U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:50 AM

2,896 posts, read 1,701,905 times

Advertisements

Some laptops are marketed as "desktop replacements." The typically have 15.6" screens or larger, and weigh 4+ pounds. They often have both SSD and HDD storage.

Then there are the smaller laptops that emphasize portability and thinness. Their screens are 14" or smaller, they often weigh 2 pounds or less, and don't have the thickness or general space for a HDD. I have one of these with a 128 GB SSD. I don't save photos or videos on the drive, so space has been no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 12:28 PM

1,525 posts, read 2,510,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Disagree with all of that. 1TB laptops are anything but rare. There's a lot of people not storing everything they need on Dropbox or Google Drive.
A lot.

Search> Amazon> 1 TB laptops: result
1-24 of over 10,000 results for Electronics : Computers & Accessories : Computers & Tablets : Laptops : 1 TB
This. Even laptops a few years ago came standard with a 1TB drive. I have a 1TB NVMe drive in my Dell. Not a whole lot of apps, but a ton of pictures and I keep OneDrive synced to it. All that takes up space and I don't particularly want to worry about running out of it on vacation. Plus it boots and resumes in something like 5 seconds, that's handy too. I've stated it before, I'll never go back to a mechanical drive.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:35 PM

20,914 posts, read 11,725,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Disagree with all of that. 1TB laptops are anything but rare. There's a lot of people not storing everything they need on Dropbox or Google Drive.
A lot.

Search> Amazon> 1 TB laptops: result
1-24 of over 10,000 results for Electronics : Computers & Accessories : Computers & Tablets : Laptops : 1 TB
Well, when I said "rare" in this circumstance, I was talking in terms of percentages and offerings. A 1TB laptop is not any manufacturer's most commonly offered increment.

When I first swapped out my spinning disk for an SSD in a Thinkpad--that was a decade ago--I was looking toward the day of installing a 1TB SSD into one.

These days, cloud storage has improved to the point that I wouldn't recommend such a thing for most people. I still use gobs of storage--I do photo and video editing--but I'd recommend for nearly everyone either using cloud or fast NAS if they really need that much storage. A terabyte is a lot to carry around town in your hands.

I've got 15TB on NAS with another 30TB in backup storage.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:36 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Where's my popcorn?

Old 10-02-2018, 09:29 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Nah, Tek, it's all good. This won't be long. Maybe the single serving popcorn.

As I said my desktop has a 1 TB hard drive, attached to a raided external 1 TB. That's where my stuff goes.
I have a sweet little convertible laptop that stays on the main floor of the house when we just want to check email or surf the web or login to work. 256 SSD. Oh, I have Civ6 installed on that, too.

I have an enormous amount of Cloud storage available to me. In total 1TB (OneDrive) + 50GB (Box) + 18GB (DropBox)+ 17GB (Google). I'm using maybe 4gb's. I am not storing any of my stuff there. I synch my pictures from my phone in case I lose it, which I then periodically move to me home setup. I keep some documents there like manuals for stuff around the house. And some resumes and cover letters...I like quick access to that.
A few other things. Not much.
Seems kind of silly to me, and insecure, to use that stuff for your main storage. I want my stuff to be easily accessible to my family in the event of... well... just easily accessible and safely stored with zero worry of being hacked.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:21 PM

295 posts, read 232,761 times
SSD prices have come down substantially but still more when compared to HDD in price/gb. So if you're looking at a budget laptop with an SSD then yea the SSD size is going to be quite paltry. Up your budget some more and you'll start seeing laptops with 512gb or more. Some will even have the SSD in a M.2 format and a larger HDD for storage in the 2.5" hole for users who need the speed and storage space.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:06 AM

28 posts, read 8,105 times
only an idiot would pay more for less, it's the stupidest thing I've seen with the most recent laptops, people are paying more for less, less hard drive space, lower picture and video quality due to the change from glossy to anti-glare screens, it makes no sense. I only have around 10% left of my hard drive and it's 500gb HDD. The next laptop I get will have at least 500 gb or more. I already tested a laptop with 256 SSD. The startup time was only 5 seconds faster than my laptop.... so SSD hard drives are useless and unnecessary.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 AM

4,590 posts, read 8,195,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherUnique2018 View Post
is 256 GB SSD the same as 256 GB HDD? Because 256 GB HDD is nothing.... so I don't know why these newer laptops are only selling 256 GB SSD. Other than storage amount what else is difference between SSD and HDD? My laptop is HDD and 500 GB. Does this mean if I want to get the same amount of storage I have to buy 500 GB SSD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherUnique2018 View Post
only an idiot would pay more for less, it's the stupidest thing I've seen with the most recent laptops, people are paying more for less, less hard drive space, lower picture and video quality due to the change from glossy to anti-glare screens, it makes no sense. I only have around 10% left of my hard drive and it's 500gb HDD. The next laptop I get will have at least 500 gb or more. I already tested a laptop with 256 SSD. The startup time was only 5 seconds faster than my laptop.... so SSD hard drives are useless and unnecessary.
Your initial question shows you have very little knowledge of the subject (and there's nothing wrong with that). But, you then make a statement that illustrates your ignorance.

Perhaps you should do some research on the differences between HDD and SSD before calling other people idiots. Based on your logic, anyone that buys steak are idiots because you can get the same weight in ground beef for much less.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:00 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Sorry I wasted my time in this thread...

For anyone seeking real knowledge trust (most) of us: SSD's make a HUGE difference.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:30 AM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
I guess my popcorn question pretty much sums it up. Now we know that if this posters asks for help we can ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers