U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 01:27 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,281,888 times

Advertisements

So this guy calls me, out of the blue. Claims he's from Microsoft, says I'm getting a $150 refund for something I allegedly purchased some time back. Red flag #1 (I don't remember buying anything from Microsoft, outside of a $1200 laptop!) Goes on to say that I needed to turn on my computer, let him have remote access to "repair" some issues on my computer - Red Flag #2!
So I know an actual Microsoft guy. I mean someone who really works for Microsoft. I'll call him "Brian" (not his real name), so I put this guy on hold, call Brian and try to establish a three -way. I tell Brian what's going on, inform him that I have the guy on the other line. "Let me speak with him," he says.
I open the first line, make sure the caller is still there, "Hi, this is Brian, tech manager with Microsoft, and who may I be speaking with?" CLICK! The line went dead.

Anyone else ever gotten such a call?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 01:36 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Co-worker got one at the office. She calls me and asks if I want to speak to him *I am the IT Manager*.
Please do, I reply.
"Hello. We have detected a problem with your computer!"
Um... but he called Cindy, not me. OK, let's play.
"Ono... what do I do?"
He walks me through getting to the Event Viewer.
"Do you see a lot of errors?"
"Wow, I really do!"
"Ok. Let me connect to your PC and I can fix that..."
"Well.. hang on... sir... most of these are just Time Synch errors. It just shows my PC can't synch it's time with the MS servers... really not a big deal because it synchs with my server. I can suppress these errors..."
Had him going for 15 minutes.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:48 PM

4,618 posts, read 1,341,708 times
I'm so glad I have Apple computers. Don't have to put up with any of that BS.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:55 PM

1,652 posts, read 1,541,370 times
This is a common scam. Just hang up. Microsoft isn't going to call you about anything.

And not owning any Microsoft products is no protection. The scammers don't know what you have. They're just fishing for anyone who will fall for their scam and give them their personal information or allow them access to their computer so they can install a virus and/or steal personal information.

Just. Hang. Up.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:18 PM

8,686 posts, read 9,464,801 times
Got a couple of those scam calls. Oh BTW the IRS has issued an arrest warrant for me (4 times) and if I don’t call a certain number, the cops will haul me off to jail.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:24 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,281,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Got a couple of those scam calls. Oh BTW the IRS has issued an arrest warrant for me (4 times) and if I don’t call a certain number, the cops will haul me off to jail.
You kidding? I heard about this latest one. Some guy claiming to be from the IRS called a guy and said just that - and they called the wrong one: their intended target was a police officer!

As for the former, I just tell them to write me a letter - and then I hang up.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:36 PM

4,607 posts, read 8,207,121 times
Based on the messages I get, I'm evidently a real rebel...

Tech support is after me about malware on my computer.
The "local cops" are after me because I have 4 SERIOUS allegations against me
The Chinese embassy needs me to call them back about a package (this message is actually in Mandarin)
The IRS is after me because of unpaid taxes
Oh - and I can be helped out by someone every day who is willing to take my timeshare off my hands

Old 09-13-2018, 06:46 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,849,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Based on the messages I get, I'm evidently a real rebel...

Tech support is after me about malware on my computer.
The "local cops" are after me because I have 4 SERIOUS allegations against me
The Chinese embassy needs me to call them back about a package (this message is actually in Mandarin)
The IRS is after me because of unpaid taxes
Oh - and I can be helped out by someone every day who is willing to take my timeshare off my hands
You haven't been contacted yet by a Nigerian Prince/President who needed your help with a bank transaction?

Shame!

Old 09-13-2018, 06:53 PM

3,906 posts, read 9,584,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I'm so glad I have Apple computers. Don't have to put up with any of that BS.
I have a Mac and got a weird error message when visiting a website. It locked up my computer and told me to call an 800 number to get it unlocked. I immediate disconnected from WiFi then rebooted and cleared the history and it was fine. Unfortunately my sister also got the same message and called and gave them her CC number to “fix”it. Mac's aren’t completely immune to these scams - one has to be diligent and know a scam when you see it.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:00 PM

39,967 posts, read 57,815,785 times
Did this guy ask you for your bank account or offered to send you a check?
Ah... It was remote access he wanted! Lol
What did you do? Happily said: yes?
I would just end the conversation. Actually I wouldn't pick up the phone in the first place. There was no need to call Brian.
It was a classic scam!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers