalwareBytes site.

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 02:31 PM

3,971 posts, read 2,614,010 times
MB is not a scam. You may already be infected which is what it sounds like.

Did you actually buy the software or did it install a "trial".

Old 09-04-2018, 03:01 PM

25,327 posts, read 11,239,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
MB is not a scam. You may already be infected which is what it sounds like.

Did you actually buy the software or did it install a "trial".
No, I actually bought the software.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:30 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,881,337 times
I had it installed along with my antivirus for about five years. I never had an alert or notification from malware bytes so I finally uninstalled it as i don't know that it was doing anything. I had received notifications from my antivirus over the same time period.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:12 PM

5,416 posts, read 8,781,614 times
Malwarebytes is not a scam.

On my Windows PC it has found various "malwares" once in a while. On my Mac it has not found anything yet (Both are "free" version, scanned as needed.) But then I try to stay away from "sketchy" websites, and certainly would not use Facebook or Twitter as a portal to anything.

Have you tried MBs own direct URL ? https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Old 09-04-2018, 05:54 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,958,568 times
I have had no problems with the free version. I would call them and they can probably help you get rid of the bad software.

I assume you have run your anti virous software already.

Clearing your browser history might help.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:02 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A lot of you recommended Malware Bytes, so I installed it on my desktop computer...the paid-for version.

It seems that it's been working well. So I decided to now install it on my laptop. I wondered if I already had a license that covered multiple devices. So I went to the MalwareBytes site on Facebook...which I guess is a scam...since whenever I clicked on one its links, MalwareBytes popped up saying the MalwareBytes link was a fraudulent website.

Then, this morning, I got seven phone calls in seven minutes, supposedly from MalwareBytes from a "private number", none of which I answered.

Now I'm afraid to go to any MalwareBytes site.

Comments?

I'd say you went to a fake FB site and walked right into a hornets nest of scammers.

Why did you not just go to the Malwarebytes site?

Old 09-04-2018, 08:04 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I had it installed along with my antivirus for about five years. I never had an alert or notification from malware bytes so I finally uninstalled it as i don't know that it was doing anything. I had received notifications from my antivirus over the same time period.
So you're saying that since it doesn't tell you it's doing something you assume it's not.

Siphon the gas out of your car. Let us know how that works.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:29 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,354,523 times
I've used the free MB version for many years without a problem. I think it works well.

I'm guessing you downloaded it from a scammy site. You have to be careful to pick the real site when downloading such things.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:58 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,881,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So you're saying that since it doesn't tell you it's doing something you assume it's not.

Siphon the gas out of your car. Let us know how that works.
If you siphon the gas out of your car your car will tell you by not running. Malware Bytes is supposed to indicate when it has blocked something. It also has a log of what it has protected you from. It blocked nothing in the five years I used it and there was nothing in the log.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or