U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 07:00 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,289,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
A good example is Star Trek Discocery. In the US you need to pay monthly for CBS All Access. In the UK it is available free with Netflix.
Awsome. .now i can cut ties with cbs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 09:35 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,924,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Awsome. .now i can cut ties with cbs..
Try it with your VPN first...but works with me with NordVPN.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:30 PM

2,991 posts, read 1,038,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
... There are advantages and disadvantages to this. This would allow all of the people connected via wifi to the router to automatically be on a VPN. This could be a problem though, some sites don't allow VPN traffic. I think Amazon is one from my experience and it doesn't happen all the time.
I also have Nord. Amazon will usually connect "this month" but every time either Nord or Amazon updates their software there is a chance that they won't get the two to be compatible. At least that is what happened in the past.

A lot of Government agencies, and some banks, however refuse to work with a VPN. Also, there are "anti-spam" lists out there, and at least one of them has Nord on its list of spam servers, so anyone who subscribes to that list will refuse your connection. (I think I have seen that, exactly once.)

If the connection just doesn't seem to work, it is probably some compatibility issue. I get those a lot. If you get "refused connection" errors, then they probably don't want to connect through a VPN.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:18 PM

326 posts, read 198,580 times
It's not so much compatibility as Netflix, and probably Amazon, blacklisting some known VPN servers by IP address. This article has a really good explanation as to the why: https://www.bestvpn.com/guides/netflix-block-vpns/

Cliffs: Netflix really doesn't want to blacklist VPNs. They'd obviously prefer it if everyone with Internet access worldwide subscribed to them and watched all the shows they want. The show producers on the other hand like to sign different broadcast agreements in different countries. Hence they pressured Netflix into blacklisting some VPN servers.

I say some because many still work. This blacklisting is by IP address. If you are using a VPN it looks to the site on the distant end like you are physically sitting at the VPN server. Obviously many VPN providers have dozens of different servers all over the US. Netflix blocks a few, but the others still work. In the meantime the VPN's customers are complaining. The VPN provider doesn't want to lose subscribers so they change their IPs on the servers that they are receiving complaints about.

Voila, the VPN customers who are also Netflix customers are happy. Netflix is happy. I suppose CBS is upset. Of course Netflix and Amazon are making more and more of their own shows and movies.

Going off on a tangent, but awhile back before streaming back in the dark ages of dialup, DSL, and other slower methods that didn't support streaming 4K ... they were putting region codes on DVDs. You'd buy a German movie on DVD and find you couldn't watch it in your US DVD player. Some folks put out free software called DVDDecrypter that among other things stripped the region code from DVDs so that they would play in any player. Best analogy I can think of at the moment.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:44 PM

25,232 posts, read 18,698,996 times
Keep in mind some websites block IP space of known VPN providers. Dating website POF is one. I use Private Internet Access for pretty much anything but playing WoW, posting on C-D, or other safe activities.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:44 PM

14,525 posts, read 15,751,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
I've been using a laptop for years in my home. My normal set up is that I run it on Wifi from the router all the time. I also started using a NordVPN a few months ago. I just got sucked into the advertising pretty much.
You sure did get sucked in. I've been using a VPN for years, and I have a very good and inexpensive one: Invisible VPN http://ibvpn.com ... They have frequent deals. I have their Ultimate plan, $58/year, but unless you needs are extreme I recommend their Standard plan, $37/year. — This is far cheaper than that damned Nord service. That's a sucker deal "seen on TV." I don't know if it works well but the price is a rip-off.

The basic difference is that ... Well just read this: https://www.ibvpn.com/plans-vpn-smartdns-proxy/

I like being able to appear to be coming from anywhere in the world, like even Russia or China. Use your browser in safe mode and nobody will be able to find you (except maybe the US government).

It's important to understand when to use it and when not!!!

Don't use it full time because max speed is 10 Mbps. I have a 100 Mbps connection so if I use it full time it vastly restricts my bandwidth.

Your WiFi is already protected (if you set it up correctly) so you only need it at home unless you want total privacy and zero tracking.

HERE IS WHEN YOU REALLY NEED IT: If you are using a WiFi hot spot somewhere, you are subject to two hacks:

(1) Wireshark sniffing, this is a packet reader that snoops data packets and anything in the clear (like perhaps email passwords?) can be intercepted. https://www.wireshark.org/ (free download) I used to use this program as a software developer when developing Internet hardware. I remember looking at my laptop and realizing I was looking at a fellow employee's email login. We were on the same wired network.

(2) Man in the Middle attack: A hacker sets up a portable WiFi hotspot and pretends to be the one you think you're logging into. With the right software the hacker can convert your data into readable form, sniff and store it, and then run your connection through the real hotspot or other data connection.

You absolutely MUST use a VPN when using public hotspots. Note that cellular data is secure, this applies to public WiFi only.

I like ibVPN so much I've already paid 3-4 years in advance. (I had a lot of BTC and decided to spend it all late last year, all gone! )

So to sum it up:

(1) You do not need a VPN at home unless you need the privacy feature that you wish complete anonymity.

(2) You DO need a VPN if you use public WiFi hotspots! You absolutely need this! You even need it on your cell or tablet away from home if you use WiFi instead of cellular data. ibVPN has cellphone apps (Android or IOS), and also has a handy Firefox add-on that encrypts just your browser.

My best advice is either do not use public WiFi hotspots or get some kind of VPN service.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:33 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,973,633 times
Wow. Judgy much?
Nord is $48 /year with the current deal and they don't have tiers. You get everything for that $48.
And you're paying $58? Who got "sucked in"?

Old 10-05-2018, 08:48 AM

3,988 posts, read 2,623,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Wow. Judgy much?
Nord is $48 /year with the current deal and they don't have tiers. You get everything for that $48.
And you're paying $58? Who got "sucked in"?
I actually got Nord for $72 for 3 years, so $2 a month. Hell of a deal that I couldn't pass up. Now that demand has gone up I guess the price went up a bit, still pretty good though.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:27 PM

14,525 posts, read 15,751,060 times
I told you people, ibVPN has deals throughout the year. A sale isn't a sale if it's all year 'round. You can easily get 50% off the list price if you wait for the deals. And remember that not all VPNs are equal.

I hope at least my technical discussion helped some of you. I've found that almost nobody knows the proper use of VPNs. I gave you everything I've got. You decide if you need a VPN or not, and how to use it.

And remember, if you are browsing using a public WiFi you absolutely MUST use a VPN. (I prefer to not use public WiFi and trust my cellular data much more.)

Old 10-05-2018, 06:03 PM

2,991 posts, read 1,038,611 times
Wow. arguing over the price of a Latte?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or