U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2018, 08:05 PM

10,423 posts, read 10,205,351 times

Advertisements

Win 10 will not extract rar's and 7z's, so I'm looking for a simple utility to do this -- is 7-Zip still a good choice for a simple and free little utility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 08:33 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Win 10 will not extract rar's and 7z's, so I'm looking for a simple utility to do this -- is 7-Zip still a good choice for a simple and free little utility?
IMO, it's the best for general purpose extraction, and the only one I've really needed for years now.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:03 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
7-zip is all I have used for years now too. Never use RAR's so no idea.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:42 AM

14,514 posts, read 16,536,277 times
7-Zip/Winrar.

7-Zip handles most rar files fine but it can't create rars, hence Winrar. Winrar is nagware, so free but with an annoying popup that tells you to buy it.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:04 AM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
"Nagware" and "annoying"

Heck, still nice from them that they at least let you still use it, even after you "try to ignore" their message.
Take the bad with the good, and go on with life!

I do not quite understand why the OP uses the word "Gap" in the title of this message?
What does GAP stand for?

Old 09-16-2018, 12:19 PM

10,423 posts, read 10,205,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
"Nagware" and "annoying"

Heck, still nice from them that they at least let you still use it, even after you "try to ignore" their message.
Take the bad with the good, and go on with life!

I do not quite understand why the OP uses the word "Gap" in the title of this message?
What does GAP stand for?
I meant that I just need something to do what Win 10 cannot. Win 10 opens zips just fine for me, but not rars or 7z's.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:16 PM

245 posts, read 134,271 times
Another vote for 7zip. Plus it’s easily scriptable for automating many annoying or routine tasks.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:49 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I meant that I just need something to do what Win 10 cannot. Win 10 opens zips just fine for me, but not rars or 7z's.
What does the file-name look like when you say that win10 can open a zip file?
I think the programme that can compress a file in Win10 is called Winzip?

I do know that Winzip does not come with Win 10!
It cost 30 bucks to add it to Win 10!
You can use it for free as a trial version.
However, the description of WinZip does mention that it can "Unzip all major file formats"
You may have to adjust in the "settings" which file format WinZip can open?

WinRar makes a file named fn.rar where "fn" means file-name.
Also a paid-for programme except if you ignore the nag screen, then it keeps on working!
At least for me ...!
I do not know of any file compressed format WinRAR cannot open?

A file, when it is compressed by 7Zip (free), has the extension.7z.

How to open RAR files using WinZip.
Save the .rar file to the desktop. If your compressed file was downloaded from a website, it may be saved in the Downloads folder in your Documents or user directory.
Launch WinZip from your start menu or Desktop shortcut. Open the compressed file by clicking File > Open. If your system has the compressed file extension associated with WinZip program, just double-click on the file.
Select all the files and folders inside the compressed file. Or multi-select only the files or folders you want to open by holding the CTRL key and left-clicking on them.
Click 1-click Unzip and choose Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.
Choose the destination folder to place the extracting files and click the "Unzip" button.
Find your extracted files in the destination folder.

(from the description)
7-Zip supports a number of other compression and non-compression archive formats (both for packing and unpacking), including ZIP, Gzip, bzip2, xz, tar and WIM. The utility also supports unpacking APM, ARJ, CHM, cpio, DEB, FLV, JAR, LHA/LZH, LZMA, MSLZ, Office Open XML, onepkg, RAR, RPM, smzip, SWF, XAR, and Z archives and CramFS, DMG, FAT, HFS, ISO, MBR, NTFS, SquashFS, UDF, and VHD disk images. 7-Zip supports the ZIPX format for unpacking only. It has had this support since at least version 9.20, which was released in late 2010.

I guess it can unpack a RAR file, but can not make one!

Old 09-22-2018, 08:19 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
What does the file-name look like when you say that win10 can open a zip file?
I think the programme that can compress a file in Win10 is called Winzip?
Winzip is just one of many, many programs that can create and extract zip files (the format is open source).

Windows has had built in zip file extraction / creation for several versions (at least since Windows 7, but maybe since Vista). When you right click a .zip file in Windows (without any extra software installed) you'll get an option to extract the file. As expected, it's fairly light on features, and used to be quite slow (but I haven't used it in years).

Quote:
A file, when it is compressed by 7Zip (free), has the extension.7z.
7Zip can also create .zip files. It's an option in both the interface of the program, and in the context menu when you click on a folder.

As you said, 7Zip can open many different formats (if you only need to extract files, it's really all you need), but can only create .zip and .7z files.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or