U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:03 PM

4,920 posts, read 2,511,124 times

Advertisements

they seem like a cdn (content delivery network) similar to a corporation like akamai.

they index content (especially hd streaming) and strategically co-locate them in servers all over the country/world to minimize latency.

they seem to also be a bridge between ipv4 internl nat-ing (network address translation) and ipv6 networks. since there are only 4 billion ipv4 addresses (now that indias and chinas emerging market can now afford cellular smart tele-fones and a lot of older devices are not ipv6 capable yet), companies like this nat out 192.168.*.* ipv4 addresses so that 1 address can be shared for up to 64,000 users.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 09-25-2018 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 07:01 PM

3,807 posts, read 1,306,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
they seem like a cdn (content delivery network) similar to a corporation like akamai.

they index content (especially hd streaming) and strategically co-locate them in servers all over the country/world to minimize latency.

they seem to also be a bridge between ipv4 internl nat-ing (network address translation) and ipv6 networks. since there are only 4 billion ipv4 addresses (now that indias and chinas emerging market can now afford cellular smart tele-fones and a lot of older devices are not ipv6 capable yet), companies like this nat out 192.168.*.* ipv4 addresses so that 1 address can be shared for up to 64,000 users.

Latency? Don't know what that is. No clue about what your last paragraph means, either.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:30 AM

3,547 posts, read 5,683,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Could this company be providing some kind of service (I don't know what you call it) for people to visit pages anonymously?
No. What they do provide is places for people to put servers / websites.

It appears that most of the IP's you listed are in numerous lists as being part of the "Knowledge AI" spider / crawler, along with a couple of others. If your stat counter can provide the User Agent of the visits, it would help (if not check with your hosting provider to see if they have better usage tracking available).

Basically, spiders / crawlers scan every page they can find on the web to create indexes. These indexes are how you can type a search into Google and have it return results (Google isn't scanning everything in real time, but instead giving you a list of things that it's scanned and cataloged in the past).

So in short, it appears that your site was indexed by a company that stores their servers in the data center at Hurricane Electric (or leases servers from Hurricane Electric). What this particular spider is indexing for is hard to say, but there are many different companies that scan sites and provide information about those sites to other companies, search engines, or for analytics.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
No. What they do provide is places for people to put servers / websites.

It appears that most of the IP's you listed are in numerous lists as being part of the "Knowledge AI" spider / crawler, along with a couple of others. If your stat counter can provide the User Agent of the visits, it would help (if not check with your hosting provider to see if they have better usage tracking available).

Basically, spiders / crawlers scan every page they can find on the web to create indexes. These indexes are how you can type a search into Google and have it return results (Google isn't scanning everything in real time, but instead giving you a list of things that it's scanned and cataloged in the past).

So in short, it appears that your site was indexed by a company that stores their servers in the data center at Hurricane Electric (or leases servers from Hurricane Electric). What this particular spider is indexing for is hard to say, but there are many different companies that scan sites and provide information about those sites to other companies, search engines, or for analytics.
Well that sounds like a good thing, then.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Latency? Don't know what that is. No clue about what your last paragraph means, either.

Latency is the delay between the time it takes for a request for data to be received, and the data to be delivered.

So someone types in your domain name in their browser, and latency is the time between when your server receives the request for a page, and returns the contents of the page.

The IPV4 to IPV6 info is pretty low level stuff, but the short version is: Everything connected to the internet is addressed via a numeric IP Address.

The version 4 style addresses (123.456.789.100, etc) are in short supply (no one imagined how many devices would exist today when the standard was finalized in 1981, so the numbering scheme can't keep up).

So the version 6 standard allows longer, more complex addresses (using both numbers and letters, with more segments) to handle a dramatically higher number of devices.

But not every computer or device that exists can use IPV6 addresses, so there are companies that provide rerouting between older addresses and newer ones in some situations (but this is just a product that Hurricane Electric sells, and doesn't have anything to do with the hits on your website).

Old 09-26-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Well that sounds like a good thing, then.
Maybe, maybe not.

It could be legit (scanning for search indexes, or simply doing analytics of some sort), but it could also be a bad spider looking for exploits or known vulnerabilities (outdated software), scanning for email addresses or phone numbers displayed on the site (to add to spam lists), or other nefarious things.

The User Agent of the scan might help ID the bot.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Maybe, maybe not.

It could be legit (scanning for search indexes, or simply doing analytics of some sort), but it could also be a bad spider looking for exploits or known vulnerabilities (outdated software), scanning for email addresses or phone numbers displayed on the site (to add to spam lists), or other nefarious things.

The User Agent of the scan might help ID the bot.
User agent?

I designed all my pages myself, over the last 20 years, using now outdated html code and a little JAVA--along with borrowed bits of programs from here and there. I KNOW I need to update my skills with CSS, etc., but just don't have the time.

Hypothetical: looking at my pages, it's obvious to professional designers that I'm self-taught, but that auto-didact thing isn't working any more at this stage of technology. If I were to go to a good trade school for a couple of years, what degree program should I follow in order to get caught up?

Old 09-26-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
User agent?

I designed all my pages myself, over the last 20 years, using now outdated html code and a little JAVA--along with borrowed bits of programs from here and there. I KNOW I need to update my skills with CSS, etc., but just don't have the time.

Hypothetical: looking at my pages, it's obvious to professional designers that I'm self-taught, but that auto-didact thing isn't working any more at this stage of technology. If I were to go to a good trade school for a couple of years, what degree program should I follow in order to get caught up?
Every program that connects to your server, and requests a page, sends a bunch of info in that request (and it sounds like you're getting at least some of it with your ). Part of that info is a "User Agent" header.

The User Agent is useful for helping determine which browser (and what version of the browser) is asking for the page (widely used to return mobile versions, or special versions of CSS depending upon what a particular browser supports), but can also contain the name of a program or bot that's requesting the site as well.

I'd guess that your host has logs that actually show a bunch more detail than your own counter does, and the User Agent is most likely in those logs. You can usually get detailed stats / logs from the control panel of your hosting package.

As for trade school / degrees, I don't have any real suggestions, but others might chime in with some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or