U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 04:22 PM

14,525 posts, read 15,755,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I'm so glad I have Apple computers. Don't have to put up with any of that BS.
Apples are becoming increasingly popular and the hacking goes according to market share. You are only safe compared to MSFT but you are not safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 06:09 PM

1,293 posts, read 452,537 times
I only use Linux and I get these scam callers at least once every six months or so. For some reason they're always on the other line whose number I don't give out, and I don't know why their autodialler more aggressively targets that one instead of my main line, which is in the same CO and exchange. Anyways, I like to waste their time and play along, winging it. I got one once a couple months ago when I had a lunch guest over and she was in stitches. It got to the point of giving them a credit card number, so I gave them an expired American Express gift card with a zero balance. Strangely, he didn't cuss me out in Hindi-Arab-Iraqistani or whatever like they usually do when it didn't work and I outed him.

Someday I really should set up an honeypot on a junk PC with a sacrificial install of NT 6.2 and let them go to town "in the name of science". It might be interesting to see what, exactly, they do.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:06 PM

14,525 posts, read 15,755,350 times
There's a honeypot "open source" project (you can Google) where people donate extra computing to put up spammer magnets that lead spambots on endless and ever expanding links, just to waste their time.

Come to think of it, I have some domains that I don't use and intend to let expire. I could point them all at one of my server directories with the honeypot software. I kind of like that idea.

I have only one real website (well and a very small forum) and in my real website (about cooking) I've got "sentinels" (fake links) which are clearly marked in my robots.txt file: do not index. I designed an automated process that auto-bans any Internet vacuum cleaner (who is sucking up my content) if they hit a link that is clearly prohibited in my robots.txt file. Bad behaved robots go to my roach motel and they never check out.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:08 AM

576 posts, read 300,400 times
I recently ran across some videos on YouTube that document these tech support scammers.

Now I understand how my elderly friend was scammed twice in the last year or two.

First she fell for the tech support contract scam where you get a fake pop up telling your system is corrupted etc.

Then about a year later she fell for the fake refund scam. The fake refund scam is especially devious because the refund scam allows them to up the ante into thousands of dollars. The fake tech support contract scam only works if the cost is less than buying a new laptop, so that limits the scam to probably under $1000. The fake refund scam lets them bump this up to close to $10,000.

Here are two YouTube posters who have documented how the scam works. Both posters infiltrated the scammers machines with their own clandestine remote access software, and monitored and recorded how the scam works from scammers side.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3F...6FbYGWA/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBN...3ic84vw/videos

Old 11-01-2018, 10:20 AM

52,161 posts, read 30,225,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
So this guy calls me, out of the blue. Claims he's from Microsoft, says I'm getting a $150 refund for something I allegedly purchased some time back. Red flag #1 (I don't remember buying anything from Microsoft, outside of a $1200 laptop!) Goes on to say that I needed to turn on my computer, let him have remote access to "repair" some issues on my computer - Red Flag #2!
So I know an actual Microsoft guy. I mean someone who really works for Microsoft. I'll call him "Brian" (not his real name), so I put this guy on hold, call Brian and try to establish a three -way. I tell Brian what's going on, inform him that I have the guy on the other line. "Let me speak with him," he says.
I open the first line, make sure the caller is still there, "Hi, this is Brian, tech manager with Microsoft, and who may I be speaking with?" CLICK! The line went dead.

Anyone else ever gotten such a call?
I've gotten a similar call in August or September from an automated phone system that warned me of a virus on my computer or something to that effect, I hung up and blocked the number. I'd ignore such calls, they're not legit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers